Thoughts on team

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
One thing I'd like to see change is how they use Thomas, seems like a lot of the shots he currently takes don't have a lot of flow. Like to see him get run off of some screens or as the trailer on a fast break so he can step into it a little more. You can really see the potential for him in this offense though.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
One thing I'd like to see change is how they use Thomas, seems like a lot of the shots he currently takes don't have a lot of flow. Like to see him get run off of some screens or as the trailer on a fast break so he can step into it a little more. You can really see the potential for him in this offense though.

A la Reggie Miller?

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Maybe Ejim comes off the bench for awhile to ease him back in?

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny

I don't think we have been running many sets yet in these early games. I was impressed with his scoring off of the bounce yesterday. He had that nice 1 handed floater in the lane, and then a good pump and step in shot just inside of the 3 pt line. Once this guy gets his confidence up, he will be scary. Can't wait for the game that he makes his first 3, because I feel like he will just go off from that point on!

blutarsky

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2010
St. Paul, MN
Was anyone else surprised that Naz was so successful? I've heard good things about him, but it was mostly that he's a good leader and floor general...never knew he was a great shooter.

I'd like to take back his 26 points and apply them against a tougher opponent. Say, Michigan.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

I agree, he's a perfect fit for Fred's style.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Agreed on the vanilla offense. One of the exciting things about having a young core of guys is we can hopefully gel and avoid some of these chemistry issues early on in the season. Could not be more confident about the future of this program.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
Naz's performance was huge for me. One thing I was a bit concerned with, believe it or not, was outside shooting. As good as Kane is, he is not a good shooter. Thomas is the only one in the rotation who has the reputation as a great shooter and he hasn't been hitting them at a great clip (understandable, adjusting to the college game). SDW and Bluford have potential, but it remains to be seen how much they will play. If Naz can emerge as a 3-point threat, that opens a whole new dimension to this team that I did not foresee.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
Like most Hoiberg teams, this is going to be a team that is fun to watch develop. What we are seeing now is probably not at all what we will see by the time conference season begins, and definitely not what we will see by March.

Solid players right now are Ejim (assumed I guess at this point), Niang, Kane, Morris, Thomas, Hogue, and Long (assuming he can keep up some offense, although not 8/11 every game).

Works in progress still.....

Percy......I thought he has looked better, and slightly more interested out there, but he still needs to work on his moves, and the ball still needs to come back out more often than not until he gets his moves improved.

Edozie......considering his background, I think he is doing pretty well. Very intense on defense. Offensive moves and ball handling need work, and I hope they are working on that hard with him and Percy. Other players need to be careful how they present the ball to him, and need to help him out quicker when he gets in trouble so it does not result in a turnover.

SDW......looks quite a bit like a Freshman out there, which he is and isn't. I really hope he can get enough minutes to gain some confidence and improve his game. I think once he can get his confidence up, he has some skills that will help this team's depth.

KJ.....He seems to be going through a lot of adjustments. I think he is one of these guys who is red-hot shooting, or terribly off on any given night. At this point, I think he is still trying to figure out how to fit in. I hope he can get enough minutes in the non-con to see if he can develop more. He may not add much until next year though.

Ellerman and Jackson.....the guys you need to fill in at practice, and give them some garbage minutes in blowouts. I was surprised we did not see Jackson a little bit in the first game.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Like most Hoiberg teams, this is going to be a team that is fun to watch develop. What we are seeing now is probably not at all what we will see by the time conference season begins, and definitely not what we will see by March.

Solid players right now are Ejim (assumed I guess at this point), Niang, Kane, Morris, Thomas, Hogue, and Long (assuming he can keep up some offense, although not 8/11 every game).

Works in progress still.....

Percy......I thought he has looked better, and slightly more interested out there, but he still needs to work on his moves, and the ball still needs to come back out more often than not until he gets his moves improved.

Edozie......considering his background, I think he is doing pretty well. Very intense on defense. Offensive moves and ball handling need work, and I hope they are working on that hard with him and Percy. Other players need to be careful how they present the ball to him, and need to help him out quicker when he gets in trouble so it does not result in a turnover.

SDW......looks quite a bit like a Freshman out there, which he is and isn't. I really hope he can get enough minutes to gain some confidence and improve his game. I think once he can get his confidence up, he has some skills that will help this team's depth.

KJ.....He seems to be going through a lot of adjustments. I think he is one of these guys who is red-hot shooting, or terribly off on any given night. At this point, I think he is still trying to figure out how to fit in. I hope he can get enough minutes in the non-con to see if he can develop more. He may not add much until next year though.

Ellerman and Jackson.....the guys you need to fill in at practice, and give them some garbage minutes in blowouts. I was surprised we did not see Jackson a little bit in the first game.

I'm rooting for Edozie for a couple of reasons. First, watching him in-person yesterday, he's so much quicker than Percy, move his feet well on defense, quick jumper as well. Much bigger upside than Percy due to his athleticism.

Second, this: Basketball opens door to a better life for TJC Apache - KLTV.com-Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville, Texas | ETX News

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
I'm rooting for Edozie for a couple of reasons. First, watching him in-person yesterday, he's so much quicker than Percy, move his feet well on defense, quick jumper as well. Much bigger upside than Percy due to his athleticism.

Second, this: Basketball opens door to a better life for TJC Apache - KLTV.com-Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville, Texas | ETX News

Yeah, that is what I was referring to when I mentioned his background. Plus, he went to Verbum Dei high school in LA...that is a small Catholic all-boys (less than 300 students) prep school in Watts, so the teams he would have played in high school would not have been the best teams in the city by any means. I think the school does pretty well though, in their division.

I hope he can develop well here....he's had a pretty tough road in life already.

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008
I assume he is redshirting.

I think he must be ineligible this year. He played at a community college last year and maybe that requires sitting out one year unlike a junior college where you can play right away. If he was eligible but going to redshirt I don't know why he wouldn't dress and sit on the bench like SDW did last year.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
So he has already started going off then cause he hit his first 3 yesterday. Thomas was 2-6 from 3 point land in the opener.

I meant 1st that he takes in that specific game. Seems like he has passed on a few he could have taken in the exhibition and the opener. I know he is a freshman so I'm not calling him on it, he just seems like the kind of player that could very quickly become unconscious when he has full confidence. That will be fun to watch. I'm envisioning Kentrail Horton type bombs :spinny:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron