"The Worst Band of all Time"

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Congrats on playing guitar. This is a pretty subjective topic so saying I don't know jack about music because I tab Candlebox as the worst band ever is kind of stupid. Their songwriting is bad. Embarrassingly bad. As in the worst. Check out their lyrics. And everything about them is just phony. They're the 'Johnny Bravo' of the 90s... the outfits are right, the pained emotional expressions are spot on, post-grunge hair-length and theatrical hand movements are perfect. Sure thing. Bands like Candlebox are like American soccer. Technically it might be ok, but it's not convincing. This is my opinion. You have yours. The great thing about a conversation like this is no one is right or wrong. Just opinions.
Nice Johnny Bravo drop in. (as long as you are talking about the original Brady Bunch Johnny Bravo)

• Agree
Reactions: isu_ce

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Back when I was posting a lot of music to my Facebook page I was going to post this on April 1st with some kind of big made up story about how someone famous (Elvis, Buddy Holly, John Lennon or such)was somehow involved in the recording.

I've heard a lot of bad music and have owned many boxes of records that I've dropped needle on and this one always stood out to me as one of the worst.

I just figured it was him talking his parents into springing for the studio time and pressing.

Reactions: cyclones500

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Who? .... Bastank.
1f43386c81dcf95093495f9cea3d034e.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: GTO and srjclone

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Congrats on playing guitar. This is a pretty subjective topic so saying I don't know jack about music because I tab Candlebox as the worst band ever is kind of stupid. Their songwriting is bad. Embarrassingly bad. As in the worst. Check out their lyrics. And everything about them is just phony. They're the 'Johnny Bravo' of the 90s... the outfits are right, the pained emotional expressions are spot on, post-grunge hair-length and theatrical hand movements are perfect. Sure thing. Bands like Candlebox are like American soccer. Technically it might be ok, but it's not convincing. This is my opinion. You have yours. The great thing about a conversation like this is no one is right or wrong. Just opinions.

Just so I don't look like unfair biased fake news, I never really thought I'd find an anti-Candlebox hardo either. This has been a ride.

• Funny
Reactions: Nothingman

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
Back when I was posting a lot of music to my Facebook page I was going to post this on April 1st with some kind of big made up story about how someone famous (Elvis, Buddy Holly, John Lennon or such)was somehow involved in the recording.

I've heard a lot of bad music and have owned many boxes of records that I've dropped needle on and this one always stood out to me as one of the worst.

I just figured it was him talking his parents into springing for the studio time and pressing.

That is ******* awful. You win.

Reactions: MeanDean

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines

Candelbox has worse lyrics than Theory of a Deadman? Look, they arent my favorite band by any means. Im just saying, they have some musical talent, they arent a band I would be excited to see, but I dont see them anywhere near the level as say Nickelback or one of those schlock rock bands like American Authors or One Republic.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
That is ******* awful. You win.

Thanks. I would say it has a special place in my record collection as something to play when you want to show people how bad it can get.

I own it, purely because it was in a big cache of records I bought at a flea market - but never would have bothered to post in on Youtube. I was really surprised to find it online.

Last edited:

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
That was frustrating to listen to...terribly offbeat. Seems like an attempt by musical elitists to make something cool that is terrible.

The Shagg's are the saddest band of all time. Motivated by money and fame to form and perform by their father, the sisters disbanded after his death. For over twenty years I have tried to listen to their music and any pretense it is genius is not in evidence.

The Roches, another all-girl 60's family band, had some talent also rate pretty lowly in my mind. I offer this as one of their better and most polished tunes (a GIF from 3:35 to 3:45 be good rebuke to some posts) :

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

Imagine a guitar player with a high voice makes a 45. The record is left near a heat source and become warped, then you put it on the turntable and slow it to 33-1/3. You'd get something like that song.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Well, I resisted but any talk of the worst band in the world needs to have this grindcore mess. The name is too offensive to post so I won't post a link but if you want a sample go to Youtube and search on Hitler was a sensitive man

Edit: I assume Demoncore will disagree

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
A few of my favorite deliberately-bad fictional bands (not counting Spinal Tap):

From TV:

“Whisker patrol/whisker patrol/cat-scratch fever is the way we roll”
*Cat in band!

Obvious movie example:

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

I was there for The Flaming Lips Experiment in '97 I believe...which wasn't their band but some avant gaurd experiment with hundreds of boom boxes. It was received very poorly, as in I could barely hear over the boos and heckling. I don't think their normal music act would have been received well by ISU's general population but it would have been a lot better.

I mean I love the weirdness of it, but it was a horrific fit for a big stage VEISHA concert.

• Informative
Reactions: cyclones500

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I was there for The Flaming Lips Experiment in '97 I believe...which wasn't their band but some avant gaurd experiment with hundreds of boom boxes. It was received very poorly, as in I could barely hear over the boos and heckling. I don't think their normal music act would have been received well by ISU's general population but it would have been a lot better.

I mean I love the weirdness of it, but it was a horrific fit for a big stage VEISHA concert.

That experiment intrigued me when I first caught wind of it, and wondered what it was like, but I don't think I've read a truly positive review. Ambition is admirable, but execution apparently didn't work so well.

Didn't the Lips start that project on a smaller scale, with fewer boom-boxes to synchronize, done outdoors?