Three guard lineup next year?

St810s

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
West Des Moines
Do you think we should use a three guard lineup next year, assuming Craig leaves and Gilstrap stays? I would really like to see a lineup like this next year...

G: Colvin, Buckley
G: Phillips, Scott
G: DG, Boozer
F: Gilstrap, Dendy, Ejim
C: Ham, JVB

I feel like that may be the best distribution of the talent we have next year, which is guard heavy. Thoughts? Anyone know if Mac is considering a three guard lineup?

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
How many consecutive years have we heavily relied on freshmen or newcomer guards to make a big impact for us? And how often has it been working out?

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Nah. If Gilstrap stays I don't like a 3 guard lineup. If he leaves, then yes I do.

G: Colvin
G: Phillips
F: Gilstrap
F: Dendy
C: Ham

or

G: DG

Reactions: cyismydog

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
Do you think we should use a three guard lineup next year, assuming Craig leaves and Gilstrap stays? I would really like to see a lineup like this next year...

I feel like that may be the best distribution of the talent we have next year, which is guard heavy. Thoughts? Anyone know if Mac is considering a three guard lineup?

Just a guess, but I doubt it...Probably looking at 5 guards, 3 wings, 5 bigs, and 2 walk ons.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
How many consecutive years have we heavily relied on freshmen or newcomer guards to make a big impact for us? And how often has it been working out?

Very true. The one hope here is that this newcomer (Phillips) is a juco player and thus further along physically. Hope he comes in like Taylor did for us or Gilstrap. Really our JUCO pickups under Greg have been solid

St810s

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
West Des Moines
Nah. If Gilstrap stays I don't like a 3 guard lineup. If he leaves, then yes I do.

F: Gilstrap

or

G: DG

I guess what scares me about a 2 guard - 2 forward lineup is that we have only one true 4 in Dendy. Besides that we would have a true freshman in Railey, and I don't like to think about him getting to many minutes next year...

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
I guess what scares me about a 2 guard - 2 forward lineup is that we have only one true 4 in Dendy. Besides that we would have a true freshman in Railey, and I don't like to think about him getting to many minutes next year...

Vanderbeken is a 4, Wilkins(?) is a 4, Brackins(?) is a 4, Railey is a 4...We only have one true center in Ham.

westcyedclone

Jan 22, 2010
Waukee

This line up would work, the line up we have this year would work. Without a new coach to give hope and excite the fanbase and players, this really isn't worth discussing.

CyRocket

Jan 31, 2007

The one name I don't see is Oliver. From what little we saw of him in the exhibition games I think he will be a major factor next year. When he was on the court he was clearly the best defender. On a side note I have been really pleased with Ham in the Big 12 games. He is becoming a real force defensivly and showing more on the offensive every game.

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
Just a guess, but I doubt it...Probably looking at 5 guards, 3 wings, 5 bigs, and 2 walk ons.

care to break down this list?

i am guessing
5 guards-DG, Colvin, Phillips, Boozer, Buckley
3 wings-Ejim, Oliver, Gilstrap
5 bigs-Ham, Dendy, Railey, JVB, ???????
walk-ons-Bubu and Dorr

CyRocket

Jan 31, 2007
What are your thoughts on Oliver?

How many times have you seen him play?

I think it is safe to say that most of us appreciate the insight you give us as one with inside information but there is no reason for you to sound so high and mighty with those of us who are just expressing our humble uneducated opinions.

Reactions: ISUFan22

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
I think it is safe to say that most of us appreciate the insight you give us as one with inside information but there is no reason for you to sound so high and mighty with those of us who are just expressing our humble uneducated opinions.

How are honest questions high and mighty?...If I didn't enjoy talking about it...I wouldn't. If didn't enjoy others opinions...I wouldn't ask.