Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Another fun guitarist fact...

Vernon Wayne Howell (though better known as David Koresh) played guitar --

upload_2020-4-10_12-13-18.jpeg

Of course, he would go onto fame for one particularly notorious show in Waco in 1993.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
The beauty of Prince's playing is the feel.

There are some great solos initially in the song (first solo is note for note the same) but what makes it a great performance is how Prince takes it and makes it his own. It's just... effortless.

His Super Bowl performance is off the hook as well.

I'm not sure there's anything else that exemplifies the "coolness" of Prince. Just kinda hanging out in the background, letting everyone else just kind of set the stage. Then just casually taking over, shredding the **** out of the end of the song, tossing his guitar, and walking off. He probably rehearsed that solo dozens of time but he gave you the impression he was just flawlessly improvising it.

Reactions: Cycsk

BurgundyClone

Apr 15, 2007
East of Omaha
Matt Bellamy Muse-whew, piano, vocals and shredding guitar -never see him listed on these threads, enjoy if you haven't heard of him... Bass player is very good as well. Very popular across the pond but not as much here...

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
My favorite would have to be Carlos Santana but he always gets mentioned in these threads - as he should be.

Just for something different, how about some Terry Kath from the early days of Chicago. Here is what JImi Hendrix said about him.

"Walt, the horns are like one set of lungs," Parazaider said Hendrix told him. "And your guitar player is better than me." That guitarist, Terry Kath, went on to be hailed by many as one of rock's greatest -- a "forgotten guitar god" who was "criminally underrated."

Skip to the 3 minute mark if you want to go straight to the solo.

Reactions: Todd and Sigmapolis

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
A lot of good mentions already, but I haven't seen these three. I would add Mark Knopfler, Jerry Garcia, and Neil Young.

Jerry is obviously an icon and I love the Dead. If we want to dig in to rhythm guitar Bob Weir is one of the best and most unique rhythm players imo.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Thurston Moore

Good shout. Piggybacking off of this and someone that’s not really a total shredder or soloist:

Billy Corgan of Smashing Pumpkins

He introduced some really cool techniques and amazing Sonics to the world. I thought him when you posted Thurston Moore because when I think about Corgan’s guitar work I think Thurston Moore smashed in to Tom Scholz of Boston.

weeterkane

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2009
DM
Good shout. Piggybacking off of this and someone that’s not really a total shredder or soloist:

Billy Corgan of Smashing Pumpkins

He introduced some really cool techniques and amazing Sonics to the world. I thought him when you posted Thurston Moore because when I think about Corgan’s guitar work I think Thurston Moore smashed in to Tom Scholz of Boston.
Agreed. first time i heard Pumpkins, i started searching for that tone in his sound. Thurston Moore and Bob Mould (Husker Du) are the first two that wowed me with originality of their sound and no by fancy solos.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Prince was so damn good...as are many others...but as far as "unknown" guys who can play...Nils Lofgren (member of Crazy Horse and E Street Band among other) can PLAY! It is sad but he kills the solo in "Purple Rain" when Springsteen covered the song in the days after Prince passed...love this clip:

Reactions: drlove and Macloney

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Thurston Moore

I bought SY Goo when it came out in 1990 (I was a HS Freshman) and wanted to be Thurston Moore when I grew up. I presume you have or have heard his solo album Psychic Hearts (1995). It just totally blew me away.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I've posted this before but have to do it in this thread. Adrian Belew was like an after-market booster for TH. He was like AMG to Mercedes Benz, next level.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Already said Gilmour, but this is one of my favorites.

Also, Tommy Emmanuel is pretty good

Have mind blown by Greg Koch

This is awesome. That two beat bass line with the jazz chord progressions is very difficult to master. Then the crazy false harmonics he pulls off, some really cool techniques I haven't seen before.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Jerry is obviously an icon and I love the Dead. If we want to dig in to rhythm guitar Bob Weir is one of the best and most unique rhythm players imo.
This girl is so good it makes my head hurt. Best rhythm guitar ever IMO. Flamenco is so underrated in the popular lexicon of guitar.

Reactions: drlove

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Some lesser known(Minus Petrucci) players that I love.

Nick Johnston

Jakeb Zytecki w/ Disperse

Monte Montgomery

John Petrucci

Mark Holcomb w/ Periphery solo at 9:30
Fun fact Holcomb is John Petrucci's nephew.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gunnerclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron