This is why Prohm must go........

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
Yeah, you're right. Firing a coach (which is what the OP wanted to happen, right?) after a 23-win season in which we beat Kansas twice, won at Texas Tech (as big and as good a road win as any team in the country had that season), won road games at other ranked teams like Kansas State and Ole Miss, won the Big 12 tournament and got a 6 seed in the NCAA tournament AFTER a season that we finished dead last in the Big 12 would have been a downright brilliant move to make, especially if we wanted some good PR for the program.

JFC...

Nah...I'm pretty comfortable with my original response, especially since I specifically wrote that the terms of the extension are certainly worth a good faith discussion. God forbid we have any semblance of nuance in these kinds of discussions.

Guy, are you capable of having a conversation without cursing? You're not giving a lot of evidence of a sound rational discussion. You also give evidence that you didn't or have not recently read OP post. They don't say they want him fired, there on the spot, left in Nashville or wherever they played OSU.

He lays out logic points showing cracks in the foundation and saying "Prohm must go..." in thread title. Fun fact, Prohm would still have one year left (21-22) in his original contract if not extended. Where it stands now he may not live out that contract, let alone 2025 extension.

I'll say it for you. @ohly2311 I'm sorry. I'm sorry that you got such backlash from guys like @ISUChippewa and others. I was naive and was blinded by the nice personality. There were deficiencies and the extension should not have been offered and a better long lasting solution should have been explored after the 18-19 season in a way that allowed Steve to transition back to the south for himself and his family with dignity and a better long term solution for ISU.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Guy, are you capable of having a conversation without cursing? You're not giving a lot of evidence of a sound rational discussion. You also give evidence that you didn't or have not recently read OP post. They don't say they want him fired, there on the spot, left in Nashville or wherever they played OSU.

He lays out logic points showing cracks in the foundation and saying "Prohm must go..." in thread title. Fun fact, Prohm would still have one year left (21-22) in his original contract if not extended. Where it stands now he may not live out that contract, let alone 2025 extension.

I'll say it for you. @ohly2311 I'm sorry. I'm sorry that you got such backlash from guys like @ISUChippewa and others. I was naive and was blinded by the nice personality. There were deficiencies and the extension should not have been offered and a better long lasting solution should have been explored after the 18-19 season in a way that allowed Steve to transition back to the south for himself and his family with dignity and a better long term solution for ISU.

Oh FFS...

Your original reply to me was just fine and you even brought up some good thought provoking points. My immediate reaction to WM being fired was to wonder if the trigger had been pulled too quickly, to be honest. Then you made the conscious decision to reply to me a 2nd time with a snarky, condescending tone and then subsequently declare that I'm the bad guy for responding in the same tone. I know that Christmas is still quite a ways away, but let me suggest putting some self-awareness on your list there guy.

I'm perfectly capable of having a conversation without cursing, but I am equally comfortable cursing when the context of said conversation calls for it. Are you capable of having a conversation without thinking that you're the smartest guy in the room?

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
Oh FFS...

Your original reply to me was just fine and you even brought up some good thought provoking points. My immediate reaction to WM being fired was to wonder if the trigger had been pulled too quickly, to be honest. Then you made the conscious decision to reply to me a 2nd time with a snarky, condescending tone and then subsequently declare that I'm the bad guy for responding in the same tone. I know that Christmas is still quite a ways away, but let me suggest putting some self-awareness on your list there guy.

I'm perfectly capable of having a conversation without cursing, but I am equally comfortable cursing when the context of said conversation calls for it. Are you capable of having a conversation without thinking that you're the smartest guy in the room?

Yes. I imagine OP would've said similar things about WM firing, which at the time I had some issues with, but in retrospect can see much of the same being true then as it was now. Difference being Wayne inherited a mess, Steve inherited one of the best situations a first year coach could get.

If I would've been posting in '19 I likely would've disagreed with OP and would've disagreed w/ people calling for Wayne firing as well. In both instances I likely would've been wrong.

I'll save the potential race component, but it's not lost on me that the shortest leash for all the coaches ISU has had in the last 20 years has one thing that the others did not, and it's not W-Ls

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Yes. I imagine OP would've said similar things about WM firing, which at the time I had some issues with, but in retrospect can see much of the same being true then as it was now. Difference being Wayne inherited a mess, Steve inherited one of the best situations a first year coach could get.

If I would've been posting in '19 I likely would've disagreed with OP and would've disagreed w/ people calling for Wayne firing as well. In both instances I likely would've been wrong.

I'll save the potential race component, but it's not lost on me that the shortest leash for all the coaches ISU has had in the last 20 years has one thing that the others did not, and it's not W-Ls

Thank you. I'm always willing to engage and debate with other posters in a respectful manner.

I've mentioned before in other threads that I'm always going to have a personal soft spot for WM, as I had the chance to meet him in person once and he was exceedingly gracious and kind to me. That '04-05 team that won a game in the NCAA tournament is also always going to have a soft spot in my heart because they were really the only bright spot in ISU BB history between the end of LE's tenure and the start of FH.

Anyway, something(s) was definitely off about that '05-'06 season, and it ended up being a really disappointing season, no doubt about it. I did have my qualms about the dismissal initially, but once I read a quote from Gary Thompson about his own disappointment in the season and that he was okay with a change being made I started to feel better about it.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Think Cat Stevens and him have a competition going for the most use of that one.

You know, Cat and I agree more often than not on things basketball related, but I really do wish he would tone down the vitriol.

But yes, he is by no means the only one who makes this place downright toxic at times.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Cat Stevens

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
It's almost as if these coaches love that Iowa State is now almost an automatic win!

Ha! I do think coaches genuinely appreciate things like effort in a ****** year. Lon probably remembers when his team completely **** the bed with Tre Young.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
I hadn't seen this thread until now, but I was off Prohm after the Purdue game.
We had a better team than Purdue, much better.
Going 9-9 two years later and then winning the dang tournament is not proof that you should stay, it's proof that you can't win games with a talented roster. 9-9 teams are supposed to lose their second game of the Big12 tourney, not win the dang thing.
Then we got WORKED by a mediocre Ohio State team.

Prohm inherited one of the best rosters in the country when stepped on campus and hasn't done diddly with it

Bum.

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
But another league coach said that CSP is doing a terrific job.

View attachment 82118

These kinda comments crack me up. Do veteran coaches like Lon and Bill really believe they are being supportive when they say stuff like this, or do you think they are in fact being snarky?

Maybe I'm just too cynical when it comes to coach speak, but of course coaches that deliver you an easy dub are "doing a terrific job" in your eyes.

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
These kinda comments crack me up. Do veteran coaches like Lon and Bill really believe they are being supportive when they say stuff like this, or do you think they are in fact being snarky?

Maybe I'm just too cynical when it comes to coach speak, but of course coaches that deliver you an easy dub are "doing a terrific job" in your eyes.

I'd lean toward you being too cynical. I think Lon might have been sensing deja vu when that 21 point lead had completely evaporated. I also think coaching at this level is a club and the members mostly like and support each other.

JimDogRock

Feb 21, 2010
Cedar Falls
Florida A&M on New Years Eve 2019 was the first experience for my wife at Hilton.
She asked me before, during, and after the game "Is Florida A&M supposed to be good?"

Also, we ran out of time to go to Hickory Park beforehand. She wanted a soft pretzel at the game, but there were none to be found. And I had to be up and working through several parts of the night in the room we were staying at.

The only thing that saved the marriage was that after the game we made fun of the Rattlers's back up big man having no clue who he was ever guarding and asking teammates what to do during every dead ball.