The three Cyclone basketball players who made you the fan you are today

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
1966 was my first year at ISU, so Don Smith (Zaid Abdul-Aziz) and McGonigle were Juniors. After watching Don Smith, who was probably the greatest Cyclone basketball player ever, I was hooked. The next year, Bill Cain joined them and made one heck of a trio.
Yes,Bill Cain….Dave Collins (two players by that name), Aaron Jenkins, and, later,Martinez Denmon and Wes Harris….

Reactions: aauummm

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
I was a fan before the Fred (playing) era and loved Grayer, Thigpen, Doerrfield, Big Vic, Brian Pearson, etc…but Fred was the guy. And in turn the guys on his team’s became my favorites along with Fred. Hurl was from Des Moines, Fred was from Ames which was close enough. Then you toss in Michalik and Meyer. Howard Eaton was a dogg. Morgan Wheat came in for a year another Des Moines guy. Just a ton of local flavor during the Hoiberg playing era and they were going up against a bunch of hok teams with a lot of local guys as well. Cool time for CBB in Iowa. Just doesn’t happen that much like that anymore for a state like Iowa.
Eaton was clutch….

cyfan21

Aug 24, 2010
Davenport
Stinson, blalock, carr are the earliest games I remember seeing and being fully invested into ISU basketball

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
Many star players mentioned, which is to be expected. Not to be ignored are the players that had lesser athletic talent, were limited but still gave it their all. Many played backup rolls, were never going to be NBA stars. Still earned the admiration of fans because we all secretly thought we could be competitive with them in a game of horse.

Keith Moore comes to mind. Only 5’10”. His heart was always taller.

David Moss. What can you say about the lesser centers.
Had some great minutes, see Sam Hill needed a rule change as 5 fouls were usually not enough.

Terry Woods. Always looked up to most former players as he was only 5’ 9”. True definition of the little point guard that would embarrass you just because thats what he did.

The longer one is a Cyclone fan the more the roll players win ones heart. Wouldn’t it be fun to play Robert Jones in a game of horse?

Reactions: drlove

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
I was not an ISU fan growing up. My freshman year was the Royce White year, and I got to be a student season ticket holder for arguably 4 of the best years of ISU basketball this century.

R. White
Christopherson
Niang

Gundog73

Mar 25, 2020
Being an Iowa fan (Grew up in the Quad Cities) when I showed up to ISU in the Fall of 1991, I knew very little about ISU. I would say that Hoiberg and Thigpen initially started my ISU fandom, but it wasn't until a few years later that Dedric Willoughby really cemented my life long obsession with ISU MBB,

Reactions: drlove and Die4Cy

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Barry Stevens, Jeff Hornacek, and Jeff Grayer. I have been a Cyclone fan since I was 5, but these three guys along with Johnny Orr changed Iowa State basketball forever. Iowa State basketball was finally fun. I was in high school or at Iowa State when all three of these guys played.

UnlimitedRange

Apr 10, 2019
Hoiberg, Willoughby and Fizer. My fandom was reignited following the McDermott years with the Hoiberg era. Niang, Ejim and Naz were the 3 that I felt really made a decision to be a part of the Cyclone community.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
My 3 favorite ISU players ever are: Fizer, Stinson, and Niang.

Hoiberg, Willoughby, and Cato though are the guys who made me love Iowa State back in the 90’s.

Reactions: 0u812

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Willoughby, Mike Nurse, Niang.

Mike Nurse wasn't the greatest player, but he was an absolute dog. Got hit by a car and played a game the same week. Was absolutely spitting fire at our opponents on Twitter last season. He epitomized the grit and not caring about being overlooked that defines the ISU ethos to me.

Reactions: CyNews and bawbie

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
My 3 favorite ISU players ever are: Fizer, Stinson, and Niang.

Hoiberg, Willoughby, and Cato though are the guys who made me love Iowa State back in the 90’s.
Yeah, if we're talking the team that made you love ISU, for me it's the '95/'96 squad with Willoughby, Cato, Pratt, Bankhead, and Holloway that won the final Big 8 tournament.

Reactions: Acer88 and 0u812

cyowa

Apr 18, 2006
Hester, Beechum, and Modderman
Ancient history, but I'm kind of
Ancient too; but it would be Gary Thompson and the KU game about 1957 if I remember correctly. I was sitting by the radio with my Dad when the Clones took down Kansas and Wilt. Became a Cyclone fan from that night forward and on my mind no one has passed Gary as my greatest Cyclone.

DrShip

Dec 30, 2013
Rio, WI
Willoughby, Cato, Pratt in that order.

I was 6 or so, and it's the first season I really remember. Still have the poster from that year (thanks mom and dad).

I barely remember the Big 8 era but miss it. Real rivalries, solid schools, and geographic sanity. Always seemed like it was Big 8 vs Texas schools. Maybe it's because I grew up in NE and they hated Texas.

God I hate Texas.

cyfan4St8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2008
Iowa
Gosh I started to get hooked when I saw Mike Born, Terry Woods, and Victor Alexander. But then I became a hard core fan when it was Hoiberg, Beechman, Michalik, Holloway, Meyer. After that we’ve had a lot of special players… But Niang has been close to our family and continues to be someone no matter where he goes and does we are his fans for life. A lot of players only leave a legacy of what the do on the court. But he continues to support and bring notice to the school and the community.

Jim GBA

Oct 31, 2019
Yes,Bill Cain….Dave Collins (two players by that name), Aaron Jenkins, and, later,Martinez Denmon and Wes Harris….
I remember Don Smith, Bill Cain and Dave Collins as well. Back then Channel 5 would replay the Saturday night home games at 10:30 pm. Don't know about Cain and Collins but Smith played against the great UCLA/Alcindor team out at Pauley Pavillion.

Reactions: NWICY

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron