Throwing coaches under the bus

Dave19642006

Nov 21, 2006
Des Moines
I am actually sick and tired of throwing coaches under the busses. We all need to realize that Iowa State is not yet like Texas, Oklahoma or Kansas. This all takes time to get the programs built up. It just does not happen over night. It does not happen in three years. It can take up to 10 years to get the recruits that we sought after and get them to Iowa State. What we need to do is have faith and trust that these coaches know what they are doing. We can get a "High Dollar" coach and still he would might not do the best for this program. It is all about the recruits and coaching. Sure we all would like to have 5 star recruits come in all the time. What we do not realize is till the coach is installed and has his team following his directions, we will always be a mediocare team. Give the coaches some credit into what they want to do. Coach Rhoades and Coach Mac need time before you throw them under the bus. I still say give them both 10 years at least to get what they need to get this program going. Sure it takes three years to get there players in, but then again it also takes more time to get the program going. I ask how long did it take McCarney to get us to a bowl game? I also do not see a bright light at the end of the tunnel for a few years. Basically I see a 4 win team for a few years. If this turns out to be wrong then I apoligize. I do not drink the clone kool-aid, what I do is I see the talent and the coaches we hae and anaylize it and go from there. Yes I would love to see Iowa State go to a BCS game in the near future. I would love for Iowa State to compete against Oklahoma nad Texas, and win some north titles. In reality as long as we change coaches like underwear, that won't happen. I expect alot of hate from this, but then again the truth does hurt. Support your team all the time and not just for three years. As for Chizik he is gone, time to turn the page. I see some many threads with him on it. Get over it and move on. If I was a moderator I would delete all those threads since they do not concern the Cyclone Nation.

Last edited:

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
10 years is too long to go to bowl games and NCAA touryns, but that is how long it will take for ISU to get built up to make runs at championships and be a threat every year.

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA
I think giving coaches time in today’s era of college football and men’s college basketball will give us a competitive advantage. The worst thing for a program is coaching turnover and ISU is currently a victim of this. When a coach leaves you lose a great number of guys currently on the team and a large percentage of incoming recruits for the following year. I hurt more than anyone when we lose but we have got to give GMac and now Coach Rhoads time. It’s in our best interest!

Reactions: kingcy

Dave19642006

Nov 21, 2006
Des Moines
In 1999, Oklahoma hired Steve Spurrier's defensive coordinator at Florida, an acclaimed young assistant but an inexperienced selection for a school with the stature of Oklahoma.
Now, Bob Stoops has the Sooners competing for the national title every year.
In 2000, Ohio State replaced John Cooper with the coach of Division I-AA Youngstown State, a successful coach from a smaller collegiate league that fans barely acknowledged.
Now, Jim Tressel has the Buckeyes competing for the national title every year.
In 2001, USC picked a mediocre former NFL coach, a move that left fans wondering if the glory days would continue to drift away.
Now, Pete Carroll has the Trojans competing for the national title every year.
Moral: Sometimes, the underrated hire turns into an extravagant one.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
If it will happen (big success) I don't think it will take 10 years, but I do agree that it takes a long time, probably at least 4-5 years for us. It will probably take until year 4 under Rhoads before he has a schedule set up for a big run.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
In 1999, Oklahoma hired Steve Spurrier's defensive coordinator at Florida, an acclaimed young assistant but an inexperienced selection for a school with the stature of Oklahoma.
In 2000, Ohio State replaced John Cooper with the coach of Division I-AA Youngstown State, a successful coach from a smaller collegiate league that fans barely acknowledged.
Now, Jim Tressel has the Buckeyes competing for the national title every year.
In 2001, USC picked a mediocre former NFL coach, a move that left fans wondering if the glory days would continue to drift away.
Now, Pete Carroll has the Trojans competing for the national title every year.
Moral: Sometimes, the underrated hire turns into an extravagant one.

Oklahoma, Ohio State, USC.......... Iowa State. If you think that any coach can come to Iowa State and do what those guys have done at their respective schools, then you need to lay off the egg nog for a little while. :confused:

Iowa State will never consistently compete for national championships in any major sport. Ever. I don't say that to be a downer, I just think it's reality. I also don't think it's the end of the world. It's college athetics afterall. I have a lot more important things to worry about in my life.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA

Wow - it's a good thing OU threw their two previous coaches - Gibbs and Blake - "under the bus." Otherwise, they never would have got to Stoops...

Splendid

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines
Whats worse, losing or having to come to a site that promotes Cyclone athletics and see snot-nosers starting up new threads about firing the coach? One thing is for certain, the snot-nosers know it all.

One other thing, can't we throw a coach under a Cat, a Yuke or a bridge sometime?

Last edited:

MillerTime

Sep 29, 2008
Ames
It should say FIRE-J-ME-POLLARD.COM!

The guys a tool. I just hope it doesn't take 10 years to figure that out. :sad:

You REALLY think Pollard is that terrible? I suppose you could have seen the future and you would have known that Chiz was going to leave. And let's not forget the fact that our annual budget has almost doubled. Isn't there something that happened with the stadium? Slips my mind right now, but yea, you're right... What a terrible job he's done. You should send in your resume.

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
It should say FIRE-J-ME-POLLARD.COM!

The guys a tool. I just hope it doesn't take 10 years to figure that out. :sad:

Jamie has raised the athetic budget from 28 mill to 40+ in two years. Two projects at Jack Trice and a Basketball facility.

Those are things to hang your hat on.

Reactions: dbronco7sc

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Jamie has raised the athetic budget from 28 mill to 40+ in two years. Two projects at Jack Trice and a Basketball facility.

Those are things to hang your hat on.

Exactly. Pollard isn't the problem.

Of course Jamie's not the problem. It's just so much easier to point the blaming finger in all directions except at himself when his absolutely unreasonable expectations aren't met.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
What the hell is going on? Are some of you people even cyclone fans anymore? I would seriously bet money that some of you are hawk fans coming over to sabotage the fan base. You think I'm kidding, but you sound like overfed, pompous, ignorant jerks. Just because you have an opinion doesn't mean you have to stuff it down everyone's throats or decide to voice it at EVERY POSSIBLE TIME. Stop making new threads, please, and stop hijacking threads. If you have an anti-coaching idea, keep it to one thread. I would even go so far as to give them their own board like the politics and religion board where we can banish this embarrassment - and that is what it is, an embarrassment.

Reactions: dbronco7sc

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
What the hell is going on? Are some of you people even cyclone fans anymore? I would seriously bet money that some of you are hawk fans coming over to sabotage the fan base. You think I'm kidding, but you sound like overfed, pompous, ignorant jerks. Just because you have an opinion doesn't mean you have to stuff it down everyone's throats or decide to voice it at EVERY POSSIBLE TIME. Stop making new threads, please, and stop hijacking threads. If you have an anti-coaching idea, keep it to one thread. I would even go so far as to give them their own board like the politics and religion board where we can banish this embarrassment - and that is what it is, an embarrassment.

+1....it gets old seeing every single thread turn into ripping on Coach Mac, or saying a recruit isn't that great, or ripping on McCarney, or ripping on Pollard, or bringing up Larry, Floyd, and Morgan....this stuff all seems to be done by the same people too...I hope they either can man up enough to eat some crow, or just are rooting for a different team when things start to go good.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I don't want GMAC thrown under the bus, but loosing to SDSU is embarrasing. There is no way to spin your way around that. If I was GMAC, I would be feeling a little heat for all the losses so far this year. ISU has had an amazingly easy schedule and there is no excuse for not being undefeated at this point in the season. Choking the Drake and Hawaii games was bad, getting blown out by a very average Iowa team, bad, lossind to SDSU, well, I can't come up with the words to descibe how bad that is. GMAC has got to start showing ISU fans something.

Help Support Us

Become a patron