Thought about the series ending

Redhawk94

Jun 30, 2010
It does imply that Iowa does something different from other teams which they don't.

Never said Iowa does something different than other teams. I was just stating what Iowa does since I know what they try to do and didn't want to speak for ISU. Think you are looking too deep at my post. Everything I say should be taken at the surface. :wink:

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Barta was on MOTMW earlier this week and said that Iowa would like to have 7 home games every year...therefore in 2015 when Iowa has 5 conference road games, there is a possibility of the ISU/UI series ending...he wasn't predicting that...but did say it was a possibility.

Why the assumption that UI will have 5 league roadies in 2015? Nothing in the Big Ten has been announced beyond 2012.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Why the assumption that UI will have 5 league roadies in 2015? Nothing in the Big Ten has been announced beyond 2012.

They will in either 2015 or 2016.

With the Big12 going to 9 games first, our home game schedule will be set first. So, the ball is really in Barta's court to try to get the Big10 to schedule their home games opposite ours. Personally, I would think that if Barta asks it shouldn't be a problem. I can't really think of any more out of conference games that the Big10 will need to schedule around home games. If their schedule doesn't get setup as opposite ISU's it will be because Barta went to the Big10 and asked it to be that way. It would be a convenient way to get out of the contract without having to publicly say that he doesn't want to play ISU anymore.

Redhawk94

Jun 30, 2010
They will in either 2015 or 2016.

With the Big12 going to 9 games first, our home game schedule will be set first. So, the ball is really in Barta's court to try to get the Big10 to schedule their home games opposite ours. Personally, I would think that if Barta asks it shouldn't be a problem. I can't really think of any more out of conference games that the Big10 will need to schedule around home games. If their schedule doesn't get setup as opposite ISU's it will be because Barta went to the Big10 and asked it to be that way. It would be a convenient way to get out of the contract without having to publicly say that he doesn't want to play ISU anymore.

In terms of importance to the nation and Big 10: 1) Michigan/ND; 2)Purdue/ND; 3)MSU/ND; 4)Iowa/ISU. Michigan, MSU and Purdue are also in Iowa's division meaning they will have to play them every year.

Don't have a clue in how difficult the game will be to schedule, but Iowa/ISU will be the last game they worry about when it comes to making sure teams can still schedule their regular out of conference games. I know that ND is an independent so that should make it easier for the Big 10 to maneuver, but we all know that ND won't budge much in their scheduling.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
In terms of importance to the nation and Big 10: 1) Michigan/ND; 2)Purdue/ND; 3)MSU/ND; 4)Iowa/ISU. Michigan, MSU and Purdue are also in Iowa's division meaning they will have to play them every year.

Don't have a clue in how difficult the game will be to schedule, but Iowa/ISU will be the last game they worry about when it comes to making sure teams can still schedule their regular out of conference games. I know that ND is an independent so that should make it easier for the Big 10 to maneuver, but we all know that ND won't budge much in their scheduling.

Isn't the Mich/ND game ending by 2015?

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

I thought Purdue was the static crossover game for Iowa.

At any rate, those games are currently set up as:
Michigan/Notre Dame - Even years at ND
Purdue/Notre Dame - Even years at ND
MSU/Notre Dame - Even years at MSU
ISU/Iowa - Even years at Iowa

So they're evenly split.

Even years - 5 home games for Mich and Purdue
Odd years - 5 home games for MSU and Iowa

LoewDog

Sep 7, 2010
It is simple if the Big 10 and Big 12 stick with an A/B pattern the game would work...no problem.

Any variance in that pattern makes things difficult.

The Hawks and clones may be able to voice opinions but in the end they both are at the mercy of the conferences as to whether this rivalry continues.

Redhawk94

Jun 30, 2010
I thought Purdue was the static crossover game for Iowa.

At any rate, those games are currently set up as:
Michigan/Notre Dame - Even years at ND
Purdue/Notre Dame - Even years at ND
MSU/Notre Dame - Even years at MSU
ISU/Iowa - Even years at Iowa

So they're evenly split.

Even years - 5 home games for Mich and Purdue
Odd years - 5 home games for MSU and Iowa

Yes, you are correct that Purdue is in the other division. But Iowa will play Purdue every year as you stated.

I'm sure that it won't be that easy to schedule every thing. You also have to take into account the years that ISU will have 5 home games or 4 home games and the fact that the conference schedule could get screwed up due to other teams wanting to play certain games on certain dates and which years they want those at home.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I'm sure that it won't be that easy to schedule every thing. You also have to take into account the years that ISU will have 5 home games or 4 home games and the fact that the conference schedule could get screwed up due to other teams wanting to play certain games on certain dates and which years they want those at home.

The Big 12 has already agreed in principle to assist ISU in conference scheduling in order to allow the series to continue.

This leads me to believe that ISU will have 4 conf home games in 2011, plus Iowa, keeping the series on the same rotation.

Redhawk94

Jun 30, 2010
The Big 12 has already agreed in principle to assist ISU in conference scheduling in order to allow the series to continue.

This leads me to believe that ISU will have 4 conf home games in 2011, plus Iowa, keeping the series on the same rotation.

We all know how those Big 12 in principal deals work. :wink:

LoewDog

Sep 7, 2010

If that holds up and the Big Ten does what it needs to then we should be able to maul each other for a week every year just like now!

Of course...conferences can say what they want but in the end do what is best for Texas, Oklahoma, Ohio State and Michigan.