Things You Completely Didn't Understand As a Child

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I dated a girl with the initials BJ. At one point she thought it would be a good idea to sign her name that way.

I had to explain why that wasn't a great idea.

I always wonder about parents who do that. Like, did they just not look at the initials of the name they were choosing before doing it, or did they see it and go, "Meh, that's going to be just fine"?

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
When I saw movies about real people, I always wondered how the movie people knew to follow that person around with a camera early on in their life...and I always hoped I'd find a camera person following me (that would mean my life was good enough for a movie later and I was destined for greatness).

I used to have similar thoughts about tv shows. I didn't think the people on the shows knew they were being filmed and wondered if I was secretly on a tv show as well. Kinda like the Truman show.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I used to have similar thoughts about tv shows. I didn't think the people on the shows knew they were being filmed and wondered if I was secretly on a tv show as well. Kinda like the Truman show.

SHE KNOWS!!!

Everyone scramble to first positions!

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
SHE KNOWS!!!

Everyone scramble to first positions!

Most boring show ever.

Oh look, she's awake. Oh look, she's eating breakfast. Now she's working. Now she's on CF. Cf. Cf. Cf, working. working. goes home. goes to bed.

Ratings gold!

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Most boring show ever.

Oh look, she's awake. Oh look, she's eating breakfast. Now she's working. Now she's on CF. Cf. Cf. Cf, working. working. goes home. goes to bed.

Ratings gold!

Come on, a cow that has a job and can type on CF? That's gold!

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I watched the Thriller laser disc a lot when I was a kid. They had a Pepsi ad on there and called MJ "The King of Pop." Well one day, I'm sitting there and that ad runs through and I say, "See mom, he's not just the king of Pepsi, he's the king of all pop."

Last edited:

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
I thought bands were at the radio stations playing all the songs live. Really confused me when I heard the same song on another station.

CLONECONES

Mar 15, 2012
RVA
I watched the Thriller laser disc a lot when I was a kid. They had a Pepsi ad on there and called MJ "The King of Pop." Well one day, I'm sitting there and that add runs through and I say, "See mom, he's not just the kind of Pepsi, he's the kind of all pop."

nice

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
two stand out:

1. I thought oral sex was just another term for french kissing
2. When I was about 4 I thought that war was when groups of people didn't like each other, so they would set up their tents in a big circle and try to steal each others' stuff at night. Whoever got the most stuff in the end, would win.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I thought bands were at the radio stations playing all the songs live. Really confused me when I heard the same song on another station.

To go along with this, I used to think movies were all live. And I also was very confused when some actors were in different movies over and over again

JSmoove

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2012
2611 Helser, Louden

This made me laugh out loud.

I heard a yeast infection commercial and though in my head "... it must be from going out east and getting and infection."

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
They have those stupid erectile dysfunction ads during football games and other stuff my boys watch. I have left the explanation to the husband each time one has a question about it.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
I also used to occasionally call my little brothers dildos (can I say that on Cyclone Fanatic?) without realizing what they were.

I did this as well. Right in front of my mother. That didn't go over well.

When I was 6, I thought that Tom Brokaw's name was Mikhail Gorbachev because he was always mentioning that guy's name.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I did this as well. Right in front of my mother. That didn't go over well.

When I was 6, I thought that Tom Brokaw's name was Mikhail Gorbachev because he was always mentioning that guy's name.

That's interesting to think about - all of the big political events that happened when we were little, and what we thought of them. I remember the Challenger exploding and the Berlin Wall coming down, those were both just enormous.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
That's interesting to think about - all of the big political events that happened when we were little, and what we thought of them. I remember the Challenger exploding and the Berlin Wall coming down, those were both just enormous.

I remember the start of Gulf War I when my dad showed me CNN. They had some video of rockets or something being fired in the darkness. It confused me a bit because my sister had just been born and my parents referred to her dirty diapers as "Scuds".

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I remember the start of Gulf War I when my dad showed me CNN. They had some video of rockets or something being fired in the darkness. It confused me a bit because my sister had just been born and my parents referred to her dirty diapers as "Scuds".

I was super-young when the Iran-Contra trials of Oliver North were all over TV. I remember my babysitter was ****** that she had to miss "The Price is Right."