Thoughts on team

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Was anyone else surprised that Naz was so successful? I've heard good things about him, but it was mostly that he's a good leader and floor general...never knew he was a great shooter.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
Was anyone else surprised that Naz was so successful? I've heard good things about him, but it was mostly that he's a good leader and floor general...never knew he was a great shooter.

I'm surprised as well. I wouldn't go so far as to say that he's a great shooter yet though since it was just one game. He definitely looks way different this year though. Way more fast and smooth.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
Let Long be a Tyrus type guy. and then let Hogue be the x-factor.

I get that you're talking mainly about his spot on the floor, but my guess is he will be asked to handle the ball more than Tyrus, more accountable than on D than he was, and will have nowhere near the 3pt makes/% that McGee did.

Naz had a great game against UNCW, but I would wager that he won't keep it up at a Tyrus like rate and Fred won't want him to take near as many 3's as last year's 6th man of the year. McGee was a different breed (40% from 3 in '11-'12 and 46% from 3 in '12-'13.) Those stats are just silly and can't be replaced by 1 person.

BallSoHard4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2012
Ames
I'm really not sure what our best lineup is.

Kane Kane Morris
Thomas Thomas Thomas
Hogue Long Kane
Ejim Ejim Ejim
Niang Niang Niang

The four guard lineup did not work today.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

He made 8 threes. Nobody is not surprised.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I'm really not sure what our best lineup is.

Kane Kane Morris
Thomas Thomas Thomas
Hogue Long Kane
Ejim Ejim Ejim
Niang Niang Niang

The four guard lineup did not work today.

Do you realize your lineups are the same 4 guys and then Hogue, Morris, and Long for the 5th spot? You could really simplify things.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Do you realize your lineups are the same 4 guys and then Hogue, Morris, and Long for the 5th spot? You could really simplify things.

Yep, seems to be a lot of that going around.

Thomas, Kane, Ejim, and Niang appear to be sure things in the starting five. The question is who you want for the 5th.

If it's Hogue, then you're putting Kane at the 1. I think he can be more effective elsewhere, plus I want more perimeter options in the Hoiberg offense. So I'm looking at Long or Morris.

I think eventually, Monte will grow enough to become the clear choice here. Keep in mind that today was his first-ever real collegiate game. It's like Niang last year - he didn't crack the starting lineup over Booker until after the Iowa game. He needed to grow into it.

That's why I'm thinking this will be our starting five by the time we hit the conference schedule.

Morris
Thomas
Kane
Ejim
Niang

And we'll have Hogue in as the first big man, and Long in as the first guard off the bench.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I think our most successful combo on the floor at once would be

Morris
Kane
Hogue
Ejim
Niang

But that likely won't be the starting lineup because they need to split Morris and Kane up a little, even though they will play a lot together.

Having 7 capable starters is a great problem to have.

BallSoHard4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Yep, seems to be a lot of that going around.

Thomas, Kane, Ejim, and Niang appear to be sure things in the starting five. The question is who you want for the 5th.

If it's Hogue, then you're putting Kane at the 1. I think he can be more effective elsewhere, plus I want more perimeter options in the Hoiberg offense. So I'm looking at Long or Morris.

I think eventually, Monte will grow enough to become the clear choice here. Keep in mind that today was his first-ever real collegiate game. It's like Niang last year - he didn't crack the starting lineup over Booker until after the Iowa game. He needed to grow into it.

That's why I'm thinking this will be our starting five by the time we hit the conference schedule.

Morris
Thomas
Kane
Ejim
Niang

And we'll have Hogue in as the first big man, and Long in as the first guard off the bench.

is is this what you meant by simplifying things, Doc?

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006

I was surprised by Naz when I saw him play a couple of times in the cap city league, and he was such an explosive scorer. I knew he could play D and handle the ball some, but he was a much better outside shooter than I expected and could also penetrate and dish, or finish. Of course you have to bring that to Hilton, and he did that today. I know he won't always shoot lights out like today, but he's also strong with the ball, a strong passer, rebounder and good on D, and as he continues to get more comfortable and confident on the court, he could develop into a good team leader. I think he could develop into a player very similar to Chris Babb.

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
I was a little worried we lost too much offense from last year. Not so much anymore, the young guys are shooting really well and Kane is as good as advertised. It looks like we'll see a 7 man heavy rotation with Percy being an 8th depending on matchups and foul trouble.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I was a little worried we lost too much offense from last year. Not so much anymore, the young guys are shooting really well and Kane is as good as advertised. It looks like we'll see a 7 man heavy rotation with Percy being an 8th depending on matchups and foul trouble.

The Right Way is an 11 man rotation of equally mediocre and unexciting players, a guy guarding the inbounds pass that looks like he just got pushed out of a plane, and fake 3 point shot lay-up lob played. We're in trouble I don't see us doing any of this.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I was surprised by Naz when I saw him play a couple of times in the cap city league, and he was such an explosive scorer. I knew he could play D and handle the ball some, but he was a much better outside shooter than I expected and could also penetrate and dish, or finish. Of course you have to bring that to Hilton, and he did that today. I know he won't always shoot lights out like today, but he's also strong with the ball, a strong passer, rebounder and good on D, and as he continues to get more comfortable and confident on the court, he could develop into a good team leader. I think he could develop into a player very similar to Chris Babb.

yeah, Naz may never have another day like yesterday. Hell, I don't know that Tyrus ever made 6 3 pointers in half or 8 in under 30 minutes of game time. But like you, I wasn't surprised he could shoot it from watching him this summer.

I think it is pretty obvious that Hoiberg really values his intangibles. And if Naz can make 2 or 3 3 pointers a game that would be huge for this team.

ISU42

Sep 21, 2009

Don't you have a source close to the team? Disappointed you didn't know Naz was a good shooter.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Ejim and Niang can't play the whole game. And I believe Houge goes to bench with Ejim back. They are the same player.

Hogue was going to be at the 3 before Ejim got hurt, and I will bet anyone that is the position he will be starting at when Ejim returns. Fred even said Hogue was running to the wrong spots a lot on offense because he hadn't been practicing much at the 4. Pretty clear indication of where Fred wants to play him.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Not sure why people think Hogue will not start when Ejim comes back when he was going to start before Ejim got hurt.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron