Trail Cam Pictures

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Without reading anything, how the hell do Mountain Lions get all the way here, and how can the DNR confirm its a male without even seeing it?

there have been multiple sightings in my area of IL and I always wondered how the hell they got there with the Mississippi in the way. Thought cats didn't like water and coming thru Canada seems like a long haul.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
You can tell by the way it is.

Mountain lions have been here for years, found tracks around 1998 and horses were attacked in 2000. Im assuming those werent the very first lions around. They come here because we have fantastic habitat and food sources. The DNR didnt release them (im assuming that was a joke) but many people beleive that because theyve been found with tracking chips in them which means nothing, just they were being tracked. Most people assume they come across the river in the winter.

What I find more interesting is the growing numbers of black bear reports especially in sw iowa which makes no sense to me whatsoever.

I have heard/read they were making their way north from the Ozarks/Arkansas, whether that is true or not I do not know.

CYme

Dec 6, 2011
Pella, IA
You can tell by the way it is.

Mountain lions have been here for years, found tracks around 1998 and horses were attacked in 2000. Im assuming those werent the very first lions around. They come here because we have fantastic habitat and food sources. The DNR didnt release them (im assuming that was a joke) but many people beleive that because theyve been found with tracking chips in them which means nothing, just they were being tracked. Most people assume they come across the river in the winter.

What I find more interesting is the growing numbers of black bear reports especially in sw iowa which makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Global Warming. Only explanation. Or the DNR. That too. Or maybe aliens.

:jimlad:

MarkCorrigan

Sep 16, 2013
there have been multiple sightings in my area of IL and I always wondered how the hell they got there with the Mississippi in the way. Thought cats didn't like water and coming thru Canada seems like a long haul.

cfiles27371.jpg

or

Frozen-Mississippi-River.jpg

and

mountain-lion-swimming.png

Last edited:

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
they cross water in the winter is what ive always been told

that seems logical. They had a sighting one year by two hunters. DNR said no, probably just saw a coyote. Two hunters said "well it was 20 feet up in a tree with a deer." They took pictures of the deer carcass in the tree the next day. Coyotes hauling a deer up into a tree? Suuuuuuuuuuure.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
Without reading anything, how the hell do Mountain Lions get all the way here, and how can the DNR confirm its a male without even seeing it?

Question 1 - I believe they have legs and likely walk.

Question 2 - My buddy works for the DNR and he said they were pretty sure when it started humping their leg.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I question the validity of this picture because it was supposedly taken in Alabama, and as you can clearly see in the picture is a pensecola pine sapling. There isnt pensecola pines in Alabama. But nice try.

he also said "recent" and that timestamp is from 2010. Sorry, going to have to call fake. :jimlad:

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Not on the Trail Cam, but I live pretty close to the old 20th century bowling alley, and when I pulled in last night, I found a fox chasing a rabbit, catch it, and then just start eating it right in front of me.

Probably wouldn't have a fox issue if the neighbors two doors down didn't have a bunch of chickens.
Hmmm sounds like we need a place called the Fox Lounge in the area. (RIP Fox Lounge)