Three names to know in Prohm's search for assistant coach

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
UNI Perspective on Green--

Everybody in the department and on the basketball staff would be shocked if he was even interested in the job and are also pretty certain that that there won't even be any contact from Iowa State.

There are 4 huge reasons that he wouldn't go--

1--His wife is a chiropracter and runs a huge practice in Waterloo/Cedar Falls. She easily makes more money than he does so there isn't a huge financial need for them to make a move.

2- The last time he left to take the Wisconsin-Eau Claire job, they moved back after one year becuase they missed Waterloo/Cedar Falls. UNI didn't have an opening for him at the time and they were going to go without him working just to get back in the area. He's left 3 times and always come back.

3--Daughter is a junior in high school at Cedar Falls and also a great athlete. 3 of her high school teammates are plaing basketball at UNI and she is sure to follow.

4--AJ. He's wanted to be a Panther since he was a ball boy 10 years ago. He's comfortable with the program and Jake and is looking at multiple First Team all Valley and, maybe, Larry Bird Trophies. No doubt he's a starter and big time contributor in the Big 12 but he can be the best player in the Valley and still be challenged with the crazy non-conference schedules UNI puts together.

Lastly, UNI doesn't owe you anything on the McDermott situation. UNI letting Doug out got Greg the Creighton job which got you $875k and The Mayor. UNI was the ONLY loser in that entire clusterfuck....

Definitely agree on the bolded. UNI was set up for a really nice run with Doug in the program. Jake did the right thing in releasing him (had no choice, but handled it with class) but it cost him dearly while lining Chewy's pockets for the foreseeable future. Crappy deal for Jake and UNI.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
The chiropractor thing is a pretty big deal, IMO but it depends on what his aspirations are.

If the plan is for Green to take over Jacobson, then waiting it out may make sense with her practice.

Kyle was given the 'Associate Head Coach' title and is thought to be the coach in waiting if Jake would leave. Though Jake is starting to feel like a Rick Byrd, Bob McKillop type lifer. There are jobs he could have had if he really wanted them, turned down A&M when they hired Kennedy.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Just a total hunch, but I have a feeling that Coach Prohm will not pick a coach simply to poach a player. If this guy gets the job, it will because he is the best candidate.

Not sure why they can't be the same.
Best candidate for us is someone that can recruit. Even good recruiters bring in only 1-2 top end players a year.

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
In regard to Green, Sounds like could uproot a lot of the family. I assume given the media, the family likely talked it out at this point and already know if there would be any interest. Would boil down to aspirations of both dad and son to say the least. May be a stretch in my opinion.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Not sure why they can't be the same.
Best candidate for us is someone that can recruit. Even good recruiters bring in only 1-2 top end players a year.

Well, the point is, if Green is the best coach (without consideration of his son's potential flip), then I think Coach Prohm will pick him. If not, he'll go to whoever is.

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
Do I think Green would be a good addition, especially if his son comes? Heck yes.

I really don't think it's close to a possibility though. Sure, we could probably double his salary. But when has he ever been linked to ISU, or specifically Prohm? Is the main reason Kyle is being mentioned as a candidate just because we recruited his son? It seems he is pretty close and loyal to Jacobson. AJ could a be a huge cog for that program all 4 years. Kyle could be in line to take over UNI someday, or go with Jacobson if he ever moves to a higher gig. I don't see Kyle moving to an in-state "rival," even if we are a higher level program than UNI.
Don't underestimate the doubling of his salary AND going to a P5 school. If his ambition is to move up the CBB ranks he'd have to seriously consider an ISU offer.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Don't underestimate the doubling of his salary AND going to a P5 school. If his ambition is to move up the CBB ranks he'd have to seriously consider an ISU offer.

Yeah, ISU or Iowa would be his best shot to advance his career without uprooting his family too much.

Assuming his kid would want to play for him still, this may also be when his value is the highest. The opportunity may not be there in a few years.

It would be great for us if he could help us with some of those UNI principles on the defensive/defensive rebounding side.

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
Yeah, ISU or Iowa would be his best shot to advance his career without uprooting his family too much.

Assuming his kid would want to play for him still, this may also be when his value is the highest. The opportunity may not be there in a few years.

It would be great for us if he could help us with some of those UNI principles on the defensive/defensive rebounding side.
He's definitely a no brainer candidate for you guys. Really don't see a downside and his kid is a stud. It's a win for him and win for you in my book.

That said....who knows about his relationship/loyalty with Jacobsen/UNI. He might be happy there and that's ok too....everybody has different goals and wants/needs.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
He's definitely a no brainer candidate for you guys. Really don't see a downside and his kid is a stud. It's a win for him and win for you in my book.

That said....who knows about his relationship/loyalty with Jacobsen/UNI. He might be happy there and that's ok too....everybody has different goals and wants/needs.

Maybe UNI would get mad and not want to play us anymore. That’d be another plus since they beat us so frickin much.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
UNI Perspective on Green--

Everybody in the department and on the basketball staff would be shocked if he was even interested in the job and are also pretty certain that that there won't even be any contact from Iowa State.

There are 4 huge reasons that he wouldn't go--

1--His wife is a chiropracter and runs a huge practice in Waterloo/Cedar Falls. She easily makes more money than he does so there isn't a huge financial need for them to make a move.

2- The last time he left to take the Wisconsin-Eau Claire job, they moved back after one year becuase they missed Waterloo/Cedar Falls. UNI didn't have an opening for him at the time and they were going to go without him working just to get back in the area. He's left 3 times and always come back.

3--Daughter is a junior in high school at Cedar Falls and also a great athlete. 3 of her high school teammates are plaing basketball at UNI and she is sure to follow.

4--AJ. He's wanted to be a Panther since he was a ball boy 10 years ago. He's comfortable with the program and Jake and is looking at multiple First Team all Valley and, maybe, Larry Bird Trophies. No doubt he's a starter and big time contributor in the Big 12 but he can be the best player in the Valley and still be challenged with the crazy non-conference schedules UNI puts together.

Lastly, UNI doesn't owe you anything on the McDermott situation. UNI letting Doug out got Greg the Creighton job which got you $875k and The Mayor. UNI was the ONLY loser in that entire clusterfuck....

I don’t know who Chris’s source is on this but I heard that we are ABSOLUTELY going to reach out.

I also know that if AJ’s dad weren’t a coach at UNI right now he wouldn’t be going there so I don’t know about all that “always wanted to be a Panther stuff.

Last edited:

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I don’t know who Chris’s source is on this but I heard that we are ABSOLUTELY going to reach out.

I also know that if AJ’s dad weren’t a coach at UNI right now he wouldn’t be going there so I don’t know about all that “always wanted to be a Panther stuff.

His dad first came to Cedar Falls in 2001 when AJ was an infant. Pretty much all of AJs basketball memories involve UNI. He was a ball boy. He's a UNI kid.

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
From the Panther board, like the Chicago connection if true:

Why is this so far fetched? He’s known as a guy with strong recruiting ties, and has spent time at Marquette, a team that successfully recruits higher level talent. He’s got ties to Chicago and probably other larger metro areas that routinely produce multiple 4 and 5 star players. Iowa St would also be able to pay him more.

I don’t want to see him leave, but for his name to least be mentioned isn’t out of the question. No need to rip the writer for it. Another thing...my sense is the market for Kyle Green as an assistant at a P5 Midwest school is a hell of a lot stronger than Jakes’ as a head coach. A few mediocre seasons coupled with last years’ meltdown in the conference will do that.

guacamole7

Feb 4, 2010
Regarding the "loyalty" angle, it's not relevant with assistant coaches. Prohm was in Berry's wedding for crying out loud and Lou Ayeni has pictures of Campbell's kids in his wallet and has left him twice already. Both of those moves weren't as big of a step up as UNI to ISU would be. Assistant coaches have very little job security so they need to make the move that's best for their career, not their loyalty to a head coach. If the head coach gets fired, they are probably set for life and the assistants are left to scramble.

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
Kyle was given the 'Associate Head Coach' title and is thought to be the coach in waiting if Jake would leave. Though Jake is starting to feel like a Rick Byrd, Bob McKillop type lifer. There are jobs he could have had if he really wanted them, turned down A&M when they hired Kennedy.

Kyle could always go back for a head coaching job with fresh experience.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
His dad first came to Cedar Falls in 2001 when AJ was an infant. Pretty much all of AJs basketball memories involve UNI. He was a ball boy. He's a UNI kid.

Harrison Barnes was an ISU kid. I’m sure he will always root for UNI but It doesn’t mean crap in this day and age for the top kids in terms of where they choose to play ball.