Thoughts on basketball

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
I am as disappointed in the next guy in this year so far. These close losses to top teams are very maddening. In my mind I have come to the conclusion that:
1. We are down compared to years past (obviously). All programs go through it. We don't have a consistent mismatch on the floor that we have had in the past, Georges was that guy the second he stepped on campus. I'll never forget him dragging Jeff Whithey around the floor and canning 3's in his face his freshman year. He was a once in a lifetime talent and was perfect for what we were doing but he isn't stepping into the tunnel.

2. These kids are undersized and they aren't gonna grow. The reasons for the problems down low have been beat to death. One tenacious rebounding and defensively minded big would do wonders for this team, as in make it a top 10 team.

3. These kids are for the most part playing hard and that deserves our respect. We have some great Cyclones on this team, and they have been part of some really good times. Keep showing them the love and respect they deserve.

4. This team will make the tourney IMO if they shoot for 4th-5th place in the conference. They will be behind KU, WV, BU for sure, but they can be ahead of Tech, TCU, OSU, OU, KSU, UT.

5. Loyal sons forever true, we will fight the battle through

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
It's time we save money from this dumpster fire and cut basketball as a funded sport, and instead, replace it with the resurrection of baseball. :rolleyes:

But seriously, we'll be fine down the road. This year is hurtful, next year probably will be too... but, give it time.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I used to. This fanbase is turning in to Iowa football fan really fast if it hasn't already.
Colin_Farrel-Disgusted.gif

• Agree
Reactions: cyhiphopp

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I am as disappointed in the next guy in this year so far. These close losses to top teams are very maddening. In my mind I have come to the conclusion that:
1. We are down compared to years past (obviously). All programs go through it. We don't have a consistent mismatch on the floor that we have had in the past, Georges was that guy the second he stepped on campus. I'll never forget him dragging Jeff Whithey around the floor and canning 3's in his face his freshman year. He was a once in a lifetime talent and was perfect for what we were doing but he isn't stepping into the tunnel.

2. These kids are undersized and they aren't gonna grow. The reasons for the problems down low have been beat to death. One tenacious rebounding and defensively minded big would do wonders for this team, as in make it a top 10 team.

3. These kids are for the most part playing hard and that deserves our respect. We have some great Cyclones on this team, and they have been part of some really good times. Keep showing them the love and respect they deserve.

4. This team will make the tourney IMO if they shoot for 4th-5th place in the conference. They will be behind KU, WV, BU for sure, but they can be ahead of Tech, TCU, OSU, OU, KSU, UT.

5. Loyal sons forever true, we will fight the battle through

Thanks! Good post. Think most fans feel the exact same way. Just get caught up in all the analyzing and sometimes just defending why for each time a team loses. It's the society we live in. And probably social media has brought that to a height never seen before. No matter how good the game, no matter the quality of players, or the sport involved, how many times don't we hear sports stations and gurus debate who did what wrong, etc. etc. etc.
P.S. Do Alabama football fans get the same way... at least once a year????? LOL

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Thanks! Good post. Think most fans feel the exact same way. Just get caught up in all the analyzing and sometimes just defending why for each time a team loses. It's the society we live in. And probably social media has brought that to a height never seen before. No matter how good the game, no matter the quality of players, or the sport involved, how many times don't we hear sports stations and gurus debate who did what wrong, etc. etc. etc.
P.S. Do Alabama football fans get the same way... at least once a year????? LOL

I'd love to go back and implement this kind of message board with the 1999-2000 season and see what the reaction would be like when they beat Nebraska by one in Lincoln, or the infamous 44 point outburst vs. Drake.

BTW, Larry ball averaged more points per game (barely) than Hoiball's '13-14 team.

Sometimes efficient gets confused with quick.

Help Support Us

Become a patron