TWO new football commits!

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Wow, Ecby is very well coached. What great technique he has on everything he does. Routes, catching, blocking...and he plays physical. Very good speed too. I like this pick up a lot.

I will agree with you on everything but blocking. Not that you can really expect him to be an outstanding blocker as a WR like him coming out of your Jr year in highschool, but I have no idea why they put that last two plays on there with a hold and a clip on both of them. I just thought it was funny, not trying to knock him or anything.

cyfan15

Oct 23, 2006
Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but he was never officially offered by those schools. Still a great pick up though.

Also, does anyone know why some kids don't have a ranking yet? A lot of our commits haven't been assigned a ranking, which is puzzling. Not that stars matter all that much. Just curious if they wait until the high school season to start before ranking everyone else or if some kids just never get assigned a ranking?

My best guess on why so many don't have a ranking yet is that we have more commits than we usually do at this time. A lot of times even during the season we get commits that are unrated, then they end up with two or three stars. The earlier it is, the more likely it is recruits haven't been evaluated yet. My guess is that this class will end up pretty similar to the last few classes.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
I don't remember us getting anybody from the Houston area. I really don't know the suburbs. It seams like most guys are from the Dallas area.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I have never really followed recruiting, but it seems like Rhoads is really hitting the recruiting hard and getting more commits earlier than we normally do. Is this a fair statement, or am I way off base?

That is true, and it reflects the National trend of recruits committing earlier.

Looks like we have the class half filled already!

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I kind of look at Ecby as our next Sedrick Johnson. It's always good to have one sure handed guy with some height that can stretch the field. Then surround him with a bunch of lightning quick jitterbug guys like Jarvis West.

I just hope to see some good sized DL recruits with the remaining open schollies.

We have 2 DEs right now in Lemke and Irving. We probably need to add another JUCO DE IMO with us losing Parker next year. But we are going to need DT's in a serious way.

Also... LBs. We do have Kyle Boyd and Jevohn Miller already committed, and Jared Brackens may have the size to end up at LB too? I think we desperately will need a JUCO LB as well that can step in right away and provide depth.

QB is done. RB... maybe Standard? OL- maybe 2 more. TE? WR is done IMO. Thoughts?

d30fan

Jul 6, 2007
I hope that we are getting good talent before they come to the attention of the analysts, that just haven't been rated yet. I don't recall this many on board going into the season anytime in the last 5 or 6 years. I am inclined to think this is a product of highly regarded staff with good contacts in their respective recruiting areas. Maybe we are getting good intell on late developing players that aren't widely known. Hope that's the case.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I'm sure these guys are not "reaches" by any means. I don't think you offer kids at this stage of the game that you aren't quite sure are the real deal. Those so-called "reaches" usually come VERY late in the game, many times on signing day, to fill out your allotment if you miss out on some of the guys you really wanted.

So I'm sure the coaches are very high on these guys from what they've seen personally. That's enough for me. I think good character and hard working kids are what Rhoads values the most. I think he'd take a whole team of Jeff Woody's right now. I'm sold.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
I'm sure these guys are not "reaches" by any means. I don't think you offer kids at this stage of the game that you aren't quite sure are the real deal. Those so-called "reaches" usually come VERY late in the game, many times on signing day, to fill out your allotment if you miss out on some of the guys you really wanted.

So I'm sure the coaches are very high on these guys from what they've seen personally. That's enough for me. I think good character and hard working kids are what Rhoads values the most. I think he'd take a whole team of Jeff Woody's right now. I'm sold.
Great post. As far as star rankings a lot of these guys will probably get a two or three when their ranked. A 2 usually goes to anybody who committs to a D1 school, and a 3 would be considered a good pickup according to the "experts". If one of the Sam Richardson's decommited and went to say Alabama they would magically be 4 or 5 by Monday.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
Great post. As far as star rankings a lot of these guys will probably get a two or three when their ranked. A 2 usually goes to anybody who committs to a D1 school, and a 3 would be considered a good pickup according to the "experts". If one of the Sam Richardson's decommited and went to say Alabama they would magically be 4 or 5 by Monday.

No they wouldn't.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
Reference Marcus Trice, who we recruited by us last year as a 5'8" corner--and after he committed to OU, ended up a four star. Of course, he's also in OU's two deep at safety now...

They re evaluate players all throughout the year. C.J. Morgan was a 2 star player, but he ended up being a 3 star. Adrian Bennett was the same way. I'm guessing that Trice was 5.7 3 star player, which means he was barely not a 4 star player and after re evaluation he was seen as a better player than others and was viewed as a higher ranked player.

The ranking system ranks prospects on a numerical scale from 6.1-4.9.

6.1 Franchise Player; considered one of the elite prospects in the country, generally among the nation's top 25 players overall; deemed to have excellent pro potential; high-major prospect

6.0-5.8 All-American Candidate; high-major prospect; considered one of the nation's top 300 prospects; deemed to have pro potential and ability to make an impact on college team

5.7-5.5 All-Region Selection; considered among the region's top prospects and among the top 750 or so prospects in the country; high-to-mid-major prospect; deemed to have pro potential and ability to make an impact on college team

5.4-5.0 Division I prospect; considered a mid-major prospect; deemed to have limited pro potential but definite Division I prospect; may be more of a role player

4.9 Sleeper; no Rivals.com expert knew much, if anything, about this player; a prospect that only a college coach really knew about

RedBlooded

Jun 11, 2010
cedar falls
i just watched rad Tads highlight video. He has great hands seeing how he had to fight for the ball every time since it was under thrown a lot.