Turnpike Troubadours End Hiatus!

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Yesterday was a great day. And of ******* course that Red Rocks show is right in the middle of planting.

Turnpike is my favorite band of the past decade. Evan Felker is the best songwriter born after 1975. I've seen them close to 10 times, and the first time they played Wooly's (July of 2013) is probably my favorite concert of all time. They were still relatively unknown and were still genuinely surprised to play for crowds that size. The group I was with saw them come into the Locust Tap pre-show, and we waved them over to our table. They sat down with us and BS'd and drank for over an hour. They're basically the same age us, and just good dudes all around. It was very obvious that Felker had some kind of social anxiety, and he was in no uncertain terms looking for more than what was sold at the bar. The show that night was absolutely wild. People were jumping off the bar at Wooly's into the crowd. Felker said something to the crowd about this being as wild as playing in Texas, and someone in the crowd yelled "**** TEXAS, YOU'RE DRINKIN' IN IOWA NOW". The band was almost in tears laughing.

I've seen them a bunch of times since, and it was always a great show, but it will be hard for any show to top that one in my mind.

I ******* love this band, and you should too.

WISCY1895

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 25, 2009
I have been lucky enough to see them like 6 times. Always a great show. I could however tell something was off right before Evan went to rehab. That show wasn’t quite as good as the others. Glad he’s doing well and they are back. When Ragweed broke up I was desperate to find a new favorite band and Turnpike came along right when I needed them to.

Reactions: Al_4_State

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I've listened to all of Ragweed's catalog, and while I think they're a good band and Cody seems like a really good dude, I don't think they're on Turnpike's level at all.

Somewhere around 2015 or so, there started to be occasional videos of Evan being absolutely trashed on stage, and the only time I met him, he was definitely looking to get after it, but it started to seem like things were under control. When he ditched his wife for Miranda Lambert, I think things really spiraled. The last time I saw them was in the summer of 2018 (about 9 months before the hiatus) and they were excellent. He seemed fine.

I'm in some Facebook groups where family members from the band would post, and it was pretty obvious around the time of the hiatus that were extremely raw feelings. There was some real anger from the rest of the band towards Felker, but thankfully time has healed that wound. I hope they can all keep it together (it sounds like Kyle Nix got into it pretty bad during COVID) and keep making great music.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Great news! Can't make it to Red Rocks but hope they do a full tour and make a stop this way.

• Agree
Reactions: JM4CY

FarmClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2009
Can’t wait to see these guys again. Last time I saw them was in Cedar Rapids in 2016ish. Felker was out of his mind and looked like he was about to pass out half a dozen times in the middle of songs. Still a fun time. Glad to see they are sobered up, I just hope the new music doesn’t suck like most bands that sober up initially.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Can’t wait to see these guys again. Last time I saw them was in Cedar Rapids in 2016ish. Felker was out of his mind and looked like he was about to pass out half a dozen times in the middle of songs. Still a fun time. Glad to see they are sobered up, I just hope the new music doesn’t suck like most bands that sober up initially.

I think only Evan Felker and Kyle Nix are "officially" sober. I follow RC Edwards and his other band (RC & The Ambers) and Hank Early is part of it. They're usually having beers on-stage and stuff. Never wasted, just normal drinking.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I just discovered these guys a few years back. I really like the genre, whatever you want to call it!

I was at ISU when Ragweed came to the M-shop, right before/as they blew up on country radio. My roommate went and said it was awesome. Jerk didn't invite me!

Reactions: cyclone1209

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Love the band and Evan's songwriting (Before the Devil Knows You're Dead is my favorite song of his) but I feel obligated to point out that Jason Isbel was born in 1979. Make that "after 1980" and I'll agree.

I'm very aware of when Jason Isbell was born and I absolutely meant what I said. I realize it's not a commonly held view point.

• Wow
Reactions: bawbie

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I'm very aware of when Jason Isbell was born and I absolutely meant what I said. I realize it's not a commonly held view point.

It is, however, the correct one. Inject Diamonds and Gasoline into my veins.

Not that you can really go wrong with either one.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
It is, however, the correct one.

Not that you can really go wrong with either one.

I was a fan of Isbell back when he was still in the Drive-By Truckers. He's a phenomenal songwriter, arguably the best when he's at the top of his game.

But there's a lot of filler in his catalog, especially on the last 3 albums. "Reunions" was just bad, IMO.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I was a fan of Isbell back when he was still in the Drive-By Truckers. He's a phenomenal songwriter, arguably the best when he's at the top of his game.

But there's a lot of filler in his catalog, especially on the last 3 albums. "Reunions" was just bad, IMO.

My response wasn't clear. I totally agree with you plus Isbell's writing has gone a tad too political for my taste. Music is an escape.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Best band out there. Best news music-wise I’ve heard in a long time.

Saw them live on the river plaza downtown Des Moines a few years ago. Great show!

Reactions: cyclone1209