Things You Completely Didn't Understand As a Child

NebraskaCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 3, 2009
Omaha
When I was little (early elementary), I thought that wrestling was real and remember one time wondering why when Hulk Hogan had be sent to the hospital there wasn't anything in the news about the incident nor his recovery.

Reactions: AllBig12Drinker

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
When we had our first kid my wife's grandparents came to visit. He was "rooting" a little on her grandma. Her grandpa said "why don't you whip one out and let him nibble on it a little?"

I threw up in my mouth.

That is the most horrifying thing I've read today.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I'm dysgraphic so why my letters didn't look like all the other kids in my class. Also that I wouldn't fly off roller coasters when I was upside down.

westlbcyclone

Jun 28, 2010
North Liberty
I remember having that moment of thinking Santa was a jerk...why did we get cool presents and such, but needy kids didn't and we had to buy gifts for the tree at the mall for needy kids. Even as an ego-centric young child I thought it was common sense Santa should provide for needy kids, not someone like me with a decent life.

That got so close to needing a spoiler alert... :jimlad:

BringBackJohnny

Feb 11, 2009
Ames
Couldn't understand why I never got a phone call to be on Legends of the Hidden Temple with my friends. We would have sooo won all the prizes!

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Nope, I never got it either. Also had pretty much the same experience with "health class"

I'm with yeah....and our older middle school health teacher tried to explain the poster that said, "pet your dog, not your date."

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Nope, I never got it either. Also had pretty much the same experience with "health class"

me neither. But we had a farm, so I figured it out by the time I hit double digits anyway. Though before I had my first date with my now-husband, she decided to sit me down and have this talk about teenagers and their hormones and how I don't want to end up pregnant. I'm just thinking mooooooooooooooooom stop talllllking. Then during our date, I'm thinking to myself, "I wonder if those hormones are going to go crazy on him and he's going to jump on me or something".

A couple weeks later she wants to have another talk about birth control. I was so tempted to be like, wait what, what is that for? How do babies get made? And make her do the birds and bees talk but I decided I didn't really want to sit through that.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
When I was really young, I thought drinking and driving meant don't drink ANYTHING when driving. My mom had to explain it to me when I freaked out on her for opening a Diet Pepsi while she was driving.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
When I was in 6th grade, I was telling my uncle about this good-looking girl at school. He says, "Get much?" I didn't have a clue. Now I'm that uncle.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
I remember accusing my dad of doing drugs during a unit in school that we were learning about caffeine

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I used to wonder where the light in the room went to when you turned off the switch. Later, I wondered if you lined all the room with mirrors, would the light just bounce around in there forever?

ManBearClone

Apr 29, 2010
During the 1972 Munich Olympics I thought Gorillas had attacked the athletes not Guerrillas. I had an image of these huge Gorillas throwing around the weight lifters like they were rag dolls.

Yep I know right out of Captain Ron.

[video=youtube;QyG0G96UB6k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyG0G96UB6k[/video]

Last edited:

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
When I was really young, I thought drinking and driving meant don't drink ANYTHING when driving. My mom had to explain it to me when I freaked out on her for opening a Diet Pepsi while she was driving.

I remember when my best friend got his drivers licence and we were driving on S14 headed toward Nevada. We met a Story County Deputy coming toward us as I took a drink of pop. Dude went out of his freaking skull thinking we were going to get pulled over! I still remember looking at him like he was joking, but he was as serious as a Sean Penn movie!

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I was super-young when the Iran-Contra trials of Oliver North were all over TV. I remember my babysitter was ****** that she had to miss "The Price is Right."

Pretty much my 7 year old take on the Kennedy Assassination and follow-on coverage; which if my memory serves correctly was a full 2 weeks. And there was no cable, VCR, DVDs, internet - just 3 networks with wall-to-wall coverage so no escaping it. Not even the Beverly Hillbillies, my favorite! A kid can only stand so much talking heads - no matter how significant the historical event.

ISUME

Mar 13, 2012
Pretty much my 7 year old take on the Kennedy Assassination and follow-on coverage; which if my memory serves correctly was a full 2 weeks. And there was no cable, VCR, DVDs, internet - just 3 networks with wall-to-wall coverage so no escaping it. Not even the Beverly Hillbillies, my favorite! A kid can only stand so much talking heads - no matter how significant the historical event.

This happened to me during the Oklahoma City Bombing. I was home sick from school and was ****** I couldn't watch The Price Is Right.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron