This could be huge. Northwestern trying to unionize

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
This is interesting. Generally Unions use lawyers to assist in negotiations, this costs money, where are the union dues that pay for that sort of thing going to come from?

So for those that think this isn't about money good luck once the lawyers get involved. Now if it is just a union of players voicing their concerns to Northwestern, maybe they won't require legal assistance, but I won't believe that lawyers won't be involved is someway, and where there are lawyers there is money.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
This is interesting. Generally Unions use lawyers to assist in negotiations, this costs money, where are the union dues that pay for that sort of thing going to come from?

So for those that think this isn't about money good luck once the lawyers get involved. Now if it is just a union of players voicing their concerns to Northwestern, maybe they won't require legal assistance, but I won't believe that lawyers won't be involved is someway, and where there are lawyers there is money.

As of right now:

The United Steelworkers union has been footing the legal bills.

Per fox news

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
SI: How does this ruling affect public vs. private universities?

MM:
Technically this decision only affects Northwestern. But now there’s precedent that these players and their argument empowers them to enter into collective bargaining as a unit.

Student-athletes at other private universities could rely on this as precedent, and in all likelihood the NLRB would affirm them, as well. But they’d still have to take the formal step of seeking recognition. If students at those schools wanted to unionize their football players, they could rely on this ruling.

However, this ruling does not empower players as public universities. Football players at Alabama could not use this at precedent. They’re going to have to rely on state labor law, and we know 24 states are right-to-work states that either prohibit or greatly limit opportunities of state employees, like those at public universities, to collectively bargain.

Now, if players at Northwestern are paid, that’s a pretty big recruiting advantage over a player at the university of Alabama that won’t be able to be in a union.

http://college-football.si.com/2014/03/26/northwestern-nlrb-union-kain-colter/#more-29261

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
The NCAA (and its member schools) brought all of this on themselves. The realignment drama of the past few years have made it very clear that college athletics are about money, not amateurism.

They asked for this, in fact begged for it.

Wish I could "thumbs up" this post 1,000 times. So very, very, very true.

The NCAA institutions have no leg to stand on in criticizing Kain Colter and the Northwestern players for doing this when they have each been printing money hand-over-fist.

In Northwestern's case, they were complicit in the raid of three separate conferences (Big 12 w/ Nebraska, ACC w/ Maryland, Big East w/ Rutgers) all in the name of the almighty dollar.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Most unions get their starts based on workplace safety. Once workplace safety is figured out, the union has to justify its existence and it isn't long until the union's focus is about "fair compensation." And once fair compensation is figured out, it isn't long until the union's focus is about milking every single bloody cent out of an organization that it can. Oh, and all the while, behind the scenes, it's all about making sure the union boss is paid an ungodly sum of money.

In spite of my comments, I'm not really even upset about the collegiate players unionizing. Just get ready for the face value of tickets to skyrocket once the athletes demand and get compensation. (and it's not just going to be the football and basketball players that get paid - Title IX is going to demand that all "scholarship" athletes get compensated equally)

If ticket prices skyrocket, count me as one who will be spending my time watching from the couch. The cost of going to games is pretty high as is.

And if you are going to jack up prices for non-revenue sports, best of luck with that.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

The NCAA institutions have no leg to stand on in criticizing Kain Colter and the Northwestern players for doing this when they have each been printing money hand-over-fist.

In Northwestern's case, they were complicit in the raid of three separate conferences (Big 12 w/ Nebraska, ACC w/ Maryland, Big East w/ Rutgers) all in the name of the almighty dollar.

I agree with all of this. While there are many question marks about what this will do to college athletics in the long run, I can't see any justification to blame this result on the players. The NCAA and its instituions have made it increasingly evident that money, not ameteurism, is the bottom line. While schools were destroying conferences, paying buyouts and justifying sending their kids across the country for games, they've tried to keep any of that windfall from the players. Between the conference realignment and its ridiculous decisions regarding eligibility for certain athletes, they were asking for this outcome.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
I agree with all of this. While there are many question marks about what this will do to college athletics in the long run, I can't see any justification to blame this result on the players. The NCAA and its instituions have made it increasingly evident that money, not ameteurism, is the bottom line. While schools were destroying conferences, paying buyouts and justifying sending their kids across the country for games, they've tried to keep any of that windfall from the players. Between the conference realignment and its ridiculous decisions regarding eligibility for certain athletes, they were asking for this outcome.

Not so sure about the bolded above. Have you seen our new facilities? Have you seen the new academic facilities dedicated to athletes? Have you seen the new Alabama football facilities? To say they keep any windfall from the players is disingenuous.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there

And spending that money on the CEO's of the company (coaches) or facilities that lead to results.
If the players want to go after the real crooks, go after those that support Title IV and the student-athletes of the non-revenue sports.

There will always be too many scabs for the union to have much leverage, although it is probably cheaper to may football and men's basketball players directly than the arms race we currently see.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
I wonder if ISU athletes would by "public sector" employees being the athletic department receives no tax-payer funds.

This issue opens a pandora's box with one certain outcome - lawyers gonna get paid.

tec71

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, Iowa

This guy seems like a bright dude, but my recollection is that getting certified as employees means they have the right to attempt to form a union. If I remember right they have to have 30% to get an election, not to begin bargaining as this guy says. Most unions aren't going to run an election without more than 50% of the bargaining unit signing up ahead of time planning for some attrition during the election. NW can't afford to lose on the threshold issue of whether they are employees or not though anyway, but this is a long way from amounting to players actually unionizing. THat is unless I missed it somewhere that NW had agreed to recognize them as a union.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
And spending that money on the CEO's of the company (coaches) or facilities that lead to results.
If the players want to go after the real crooks, go after those that support Title IV and the student-athletes of the non-revenue sports.

There will always be too many scabs for the union to have much leverage, although it is probably cheaper to may football and men's basketball players directly than the arms race we currently see.

If you're trying to hint that the non-revenue sports don't have a place in college athletics, you're really missing the point of collegiate sports. This isn't supposed to be a money machine here.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
If you're trying to hint that the non-revenue sports don't have a place in college athletics, you're really missing the point of collegiate sports. This isn't supposed to be a money machine here.
Maybe 50 years ago that was true.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
IV = 4, IX = 9, hope this helps.
tumblr_m7gp5lAkzD1rvs1mmo1_500.jpg

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
Not so sure about the bolded above. Have you seen our new facilities? Have you seen the new academic facilities dedicated to athletes? Have you seen the new Alabama football facilities? To say they keep any windfall from the players is disingenuous.

Athletes might benefit from these moves but they primary motive was the arms-race that major college sports have become. Any actual benefit to current athletes is a positive by-product.

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines

I have a hard time believing that the admin's spent that money on those facilities..."for the kids." It is much more feasible (to me) that those facilities were built for the sole purpose of attracting top talent therefore increasing your likelihood of success and subsequently more revenue. It was an investment in the administrations future...not the students.

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
To add to my previous post: (I don't like unions) BUT, and that's a big but (and I cannot lie), if student athletes were allowed to unionize it should be against the NCAA, not their school. All of the concerns presented should be covered by the governing body (concussion treatment, medical care, etc). Once you open it up to a per school system I think corruption will be soon to follow. "Come to our school, we provide free life time healthcare brought to you by BC/BS who's CEO also happens to be an alum."