Trouble brewin'?!?

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
- The Iowa State University Athletics Department learned in the last week of possible improper activities between a student-athlete in its men's basketball program and a family, with whom he had a relationship for several years. The institution has secured the services of Chuck Smrt and The Compliance Group to conduct an inquiry, but has not determined whether an NCAA violation has occurred or the severity of the situation.

The Compliance Group's review is looking at benefits received in 2005-06 by Jiri Hubalek, a native of Prague, Czech Republic. The relationship started several years ago when Hubalek came to the United States. Iowa State University will not make public additional information until the inquiry, which is expected to last 3-4 weeks, is completed.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Sorry, i guess i didnt see Jeremy post about it on the homepage. I guess lately we can never have enough bad news.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Let's see, Kiri has been a Cyclone for quite awhile, and now the investigation pops up. H-M-M-M-W-M?

dbronco7sc

Mar 25, 2006
Brookings, SD
Visit site
honestly, I highly doubt Morgan has refocused all of his efforts on destroying ISU... considering ISU is still paying him money, I doubt he would do anything to risk losing that money, and even if there were no risk, he's not behind this.

toddbakke

Mar 20, 2006
[quote1146546069=dbronco7sc]
honestly, I highly doubt Morgan has refocused all of his efforts on destroying ISU... considering ISU is still paying him money, I doubt he would do anything to risk losing that money, and even if there were no risk, he's not behind this.
[/quote1146546069]

Given its something that has been going on for several years, I do not
believe ISU was involved with this, but may have been guilty of having an in eligible
player on their team.

1) ISU forfeits games this past year for using an ineligible player,

2) He loses his eligibility next year (that would suck)

Lets see what comes out, before we all panic. ISU may get a slap but doubt if it will be too severe.

jjl

Apr 11, 2006
Your right he is not trying to destroy ISU but if what appears to have happened, has happened, then it occurred on his watch. Nothing has impressed me during his tenure and this makes one more example of his poor leadership.

I guess I should be thankful that we did not get a post season invite and that the other so called scandal came to light right away. If JP had to wait for this one to unveil to can WM, I wonder if GMac would have taken the job, or if he would have even been around.

Thank God for JP and GMac!

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
He still sounds really bitter though. Quote from the DMR:

"I don't know anything about it, so I'm not going to comment on anything I don't know about. I suggest you call other people. It's their program now."

I wouldn't be too happy about getting fired either but if my employer had to pay me 2 years salary to sit at home, I might not be as angry...

Cutlass

Mar 23, 2006
Omaha
ramblingscotty.blogspot.com
I'm willing to bet a case of beer that this becomes much ado about nothing. Jiri probally recieved a little spending money or perhaps a Christmas present or two from this family who has psuedo adopted him since coming to the US. As long as the family are not ISU boosters and helped direct him to ISU, I don't think anything will come of it.

I suspect that McDermott is being extra cautious due to the potential D1 scheduling fiasco, and trying to stay on top of even the tinest of possible violations.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
Cutlass, I think you are right on. That is my suspicion as well. This family is a "host" family. They probably have treated Jiri like their own child and may have given him things any parents would give their child. Seems to me that his might be a gray area. I'm thinking the investigation will amount to nothing.

musicboy

Apr 10, 2006
I'm sure this won't be a big deal, if anything Jiri might take the heat. But we can all think WM for yet another problem...I think we can all see now, more and more, why he was canned. Not only were the wheels comming off but these little side issues were cropping up - ISU doesn't need a massive NCAA investigation. Who knows what other skeletons are in the closet at Hilton.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
And this story is making all the Big 12 hometowns - not good for recruiting unless explained away quickly.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
I think it's pretty common for the skeletons to come out of the closet after the previous coaches leave. Look what happened at OU and KU.

The new administration has every incentive to get whatever dirt there may be out in the open as soon as they find out. Didn't ISU disclose the whole pay-for-FT-shooting thing right after LE left?

musicboy

Apr 10, 2006
That's a good point St. Louis Clone. Funny how these things rise to the surface when the old coach is gone - just like at KU and OU as you said - but it happens all over the country and in FB too. Perhaps this is saying that most programs, while appearing to be clean and not breaking major rules, may not be 100% clean either? People are saying GMAC will be 100% clean, what do others think?

jay moe

Apr 10, 2006
southern iowa
No program is 100% clean. It is hard to monitor student athletes and their personal business. The people who get caught are either not too sly or are ratted out by someone else who doesn't want to get caught. It is the truth of the business.