Three names to know in Prohm's search for assistant coach

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Kyle could always go back for a head coaching job with fresh experience.

Yeah, it's not like leaving for a few years would prevent them from bringing him back. Having a variety of experience would likely be MORE important than already being on staff.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Kyle was given the 'Associate Head Coach' title and is thought to be the coach in waiting if Jake would leave. Though Jake is starting to feel like a Rick Byrd, Bob McKillop type lifer. There are jobs he could have had if he really wanted them, turned down A&M when they hired Kennedy.

Yeah, but people aren’t beating down his door any longer.

• Agree
Reactions: cyhiphopp

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
His dad first came to Cedar Falls in 2001 when AJ was an infant. Pretty much all of AJs basketball memories involve UNI. He was a ball boy. He's a UNI kid.
If Kyle Green was hired at ISU last summer, do you think AJ still goes to UNI?

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
"ever sense"....Do you guys ever copy edit these posts? I understand it's a rather informal blog, but these mistakes are in every post.

• Agree
Reactions: ILikeCy

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
UNI definitely stays in the running. In the end, he probably goes to Virginia in that scenario. Tony Bennett pursued him pretty hard.

You likely know a lot more about UNI basketball than most here so I value your opinion.

I'm interested to see if we will find out though.

• Agree
Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
UNI definitely stays in the running. In the end, he probably goes to Virginia in that scenario. Tony Bennett pursued him pretty hard.
tenor.gif

CycloneAS93

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 31, 2017
His dad first came to Cedar Falls in 2001 when AJ was an infant. Pretty much all of AJs basketball memories involve UNI. He was a ball boy. He's a UNI kid.
Fred Hoiberg was a ball boy.. Where is he now?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
He's definitely a no brainer candidate for you guys. Really don't see a downside and his kid is a stud. It's a win for him and win for you in my book.

That said....who knows about his relationship/loyalty with Jacobsen/UNI. He might be happy there and that's ok too....everybody has different goals and wants/needs.

The only reason anybody on this board wants Green is his kid AJ. No offense to him but if we're hiring a guy just to poach a kid, we should aim higher.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
The only reason anybody on this board wants Green is his kid AJ. No offense to him but if we're hiring a guy just to poach a kid, we should aim higher.

Look at his resume in comparison to the other candidates. The son factor is obviously a bonus, but the guy has solid credentials too.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
What are those credentials? He coached for Marquette for 1 year and went back. Took another job for 1 year and went back. He's never recruited at a high major level. I'm pretty underwhelmed by that resume.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
What are those credentials? He coached for Marquette for 1 year and went back. Took another job for 1 year and went back. He's never recruited at a high major level. I'm pretty underwhelmed by that resume.

Totally fair, but most assistant coaches resumes aren't always impressive. We are discussing 1 of 3 names CW mentioned in the OP.
One of Berry's recruiting area was the Mid West specifically Minnesota and Wisconsin, I would assume Green has good contacts in those states (and Iowa obviously) and familiar with the recruits. In that aspect I could see him as good hire.
I'm not advocating for hiring Green but that could be a reason to put him a head of other options.
I do agree Prohm shouldn't hire him just to get AJ on campus, it is far more important the new hires style of play and have the strong recruiting ties to help Prohm in the future.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
And he played at ISU passing up offers at other schools so this wasn't really a good argument lol

And he also revived Hilton Magic from a long coma.

Just because he really wanted to coach in the NBA doesn't undo everything Fred has meant to ISU.

Reactions: baagoe