Time for a Real Discussion About Caitlin Clark

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
ESPN claims they want to grow the game and provide more exposure to women's college basketball, yet they are doing the opposite by choosing a select few teams to champion the cause.

And to me that's the biggest issue. In the men's game, you can have upsets and still have tons of interest and excitement. That's part of the intrigue of the men's tournament.

In the women's game, you've totally hitched your wagon to 5 teams, and if they don't win you don't have a product. Nobody is going to tune in to watch WVU/Colorado. Even really good teams like Indiana, UCLA, Notre Dame, etc. don't have any real draw. It's just hard to fully discount some kind of impropriety with the results when you realize the millions they are out if the main 5 draws don't move on.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
Not going to speak on behalf of every parent, but I wouldn't want my daughter to act like that on the court and/or in public.

And speaking as a child who HAS acted like that in public when I was younger....well all I can say I am grateful for the extra padding God gave me on my backside

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I think it flies in the face of your opinion that most parents find her on-court conduct "sickening."

I have consistently used her an an example of unacceptable on court behavior and I told my son that I would pull him from the game if his coaches didn’t if he acted like her.

Sickening? No. Intolerable? Yes.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I appreciate her skills, how she has handled this. I think her crown is heavy. She has been the face of women’s basketball, you can even say men’s basketball, for all year long.” - Lisa Bluder

M'kay.
She's the face of Iowa men's basketball, yes. Completely agree.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

AlCyJim

Aug 11, 2022
I can agree with a lot of that. WV shouldn’t have been an 8 seed. Seems they could have been a 5/6 seed based on their season. Iowa has definitely not looked like a 1 seed. Probably more like a 2/3.

As far as home court goes, I like it. They do it in all the professional sports and will be doing it in college football next year. Rewards the teams that had a better regular season. Also, I’m sure ISU fans won’t complain next year when they are most likely a top four seed and hosting games in Hilton.
then why don't the men do it like that or like the nit does. somebody gets a home game.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
It is totally ridiculous that ESPN had a Caitlin Clark highlight. When was the last time ESPN had a highlight of player who shot 8-22 from field and 5-14 from 3 pts? The two plays where Clark made shots and supposedly fouled, she wasn’t even touched.
All the time? If a leading scorer is struggling and an underdog is keeping it close it will be in literally every highlight package.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
I think there needs to be serious talk about natural courts for the women's tournament.
Interesting piece in Forbes that discusses her impact on women's sports and perspective on how she carries herself on the court.

To Quote Caitlin Clark "Shut the **** Up."

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
All the time? If a leading scorer is struggling and an underdog is keeping it close it will be in literally every highlight package.
They only showed Clark making shots. If you go to Iowa-WV highlights, it is all Clark highlights.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
And that changes what exactly? Does that somehow make it okay for CC to act like a child? I've said it many, many times. I don't like it when any player, male or female, at any level, act childish when playing a sport. It's such a bad look.
What about coaching a sport? What happens when a coach goes ballistic on an official or one of their own players?

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I do believe they tried it a few yrs back, I don't think it was a rousing success. Should they try it again, who knows. I'm guessing there are maybe 20 teams that draw 5000+ fans at most home games. Then out of those 20 I'm guessing there may be 10 teams that travel well or at least get Alumni/fans to show up at away games.

I believe Iowa’s fan attendance will slowly decline over the next 5 yrs till it gets down to like Clark's sophomore yr.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
What about coaching a sport? What happens when a coach goes ballistic on an official or one of their own players?
A coach working the official is part of their job. I guarantee you every coach will talk to the officials to try to get some calls. But there is always a line. Going "ballistic" to an official or player is unacceptable. That's crossing a line. A player telling an official "F you" is crossing the line. A player yelling in an official's face is crossing the line. Yet we are seeing more and more of this. CC and Lebron James are both guilty of crossing that line on occasion. But yet many people just don't seem to care. And the younger kids who are watching these great athletes cross the line with no repercussions then think there's nothing wrong with crossing that line

That's why Audi is so refreshing. Exceptional talent with great sportsmanship. People like her should be showcased more