Thought about the series ending

CycloneJames

Dec 1, 2009
Ankeny
The Big Ten has a nine game schedule ready for 2014, or something like that...and once/should the Big 12 expands isu will be looking at the same thing.

Because Iowa will get there first, they will look like the bad guys...realizing isu will be there eventually makes it inevitable.

I could very well be wrong...help me if the premise is flawed.

Iowa State is most likely going to have a 9 game conference schedule in 2011 (if Colorado leaves) or in 2012. They haven't announced if for sure, but i doubt they would play everyone but 1 team in the conference.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Listening to KXNO for a bit the other morning they were talking about the series ending and how that would hurt ISU's central Iowa "market share" with Nebraska going to the Big 10/11/12. Deace's point was without the yearly big game a portion of casual fans in central Iowa would start to follow Nebby instead of ISU.

I think he has it backwards. I think if the series ends, Nebraska picks up "share" from Iowa with the move. My reasoning is, there are a ton of "tavern hawks" with no real attachment to Iowa. There are not a lot of "tavern cyclones" to be a cyclone in you have to be one for a reason.

I think overtime with or without the ISU/Iowa game Iowa loses some of those tavern hawks to tavern huskers. Nebraska will have success in the Big 10 and they will consistently beat Iowa. They will likely beat Iowa about 60-70% of the time. They are a better program with a much deeper tradition and a much, much larger national recruiting base.

I think over the years that will result in tavern hawks becoming tavern huskers.

Thoughts?

:mad:Deace may have it exactly backwards.:v_SPIN:

If the Big 12:cool: improves and the Big Ten sinks:confused:, more interest from the masses may begin to more closely follow ISU fortunes than current. We might even bowl in the stadium.

Fuzzy reasoning may havbe just occurred for the big guy.

Redhawk94

Jun 30, 2010
I know that Mizzou backed out before the series even started, and Iowa's AD should have been upset. Fans shouldn't have been because they weren't the ones who had to reschedule the games and find a new opponent.

However, Mizzou officials did what they thought would be best for THEIR program, not what was best for Iowa's program.

Believe me, I am no Mizzou fan. But some Iowa fans can't understand why ISU fans can't see their point that backing out the ISU-Iowa series would be best for their program, or that it doesn't benefit them playing the game. To me, that is a little hypocritical.

I agree backing out at the last minute was a punkass move.

Iowa fans were ****** because they had a decent game setup and then had to fill it with terrible teams, which lowered their strength of schedule and allowed the media to pick on them for scheduling cupcakes even thought they didn't know the full story.

IowaSTATCyclone

Dec 4, 2009
I'm not saying I want the ISU series to end. I'm just saying that it may be a forced possibility. Right now I think Iowa likes the current setup of opening up with a rent a win, playing ISU (home and home), then playing another decent BCS conference team (home and home) and then another rent a win.

If Iowa goes to a three game non conference schedule then they would probably like to have two rent a wins and another decent BCS conference team and ISU certainly fits that bill. But I also think they would rather not be locked in to playing the same decent BCS conference team every year like they would be with ISU. That is why I think the ISU/Iowa game could go from being played every year to not playing or somewhere in between where ISU/Iowa would play every other year or something like that.

I see your point here, but disagree with it: I think Iowa would be wiser to "lock-in" a BCS series, rather than run the risk of occasionally getting stuck with a non-bowl qualifying game. In other words, decent div. I opponents are going to be harder to schedule for home-and-homes in the future, and at least the Hawks don't have to leave the state for the Cy-Hawk game. The year Iowa gets stuck with two FCS schools on the schedule will be a major problem, especially if they happen to go 6-6. Why schedule yourself that headache?

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
:mad:Deace may have it exactly backwards.:v_SPIN:

If the Big 12:cool: improves and the Big Ten sinks:confused:, more interest from the masses may begin to more closely follow ISU fortunes than current. We might even bowl in the stadium.

Fuzzy reasoning may havbe just occurred for the big guy.

Winning cures all things.

tccoach

Apr 22, 2006
Iowa
Barta was on MOTMW earlier this week and said that Iowa would like to have 7 home games every year...therefore in 2015 when Iowa has 5 conference road games, there is a possibility of the ISU/UI series ending...he wasn't predicting that...but did say it was a possibility.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Deace has no frame of reference. Take it from one of the oldest codgers who posts here: central Iowa was AT LEAST 80/20 Cyclone fans in the 70s before ISU and Iowa started playing again. It's about winning and losing, plain and simple. You couldn't find an Iowa fan in Des Moines in 1975 without an exhaustive search. I know, I was there. Deace was a fat little kid in Michigan.

Yeah old codger you are rite on bro....I've been around cyclone football since my first game in 1962 and in the seventies you couldnt find anyone in their right mind who wanted to say I am a squawkeye!!!

You rite on about its all about WINNING!!!! When we went to atlanta ga for the peach bowl in '77 we er iowa state u took 25,000 fans to the game and we owned downtown atlanta.....

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I don't pay attention to these future scheduling "what if". But it sounds like it's likely that both schools will be playing 9 game conference schedules, only leaving 3 non-cons (I suppose that might be more of a given now that the Big 10 has released it's divisions).

So, can it be assumed that every other year a school will have 5 home conference games, 4 on the others?

Best case is that Iowa and ISU could have those in opposition to each other, and the school with the 4 home conference games would have the home intra-state game.

It seems ISU's schedule has and will be known (at least home and away) pretty far out. Iowa's and the Big 10's little mind-**** might be harder to count on for such an arrangement.

Redhawk94

Jun 30, 2010
Best case is that Iowa and ISU could have those in opposition to each other, and the school with the 4 home conference games would have the home intra-state game.

Even if that happens, Iowa nor ISU may want to play the same BCS conference school every year. Sometimes Iowa likes to play other schools for recruiting purposes and for a changeup. That is why they try to schedule teams like Pitt, Syracuse, Arizona and the like. I'm sure they would prefer to have that as an option. I think this series is in serious jeopardy of not being played every year in the near future, but it would still be played every couple of years.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Even if that happens, Iowa nor ISU may want to play the same BCS conference school every year. Sometimes Iowa likes to play other schools for recruiting purposes and for a changeup. That is why they try to schedule teams like Pitt, Syracuse, Arizona and the like. I'm sure they would prefer to have that as an option. I think this series is in serious jeopardy of not being played every year in the near future, but it would still be played every couple of years.

It's cute you think Iowa is the only school that does this. Every school tries for this. Take a look at Iowa State's past OOC schedules.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
Iowa fans were ****** because they had a decent game setup and then had to fill it with terrible teams, which lowered their strength of schedule and allowed the media to pick on them for scheduling cupcakes even thought they didn't know the full story.

I don't recall the media picking on them. Missouri was supposed to have played Iowa starting in 2005 for a 4-year series. Looks like Iowa picked up UNI instead.

Iowa lost to ISU, Ohio State, Northwestern, Michigan that year and STILL went to the Outback Bowl (over teams with better records).

In 2006, Iowa lost six games that year. I don't think you can blame Missouri for that season. And they still played in the Alamo Bowl (over teams with better records -- losing to Texas).

In 2007, I don't know who Iowa picked up, but the Hawks lost to Western Michigan in the final home game of the season in a game which prevented them going to a bowl game.

In 2008, Iowa lost four games to Pittsburgh, Northwestern, Michigan State and Illinois, but still got to play in the Outback Bowl over teams with better records.

I don't see how you can blame Missouri for the Big 10 conference losses, or the Pittsburgh, Western Michigan losses.

LoewDog

Sep 7, 2010
It's cute you think Iowa is the only school that does this. Every school tries for this. Take a look at Iowa State's past OOC schedules.

Read the post many times and never does it say or imply that Iowa is the only team that does this.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
The Big Ten has a nine game schedule ready for 2014, or something like that...and once/should the Big 12 expands isu will be looking at the same thing.

Because Iowa will get there first, they will look like the bad guys...realizing isu will be there eventually makes it inevitable.

I could very well be wrong...help me if the premise is flawed.

ISU could very easily be playing a nine game conference schedule by next year, I think it is almost a definite reality.

LoewDog

Sep 7, 2010
I hear and its just a rumor that Iowa will demand ISU play all the football games in Iowa City to keep the series going...

How is that gonna help the football program???

They would be stupid to even ask as it comes off arrogant and they know there is no way that isu you would or should even consider it.

I'm pretty close to Hawk sports and even have a few ins with an insider angle...never heard this as a rumor...not saying you are lying...just that it has not made its way my direction.

Redhawk94

Jun 30, 2010

Which is why I said that ISU wouldn't want to schedule Iowa every year as their BCS opponent too.

fccy

Dec 31, 2008
Forest City
Barta was on MOTMW earlier this week and said that Iowa would like to have 7 home games every year...therefore in 2015 when Iowa has 5 conference road games, there is a possibility of the ISU/UI series ending...he wasn't predicting that...but did say it was a possibility.

He may have said that (not saying he didn't - just not recognizing the show); did he say how much he was willing to spend to get out of the current 10-year contract he signed about 12-18 months ago?

And he also needs to remember that the state Gov't stepped in and helped restart this series in the 1970's. Would they just let the series die in the middle of a contract?

Not saying that realignment may not eventually cause the series to end - just that there are realities to consider that I don't see a lot of people looking at in regards to ending this series.

Given the current conference makeup, I see the schools completing their current contract, at which time a new conference reality will help decide whether it gets renewed. I personally don't want to see it end, in any sport.

Last edited:

Redhawk94

Jun 30, 2010
I see your point here, but disagree with it: I think Iowa would be wiser to "lock-in" a BCS series, rather than run the risk of occasionally getting stuck with a non-bowl qualifying game. In other words, decent div. I opponents are going to be harder to schedule for home-and-homes in the future, and at least the Hawks don't have to leave the state for the Cy-Hawk game. The year Iowa gets stuck with two FCS schools on the schedule will be a major problem, especially if they happen to go 6-6. Why schedule yourself that headache?

I could see that happen too, but Iowa usually is able to schedule home and homes with similar teams in other conferences. I'm sure all options are on the table at this time, but I wouldn't mind seeing Iowa keep ISU on the schedule for two years (home and home) and then playing a different team for two years (home and home) and then back to ISU assuming their schedules match up.