The X Files

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
I heard Gillian wants season 11 to be her last. I also understand agents Einstein and Miller will return this season:
feec8928e1b9a8679f64662f67dc70d5--lauren-ambrose-the-x-files.jpg

Might they get the lead roles in season 12?

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Cig Smoking Man has hit a new low. That mother ******!

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I heard Gillian wants season 11 to be her last. I also understand agents Einstein and Miller will return this season:
feec8928e1b9a8679f64662f67dc70d5--lauren-ambrose-the-x-files.jpg

Might they get the lead roles in season 12?

These guys are no-shows so far.

I'm really loving Season 10 and 11 combined. Nostalgia can poison the mind and there are people out there acting like all 9 seasons were gold...they weren't.

My own ranking of X-Files quality is now:

1. S3-S4-S5 arc (even then there was a clunker here or there)
1A. Fight the Future Movie
2. S1 and S2

bit of a gap here

3. S10 and S11
4. S6 and S7 (debatable, but for me I am enjoying the energy of 10/11 much more)
5. I Want to Believe Movie

another big gap

6. S8 and S9

These 16 episodes, unless there's a nose dive, are going to be the best X-Files since the "golden age" of S3-S5.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I'm not saying the first movie killed the show (I actually rather liked the first movie), but the show just wasn't the same following the movie. I really didn't like the "discipline" angle where they were always having to sneak around, and then Mulder was abducted at the end of the season. It's funny - I always assumed me being busy my sophomore year at ISU was the reason why I drifted away from the show, but in retrospect, after binging the show a few years back, it had actually started going downhill right around then.

As far as last season, I don't necessarily think the magic is gone because it was a good season. But first, it has been 15 or so years since the original run ended, and besides a second movie, we knew very little about these characters anymore, and while they tried to catch us up, they're still kind of strangers. Second, there was very little memorable about last season. To this day I still remember particular episodes - Darkness Falls and Tooms (s1), Humbug (s2), Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose, 2Shy, and Syzygy (s3), Home (s4), Unusual Suspects, Detour, Chinga, Bad Blood (s5), and all those episodes have something in common - they're all "Monster of the Week" episodes disconnected from the overarching story arc. Everything about last season was story arc.

That's crazy that I had the same experience losing track of it about that same time when I started at ISU. It was harder to keep up with shows then...in middle school and high school I'd set a tape to watch/rewatch my favorite shows (X-Files, SNL, Seinfeld) because I didn't have much else to do especially when we were living in a really boring town in Nebraska and the internet was just a baby. The X-Files could beat out a Friday night in a town I couldn't stand, couldn't beat out almost any night of college especially after it lost something.

I rewatched straight through in '05 mostly by myself...and then again around '10 when I got my wife hooked into it (shipper gets them). There's something after 5/movie where it just loses steam. 6 and 7 aren't "bad", still way better than 99% of network TV. But it just didn't have it.

I actually think of the 11 new episodes we've gotten that about 4-5 of them really have the best of the old feel...which is to say not as good as the S3-S5 heyday, but better than the later years.

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
Have no clue what is going on right now. It's not coming in very good. Only channel that is like this, started right at 7:00.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron