Tip amount for a Tattoo...

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
Tomorrow evening I am going to get my 5th tattoo and I don't remember how must I have tipped in the past. I have not been to this tattoo artist before; what is a typical tip amount on a tattoo quoted around $125? I saw he blocked off 2 hours of time when I set this up. The design will be something out of a photo I took with.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Tomorrow evening I am going to get my 5th tattoo and I don't remember how must I have tipped in the past. I have not been to this tattoo artist before; what is a typical tip amount on a tattoo quoted around $125? I saw he blocked off 2 hours of time when I set this up. The design will be something out of a photo I took with.

Picture of Vonn?

HiltonMagic

Apr 12, 2006
CA
Visit site
just make sure you don't go to this guy

worst-tattoo.jpg

Last edited:

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
If you are paying good money for a service and they perform said service is there a need to tip?

Before I get ripped (which I'm sure I will) for this hypothetical question. Yes, I tip for excellent service but don't always tip just because "you are suppose to tip".

Last edited:
Reactions: mwitt

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
If you are paying good money for a service and they perform said service is there a need to tip?

Before I get ripped (which I'm sure I will) for this hypothetical question. Yes, I tip for excellent service but don't always tip just because "you are suppose to tip".

Not unless you want hepatitis next time.

Bubbahotep

Jul 23, 2008
Des Moines

Nope, you don't tip because you're cheap.

JHudd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Plano, TX
Glad I saw this thread, I am going to get some work done soon and would have never even thought to tip. I will if that is the standard, expected thing but I was figuring that when they quoted you a price for the work it was what they wanted paid for doing the work.

This will be my third tatoo and I hadn't tipped on the last two but they were done over 10 years ago. Learn something new everyday on CF.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames

Good point Mr. Pink.

Tank

Sep 13, 2008
Niceville, FL
It is all dependent. What I mean by dependent is that it doesn't matter how much time the artist blocks off but how long it actually takes and how good the artist's service is. It also depends on if you plan on seeing this artist more than once. I have gone to same artist before 3 times and tipped him well each time b/c he was that good and everytime you go back, he will remember you as an individual and not just another person coming in to get work done. I have also only tipped about $5.00 on a tattoo that took more time to prep than complete and only cost $40.00 total to begin with. As for always tipping, I would say it depends again b/c it is such a delicate and permanent thing that you are getting done but if the final product sucks, you have a lot more things to worry about than the tip!

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006

Thanks for the link.

Glad I saw this thread, I am going to get some work done soon and would have never even thought to tip. I will if that is the standard, expected thing but I was figuring that when they quoted you a price for the work it was what they wanted paid for doing the work.

This will be my third tatoo and I hadn't tipped on the last two but they were done over 10 years ago. Learn something new everyday on CF.

I don't think I tipped on my first one, as the lady just traced the design I brought in.

I also plan on getting an estimate of my next tattoo: The I-State logo. :yes:

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids

I'm with ya on this one! My last tatoo ran me $175 and only took him 45 minutes. Pretty sure the last time I checked thats a pretty good hourly wage. So hell no I wasn't gonna tip.

Bubbahotep

Jul 23, 2008
Des Moines
I'm with ya on this one! My last tatoo ran me $175 and only took him 45 minutes. Pretty sure the last time I checked thats a pretty good hourly wage. So hell no I wasn't gonna tip.
I'd say you got overcharged. My last tattoo took 2.5 hours and it cost me 200, including the 40 dollar tip.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I'd say you got overcharged. My last tattoo took 2.5 hours and it cost me 200, including the 40 dollar tip.

That was my thought exactly but it was fairly big and I had checked on getting one in Cedar Rapids and it was cheaper but not by a great margin. So I didn't think about it right away, but the more I thought about it the more it irked me!

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I think a fairly standard rate for tattooing is about $100/hour for custom stuff (anything not off the wall). I've generally tipped $20 - 50 for work ranging from 1.5 - 3 hours. I did get a big one on my back that took 22 hours (done by Bob Parr at Jaded Angel II when it was on Lincoln Way). He gave me a significant discount since it was a large piece, but he designed it and made sure it fit my back well so I gave him an extra $50 after each 4 hour sitting.

KneeGusto

May 13, 2006
S̶q̶u̶a̶w̶ Ioway Creek
If they really do a good job - incorporating colors and artistry I could easily see $20 / hr tip. Also - if they go out of their way to be gentle (if you are having your junk inked) then money should flow even more freely for a tip.

47549043.jpg