Trail Cam Pictures

BlackHawk

Sep 30, 2010
How does one trap an animal without putting any effort into it? Trapping is a lot more complex than you think it is.

Pretty minimal. Most hunters I know watch deer for long time before ever harvesting one; sometimes years. Ethical and respectful hunters get passed when someone shoots a young buck just so they could get one that year. They watch and wait sometimes an entire season and never pull the trigger. That is what I'm talking about. As opposed to a bunch of feedbacks who load up their trucks with Busch light and go push deer for an hour so some jobber can stand the other side waiting to blast away.

Last edited:

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I never implied it was against the law to trap. My statement was about people HUNTING legally, as I have no issue with people HUNTING so long as they follow the law and do it respectfully. Trapping is not hunting. Trapping is pretty f'd up IMO. What sense of joy/accomplishment/pride does one get from knowing an animal you didn't put any effort into harvesting, won't use the meat, etc, suffered a pretty slow and horrible death so you could have it's hide?

It's called 'fur harvesting' for a reason.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I never implied it was against the law to trap. My statement was about people HUNTING legally, as I have no issue with people HUNTING so long as they follow the law and do it respectfully. Trapping is not hunting. Trapping is pretty f'd up IMO. What sense of joy/accomplishment/pride does one get from knowing an animal you didn't put any effort into harvesting, won't use the meat, etc, suffered a pretty slow and horrible death so you could have it's hide?

You obviously know very little about trapping.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Pretty minimal. Most hunters I know watch deer for long time before ever harvesting one; sometimes years. Ethical and respectful hunters get passed when someone shoots a young buck just so they could get one that year. They watch and wait sometimes an entire season and never pull the trigger. That is what I'm talking about. As opposed to a bunch of feedbacks who load up their trucks with Busch light and go push deer for an hour so some jobber can stand the other side waiting to blast away.

You mean like it traditionally was done for hundreds of years?

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006

Iowa DNR officer shoots black bear

A DNR agent shot a black bear out side his home. It was a little over a mile from my parents home. Everyone down home thinks they caught the bear and staged the shooting. who knows.

Why do people think that the DNR has nothing better to do than randomly release bears and mountain lions around Iowa? Damn people are stupid. Mountain lions and bears were here long before Iowa was Iowa. They are still found regularly in states adjoining us. It isn't that big of a leap to think that they don't always stop at the state line and turn around.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Why do people think that the DNR has nothing better to do than randomly release bears and mountain lions around Iowa? Damn people are stupid. Mountain lions and bears were here long before Iowa was Iowa. They are still found regularly in states adjoining us. It isn't that big of a leap to think that they don't always stop at the state line and turn around.

They probably don't.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

You answered your own question.

People are idiots. There is no motivation, no available budget, and no reason for DNR to release mountain lions and bears in Iowa. People are too stupid to understand that a small number of these animals will travel here from other states.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

Trapping is a helluva lot more complex than you think it is.

Hey I agree with you on ethical hunting and all that, but running a trap line would be a lot of work.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
You answered your own question.

People are idiots. There is no motivation, no available budget, and no reason for DNR to release mountain lions and bears in Iowa. People are too stupid to understand that a small number of these animals will travel here from other states.

Not saying that I believe it, but the most common claimed reasoning for the DNR realeasing mountain lions is to help suppress the deer population.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Not saying that I believe it, but the most common claimed reasoning for the DNR realeasing mountain lions is to help suppress the deer population.

The overpopulation and dry summers and hard winters have taken care of that problem.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

Yeah, that is a terrible reason... people actually believe that? Sure is a lot easier, cost effective, and reasonable just to allow more anterless deer tags than to capture and transport mountain lions here for release.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
The overpopulation and dry summers and hard winters have taken care of that problem.

To be fair, those rumors started in Southeast Iowa (where I'm from) over 15 years ago prior to the hard winters and dry summers.

Last edited:

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX

So it's more ethical to sit all season and wait to only shoot a trophy buck and nothing else? Riiiiight.

When I hunted we always pushed deer and shot the best deer within range. Of course we always hoped for a big buck for bragging rights, but we had tags to fill so we weren't usually picky. We hunted for meat and to help control the deer population. Is that unethical?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

Pukes? Feedbacks? Jobbers? You have a very unique vocabulary of insults.

isu22andy

Sep 17, 2012
You're a dbag of the worst kind. I have no problem with people who hunt and do it respectfully; ones who follow the law and harvest the animal the right way. But it takes a special kind of puke to trap animals.

Trapping when done correctly is very humane plus it balances the population. Have you noticed how many raccoon there are dead on the side of the road? What about those ones that are hit and not killed instantly and left to die a slow painful death in the woods? Are car drivers Dbags too?

Apr 19, 2006
Yeah, that's crazy. I guess I didn't know they got that big. Then again, I'm not to familiar with them either as I've only seen them in a zoo.

Crazy having bobcats, mountain lions, and who knows what else is out there running around. Going out hunting this weekend has anybody seen any pheasants? Mainly in SW Iowa.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron