This is why Prohm must go........

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I remember when Johnny took over and the place was a ghost town. It was more of “just something to do”. I feel like next year will be like that. Knowing we will probably lose but it’s still our guys and recruits will be watching. I always felt like it was the fan’s responsibility to help impress recruits.
ISU fans have always gone above and beyond what 90% or more of similar schools do for win results.
If anything is a worry, it's not fans. Cyclones are some of the best out there.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Rhoho is a god damned moron.
Dude, he bounced on a charity bet for veterans to have service dogs.

If you dont know hes a moron, that's on you.
He may be. I was defending a thread that was started that I had Interest in. I hated that nobody wanted to talk about that game and just wanted to attack the thread starter.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
He may be. I was defending a thread that was started that I had Interest in. I hated that nobody wanted to talk about that game and just wanted to attack the thread starter.
No need for may. Everyone here knows Rhoho is a tool.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I missed the cut offs on MBB tickets this yr and to be honest I can't really complain. That being said I'm back in next yr no attendance policy permitting. When you've had them as long as I have the ups and downs are just all part of supporting the program and ISU.

Since Tinsley’s layup bounced off the rim against Hampton, there have been so many lowlights in cyclone basketball.

it’s also why Fred’s time here was so revered, especially the last two years where Iowa State was really good. He was cool, did a dancing commercial, game day, etc.

football always swung between mediocre and downright awful, so there was really no reprieve there. Then, after Larry’s fall from grace, the controversy of the Morgan years, and McDermott never getting over the hump, there wasn’t a lot to be excited about with Iowa State Athletics in general. Fred did give people that feeling about being proud to be a cyclone.

Let’s hope the next guy can build that back.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
did people end up apologizing to OP?

I hope not, and why should they?

Just because the last two seasons (including this one) have been and currently are complete disasters does not mean that firing a coach after a 23-win season that ended up in the NCAA tournament would not still have been f*cking idiotic.

The terms of the extension given after the season are absolutely worth a good faith debate, but outright dismissal of a coach who made the NCAA tournament in 3 out of his first four years? Complete and total f*cking idiocy.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse

Just because the last two seasons (including this one) have been and currently are complete disasters does not mean that firing a coach after a 23-win season that ended up in the NCAA tournament would not still have been f*cking idiotic.

The terms of the extension given after the season are absolutely worth a good faith debate, but outright dismissal of a coach who made the NCAA tournament in 3 out of his first four years? Complete and total f*cking idiocy.

Regarding firing, I 100% agree.

But when Alabama came (allegedly) calling, there was no reason to hit the panic button and extend him knowing Fred Hoiberg was a FA and if that didn't work out, going after that guy who was hot in Buffalo at the time. Because the guy in Buffalo at the time is 17-5 at Alabama now.

If Prohm wanted to leave for Alabama, a horizontal move AT BEST, given the coaching options we would've had, you let him walk.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006

But when Alabama came (allegedly) calling, there was no reason to hit the panic button and extend him knowing Fred Hoiberg was a FA and if that didn't work out, going after that guy who was hot in Buffalo at the time. Because the guy in Buffalo at the time is 17-5 at Alabama now.

If Prohm wanted to leave for Alabama, a horizontal move AT BEST, given the coaching options we would've had, you let him walk.

Yeah, hindsight is always 20/20 of course, but I think you have some valid arguments here, especially considering what has happened since '19.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

I don't use "winner" lightly in a basketball thread, but it belongs here.
We had the leverage and threw it away.
Bargaining with JP has to be a lot of fun. We've seen plenty of folks take him for a ride.

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011

There's a way to 'part ways' that plays well to the public. Telling him to kick rocks isn't one of them. But seeing the signs that someone isn't cut out for the gig, and that they need to find another place and we need to find a different solution should've kept the extension from being written. I thought there were some good signs and liked his general approach, but ultimately he didn't build enough sustained recruiting success and painted himself into a corner.

“I don’t have answers to that and that’s probably the frustrating thing,” Prohm said. “As a coach, you want to be able to have the answers, push the right buttons.”

Not throwing shade, not trying to kick the man, but this is complete and utter defeat. At this point don't think holding onto the coach for sake of recruiting consistency is sound. We've had isolated talented players the last 3 seasons, but the results have not been there.

We had no problem telling Wayne to kick bricks for these results:

2003–2004Iowa State20–137–98thNIT Semifinals
2004–2005Iowa State19–129–7T–5thNCAA 2nd round
2005–2006Iowa State16–146–10T–7th

Last edited:
Reactions: ChickenNuggetMan

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011

:D had to come back again because I'm laughing out loud at your response

1. post was mostly in jest about apologizing to OP, but man you come out so hot and strong calling what we could've done back then, and what OP was saying should be done as not once, but two times F'ing idiotic, and yet, here we are setting historic program low after historic program low with scant signs of hope *.

2. Is it possible that you're wrong and OP was right? Do you have it in you to admit that maybe doing what we did instead of what OP suggested was F'ing idiotic?

* feel for Stanz and the writeups he's been writing. He's not lying, but he's not getting to be fully honest. which is unfortunate for his perspective as a basketball mind.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
:D had to come back again because I'm laughing out loud at your response

1. post was mostly in jest about apologizing to OP, but man you come out so hot and strong calling what we could've done back then, and what OP was saying should be done as not once, but two times F'ing idiotic, and yet, here we are setting historic program low after historic program low with scant signs of hope *.

2. Is it possible that you're wrong and OP was right? Do you have it in you to admit that maybe doing what we did instead of what OP suggested was F'ing idiotic?

* feel for Stanz and the writeups he's been writing. He's not lying, but he's not getting to be fully honest. which is unfortunate for his perspective as a basketball mind.

Yeah, you're right. Firing a coach (which is what the OP wanted to happen, right?) after a 23-win season in which we beat Kansas twice, won at Texas Tech (as big and as good a road win as any team in the country had that season), won road games at other ranked teams like Kansas State and Ole Miss, won the Big 12 tournament and got a 6 seed in the NCAA tournament AFTER a season that we finished dead last in the Big 12 would have been a downright brilliant move to make, especially if we wanted some good PR for the program.

JFC...

Nah...I'm pretty comfortable with my original response, especially since I specifically wrote that the terms of the extension are certainly worth a good faith discussion. God forbid we have any semblance of nuance in these kinds of discussions.