Time for a Real Discussion About Caitlin Clark

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Interesting piece in Forbes that discusses her impact on women's sports and perspective on how she carries herself on the court.

I actually don't disagree with what's in the article. While some of her antics are a bit much for me, I can appreciate the larger point of girls learning they can be competitive and animated. But it's funny to me how Angel Reese isn't afforded anywhere near the same grace in terms of being "firey" and "competitive". You can't have it both ways.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I actually don't disagree with what's in the article. While some of her antics are a bit much for me, I can appreciate the larger point of girls learning they can be competitive and animated. But it's funny to me how Angel Reese isn't afforded anywhere near the same grace in terms of being "firey" and "competitive". You can't have it both ways.

A WV player last night got booed and Clark complained about her because she was animated and gave a 'thumbs down' after she got a 4th foul. Full Hok.

Imo Clark, Reese and that Stanford players go beyond competitive and max out the 'look at me' culture and it's less enjoyable.

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019
How is everyone's singing voices? Let's hold hands and sing Kumbaya. This will not happen as Hawk fans are already slamming Audi with derogatory comments and feel insulted that someone would DARE to mention an ISU player in the same sentence as CC.

View attachment 126370
Let's be honest for a second, there are a-holes on both sides. Audi is a great kid and impossible not to like in my opinion. Anyone attacking her just needs to shut the f up. Her and CC are worlds apart from the standpoint of what types of basketball players they are and shouldn't be compared to each other at all. Clark has had an amazing career and Crooks is off to an amazing start. We're never going to magically start cheering for each other's teams but hopefully most of us can appreciate how good both of these girls are without feeling the need to tear them down.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
A WV player last night got booed and Clark complained about her because she was animated and gave a 'thumbs down' after she got a 4th foul. Full Hok.

Imo Clark, Reese and that Stanford players go beyond competitive and max out the 'look at me' culture and it's less enjoyable.

I don't know if the "look at me" stuff bothers me a ton. But I do find it ironic that the Hawk fans that were so worked up towards Reese can now herald CC as the face of the newly emboldened competitive female sports star.

For me, I like it. Sports are meant to be entertaining, and it creates some pretty solid drama. But you can't have it both ways.

• Winner
Reactions: Cyrocks

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Interesting piece in Forbes that discusses her impact on women's sports and perspective on how she carries herself on the court.

Such articles only reinforce the behaviors that superior athletes shouldn't be scrutinized for constantly complaining to officials or any negative behaviors exhibited on the court/field. It's perfectly okay for these athletes to conduct themselves in a manner in which most parents (CC's parents obviously included) find sickening.

• Agree
Reactions: clonedude

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I don't know if the "look at me" stuff bothers me a ton. But I do find it ironic that the Hawk fans that were so worked up towards Reese can now herald CC as the face of the newly emboldened competitive female sports star.

For me, I like it. Sports are meant to be entertaining, and it creates some pretty solid drama. But you can't have it both ways.
The ones who were are idiots. I never had a problem with AR giving it back to CC. I think AR pulling the SC player's hair and throwing blatant elbows at her face are bush league, just like CC shoving the player who was getting under her skin.

Reactions: VeloClone

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Such articles only reinforce the behaviors that superior athletes shouldn't be scrutinized for constantly complaining to officials or any negative behaviors exhibited on the court/field. It's perfectly okay for these athletes to conduct themselves in a manner in which most parents (CC's parents obviously included) find sickening.
Did you read it? Because that's not really at all what it's about. The author is a mom and women in tech advocate who's pointing out the double standards women athletes find themselves up against.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Did you read it? Because that's not really at all what it's about. The author is a mom and women in tech advocate who's pointing out the double standards women athletes find themselves up against.
And that changes what exactly? Does that somehow make it okay for CC to act like a child? I've said it many, many times. I don't like it when any player, male or female, at any level, act childish when playing a sport. It's such a bad look.

• Winner
Reactions: clonedude

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
As far as home court goes, I like it. They do it in all the professional sports and will be doing it in college football next year. Rewards the teams that had a better regular season.
Home court is a HUGE advantage in college basketball. Less so in football. Pro teams play a home and home series so the underdog can seize the advantage by winning a single road game. The NCAA tournaments are single elimination.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
And that changes what exactly? Does that somehow make it okay for CC to act like a child? I've said it many, many times. I don't like it when any player, male or female, at any level, act childish when playing a sport. It's such a bad look.
I think it flies in the face of your opinion that most parents find her on-court conduct "sickening."

• Agree
Reactions: Lineup

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Here's the bigger issue to me. When ESPN, as the holder of the rights to the tournament, goes all in on one person, or on a few teams, you have to expect the integrity of the games to be questioned. They have a massive financial outlay that doesn't cash in unless some combination of Iowa, LSU, UConn, South Carolina and Stanford makes it. They've completely hitched their wagon to CC and Iowa, and it's not hard to surmise how much money they are out if it winds up WVU/Colorado as opposed to getting to LSU/Iowa.

Was it "rigged"? Who knows. But I do know that when the entity that holds the broadcast rights very openly roots for a handful of teams, it's going to call into question the integrity of the games.
ESPN claims they want to grow the game and provide more exposure to women's college basketball, yet they are doing the opposite by choosing a select few teams to champion the cause.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
I think it flies in the face of your opinion that most parents find her on-court conduct "sickening."
So you honestly don't mind it when a player yells "f you" to an official? I know that's not CC who did that, but just curious on your standpoint of what you think is acceptable for a player say/act on the court