The X Files

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
And as silly as it was, I rather enjoyed it.

I think it was as enjoyable as it was because of how silly it was.

I enjoyed the mini-season last year, but the finale left me a bit frustrated, because we didn't know at the time if it was going to be returning or not. Glad to see they're bringing it back for at least one more season.

• Agree
Reactions: CYCLNST8

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I'm not saying the first movie killed the show (I actually rather liked the first movie), but the show just wasn't the same following the movie. I really didn't like the "discipline" angle where they were always having to sneak around, and then Mulder was abducted at the end of the season. It's funny - I always assumed me being busy my sophomore year at ISU was the reason why I drifted away from the show, but in retrospect, after binging the show a few years back, it had actually started going downhill right around then.

As far as last season, I don't necessarily think the magic is gone because it was a good season. But first, it has been 15 or so years since the original run ended, and besides a second movie, we knew very little about these characters anymore, and while they tried to catch us up, they're still kind of strangers. Second, there was very little memorable about last season. To this day I still remember particular episodes - Darkness Falls and Tooms (s1), Humbug (s2), Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose, 2Shy, and Syzygy (s3), Home (s4), Unusual Suspects, Detour, Chinga, Bad Blood (s5), and all those episodes have something in common - they're all "Monster of the Week" episodes disconnected from the overarching story arc. Everything about last season was story arc.
I don't remember titles, but I do remember a few episodes that I loved...
1) a rainmaker
2) twin sisters who couldn't be near each other without weird crap happening
3) a giant mushroom (fungus) and we didn't know if they were dreaming or awake...
4) the abandoned oceanliner - I LOVE the scene where they are walking up & down the hallways in different timelines, sometimes passing each other...and the music in that scene was stellar
5) a case is being described by different characters, from their totally biased points of view (one viewpoint says Mulder "screamed like a little girl"...

I'm too lazy to go through the wiki to figure out the episode titles. :)

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
My favorites are the one with the bounty hunter who turns into Mulder (and she hears Mulder on the phone and freaks) and one that I think is called Clyde's (can't remember last name) Final Repose, with the guy who can see the future and helps them stopping murders of psychics.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
1) a rainmaker
3) a giant mushroom (fungus) and we didn't know if they were dreaming or awake...
4) the abandoned oceanliner - I LOVE the scene where they are walking up & down the hallways in different timelines, sometimes passing each other...and the music in that scene was stellar
5) a case is being described by different characters, from their totally biased points of view (one viewpoint says Mulder "screamed like a little girl"...

The vampire one with the kid from The Sandlot and also had Luke Wilson as the Sheriff. Was a great episode.

I enjoyed the one with Jack Black and Giovanni Ribisi as well, the lightning guy.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
1) a rainmaker

I think 2 is Syzygy - and, for the record, I had to Wiki the titles.

The vampire one with the kid from The Sandlot and also had Luke Wilson as the Sheriff. Was a great episode.

I enjoyed the one with Jack Black and Giovanni Ribisi as well, the lightning guy.

The first one was Bad Blood, and that episode was just awesome.

Totally forgot about Jack Black and Giovanni Ribisi - that episode was great as well.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Darkness Falls: Mulder and Scully travel to a remote area of Washington State National Forest after an entire group of thirty loggers goes missing. They soon discover that an unseen force that was lying dormant has been awakened.

Tooms: Tooms is released from the psychiatric sanitarium in which he was incarcerated for assaulting Scully – and he needs to kill once more to get the final liver which will allow him to hibernate for another thirty years. Mulder and Scully race against time to find evidence of his involvement in the past string of murders before Tooms disappears again.

Humbug: Mulder and Scully must find the paranormal among the abnormal when they are sent to investigate a long standing series of ritualistic killings which match no known patterns. The latest of which was the death of the "Alligator Man", just one of many sideshow acts around which the town of Gibsonton, Florida, is built.

Soft Light: An ex-student of Scully's (Kate Twa) asks the agents to help her with her first investigation concerning a number of disappearances with very few clues. Mulder ponders the idea of spontaneous human combustion but rethinks it when they find a man (Tony Shalhoub) who is afraid of his own shadow. The man is Dr. Banton, a scientist researching dark matter. (one I forgot earlier)

D.P.O.: Mulder is skeptical over a coroner's report regarding the fifth person to be struck by lightning in a small Oklahoma town. Their investigation into the latest death seems to point to the only person to have survived a lightning strike, an emotionally charged youth. (the one bos posted)

Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose: Skeptical of a famous psychic's predictions regarding the murder of several prognosticators, Mulder instead finds someone who he believes truly can predict the future. Catching the killer could prove difficult, though, particularly if the murderer can also see into his future.

2Shy: Meeting insecure women through an on-line service, a serial killer seduces his prey with the right words. However, Mulder and Scully determine these killings are far from ordinary by the presence of a strange substance coating the victims, a substance which seems to digest the fatty acids in flesh.

Syzygy: Mulder and Scully investigate strange murders in New Hampshire that may be due to a rare planetary alignment that affects people's behavior. (They weren't twins; they were best friends born on the same day and planetary alignment was setting them off)

Hell Money: A string of mysterious deaths of recent Chinese immigrants brings Agents Mulder and Scully to San Francisco's Chinatown. The Agents team up with a Chinese-American detective to better understand the language and customs of the Chinese culture, but one thing remains frighteningly clear—all of the bodies are missing various internal organs. (this is the one where a "rigged" gambling game forced the loser to donate his organs on the black market)

Jose Chung's "From Outer Space": When a couple claims to have been abducted by aliens, Agents Mulder and Scully try to get at the truth but everyone has a different version of the story, including the "aliens" themselves.

Home: In a small, otherwise peaceful town, the agents investigate the death of an infant with disturbing birth defects, and the trail leads to a clan of inbred, genetic mutants.

Unusual Suspects: The origins of the Lone Gunmen are explored. In 1989, two salesmen and a federal employee join forces when they meet Susanne Modeski, a woman who claims that she is being pursued by her violent ex-boyfriend, an FBI agent named Fox Mulder. We learn how agent Mulder came to meet three friendly and familiar faces.

Detour: On the way to an FBI convention in Florida, Mulder and Scully stop to help in the investigation of the mysterious disappearance of three people in the woods, where a pair of invisible humanoids lurk.

Chinga: Scully takes a vacation to Maine, where she encounters a bizarre case where the victims appear to have inflicted wounds upon themselves – apparently at the behest of a strange young girl.

Bad Blood: While investigating bizarre exsanguinations in Texas, Mulder kills a teenage boy whom he "mistakes" for a vampire. Awaiting a meeting with Skinner, Mulder and Scully attempt to get their stories "straight" by relating to each other their differing versions of what happened during their investigation.

Triangle: Mulder goes in search of a ship that disappeared in the Bermuda Triangle in 1939. But when he gets on board, Mulder finds that he—and all the passengers and crew (as well as some strangely familiar ones)—are still stuck in the past.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
1) a rainmaker

Okay, Jdog - you shamed me into it.
1) The Rain King S6E8
2) Fight Club S7E20
3) Field Trip S6E24
4) Triangle S6E03
5) Jose Chung's "From Outer Space" S3E20

I remember Syzygy (mostly because of the value of using it for hangman), but it was about two teenage girls who turn into blonde beyotches when the planets align. Side note - they kill Ryan Reynolds. :D

There was another one I remembered when I was looking for these titles...Mulder switches bodies with a guy at area 51...played by Michael McKean.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Okay, Jdog - you shamed me into it.
1) The Rain King S6E8
2) Fight Club S7E20
3) Field Trip S6E24
4) Triangle S6E03
5) Jose Chung's "From Outer Space" S3E20

I remember Syzygy (mostly because of the value of using it for hangman), but it was about two teenage girls who turn into blonde beyotches when the planets align. Side note - they kill Ryan Reynolds. :D

There was another one I remembered when I was looking for these titles...Mulder switches bodies with a guy at area 51...played by Michael McKean.

200w.gif

• Winner
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

LowOverhead

Jun 15, 2015
Was SE Iowa
Been watching recordings of Mediacom channel 109 on Tuesday nights. They show reruns in season episode order. I had forgotten how "The Lone Gunmen" had died.

cdface

Oct 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines (IC)
Just saw Netflix pulled it. **** them.

MOTHER ******.

I had a couple seasons to go, and I had no idea that was going to happen or I would have finished them last winter. **** Netflix, those cheap bastards. Now I've got to check a bunch of extra stuff out from the library just to find where I was actually at....

• Dislike
Reactions: Nozick

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
MOTHER ******.

I had a couple seasons to go, and I had no idea that was going to happen or I would have finished them last winter. **** Netflix, those cheap bastards. Now I've got to check a bunch of extra stuff out from the library just to find where I was actually at....

Wasn't necessarily Netflix - Fox could have forced them to take it down.

Help Support Us

Become a patron