Toyota Avalon

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Have been toying around with getting a third vehicle as my oldest will be able to get a school permit in another 6 months. Let a local mechanic know that and he found a beautiful 2007 Avalon with 155,000 miles on it. We got a deal put together and should be getting later today.

We really liked test driving this car. Way more powerful than either our Odyssey or Durango and really quiet. Also gets 30 mpg on the highway. It has a lot of safety features which you want for kids. My wife is going to use it as work car for a while and I joked half seriously that she may not want to give it up when the time comes.

Have a great friend with a year older model who has 400,000 miles on his. The only problem he has had are the coils going bad. He just put new brakes on for the first time a little while ago!

Hoping this car will take my kids through their college years at ISU!

Last edited:

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
thumb-up-terminator+pablo+M+R.jpg

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Have been toying around with getting a third vehicle as my oldest will be able to get a school permit in another 6 months. Let a local mechanic know that and he found a beautiful 2007 Avalon with 155,000 miles on it. We got a deal put together and should be getting later today.

We really liked test driving this car. Way more powerful than either our Odyssey or Durango and really quiet. Also gets 30 mpg on the highway. It has a lot of safety features which you want for kids. My wife is going to use it as work car for a while and I joked half seriously that she may not want to give it up when the time comes.

Have a great friend with a year older model who has 400,000 miles on his. The only problem he has had are the coils going bad. He just put new brakes on for the first time a little while ago!

Hoping this car will take my kids through their college years at ISU!
Toyotas will run forever it seems like. I just got my 05 Camry over 100,000 miles yesterday and the only issue is the cooling system is leaking, but they said that I can probably go 5,000-10,000 miles before it needs replaced. I consistently get 29+ mpg driving to Ames.

Reactions: Bobber

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I have a 2007 Avalon with 162000 miles. I love it.
The heated seats thing will make you think you can never go back.
The rear screen motor will never really work, and is probably shot by now, since that car is around 155k.

You'll love the car. It's good stuff.

Reactions: Bobber

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Toyota related question: Has anyone had an issue with their windshield getting chipped easily? I purchased a new Camry in November and every tiny stone has caused a chip. None of them are in my view and they are all pretty minor, but I currently have 4 in my windshield. It seems abnormally brittle compared to previous vehicles I've owned.

• Agree
Reactions: GTO

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Toyota related question: Has anyone had an issue with their windshield getting chipped easily? I purchased a new Camry in November and every tiny stone has caused a chip. None of them are in my view and they are all pretty minor, but I currently have 4 in my windshield. It seems abnormally brittle compared to previous vehicles I've owned.
I haven't had any issues with our Highlander windshield.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Yes, mine has chipped and cracked twice. I have 140,000 miles on my 2009 Camry. Been paid off for a few years and thinking of getting a used Venza or an Avalon, but pretty sure it could still go at least another 100k miles.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Yes, mine has chipped and cracked twice. I have 140,000 miles on my 2009 Camry. Been paid off for a few years and thinking of getting a used Venza or an Avalon, but pretty sure it could still go at least another 100k miles.

I bet I maybe had 2 cracks combined with all of the other vehicles I've owned. It's been odd. If I hit a stray leaf or a junebug, I half expect to get showered with glass.

• Funny
Reactions: GTO

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I don't know, but I do think there is an issue with that. I have quite a few chips in my windshield, but they are all fine. My dad had to get his windshield replaced, from a crack, but that was already a new windshield from an accident. My mom has a crack in hers as well , but it doesn't seem to be growing.

Maybe it is how the glass is shaped and not an issue with the actual glass?

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I bought a 2006 a couple years ago and now has 155,000 miles and runs great. The leather dash I think they've had problems and it is cracking but I could care less.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006

Those kits you can get at auto parts stores really work well for the chips. I haven't had the same issue as you, but I cannot find a set of wipers that won't streak on my 2015 Corolla. None, and I've tried about everything from the most expensive to the cheapest. And I do use Rain X.