Time for a Real Discussion About Caitlin Clark

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
That was an incredible game to watch how badly they willed Iowa to a win. Game was tied and the officials took over on that next possession for Iowa as if they hadnt already.
Most definitely a bad look. If anyone is going to take women's college basketball seriously, this problem has to be fixed.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
Carver Magic!
I think it's past time to move the tourney games to neutral courts. The way I saw the game is that West Virginia won on controlling the tempo. They won on throwing Iowa off their game offensively. They put themselves in a position to win the game. But they couldn't make the plays in the last few minutes of the game. They're still to be congratulated for as an eight seed going into a one-seed's home court and dictating the game and nearly winning. As to the foul differential, I suspect some of it was being extra-physical to frustrate Iowa and throw them off their game. I agree with those who say neither team looked as good as ISU or Stanford. Iowa didn't look like a one-seed to me.

• Agree
Reactions: cytor

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I appreciate her skills, how she has handled this. I think her crown is heavy. She has been the face of women’s basketball, you can even say men’s basketball, for all year long.” - Lisa Bluder

M'kay.
Her crown is heavy? You know what. I actually think Bluder is laughing about this statement with her assistant coaches.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
I think it's past time to move the tourney games to neutral courts. The way I saw the game is that West Virginia won on controlling the tempo. They won on throwing Iowa off their game offensively. They put themselves in a position to win the game. But they couldn't make the plays in the last few minutes of the game. They're still to be congratulated for as an eight seed going into a one-seed's home court and dictating the game and nearly winning. As to the foul differential, I suspect some of it was being extra-physical to frustrate Iowa and throw them off their game. I agree with those who say neither team looked as good as ISU or Stanford. Iowa didn't look like a one-seed to me.
I can agree with a lot of that. WV shouldn’t have been an 8 seed. Seems they could have been a 5/6 seed based on their season. Iowa has definitely not looked like a 1 seed. Probably more like a 2/3.

As far as home court goes, I like it. They do it in all the professional sports and will be doing it in college football next year. Rewards the teams that had a better regular season. Also, I’m sure ISU fans won’t complain next year when they are most likely a top four seed and hosting games in Hilton.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Her crown is heavy? You know what. I actually think Bluder is laughing about this statement with her assistant coaches.
I’ve decided the whole thing is scripted to “grow the sport,” aka cash in. Would be hard to say that line with a straight face.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Watched about 50 seconds but you know they are looking for Iowa, USC, UConn and whoever else is a big team to get in the final four. They have pushed the women’s game hard the last couple years. They had it on OTA network last year so they need to try to attract viewership and having less than 2 of the 5 big names that they keep pumping will hurt their numbers.
Crooks looks like she may be one of the faces of Women's college BB next year. Maybe we will get the calls.

When I came in to work yesterday, there was more Audi Crooks talk than anybody else and this is a workplace that is Big 10-centric (with an anti-Iowa bias).

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Most definitely a bad look. If anyone is going to take women's college basketball seriously, this problem has to be fixed.

And this is the dumbest thing of all: great players shouldn't need ref's assistance to win. Getting ref's assistance should "cheapen" or "dilute" the victory. Unfortunately a lot of coaches and players don't see it that way

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Here's the bigger issue to me. When ESPN, as the holder of the rights to the tournament, goes all in on one person, or on a few teams, you have to expect the integrity of the games to be questioned. They have a massive financial outlay that doesn't cash in unless some combination of Iowa, LSU, UConn, South Carolina and Stanford makes it. They've completely hitched their wagon to CC and Iowa, and it's not hard to surmise how much money they are out if it winds up WVU/Colorado as opposed to getting to LSU/Iowa.

Was it "rigged"? Who knows. But I do know that when the entity that holds the broadcast rights very openly roots for a handful of teams, it's going to call into question the integrity of the games.

Last edited:

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
How is everyone's singing voices? Let's hold hands and sing Kumbaya. This will not happen as Hawk fans are already slamming Audi with derogatory comments and feel insulted that someone would DARE to mention an ISU player in the same sentence as CC.

1711463132929.png

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
I just don't know why we can't say "she's one of the greatest college players ever."

Because "great" should also apply to conduct.

"She's the highest-scoring player ever" seems more accurate.

"Ball hog" does, too.