The three Cyclone basketball players who made you the fan you are today

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Echoing several people's choices -- Stevens, Grayer, Hornacek. That's when I first experienced Hilton.

Going back to mostly-radio exposure, I have a soft spot for Orr's first team including Robert Estes, Ron Harris and Lefty Moore (Terrence Allen was a freshman that season, too).

LOL 2 quick Terrance Allen stories.
1. Terrance went up for a break away dunk banged it off the front of the rim went out to about half court. Johnny never even looked who was beside him he just grabbed them by the arm and pushed them to the scoring table. Hell it could have been the manager and he would have sent him in. :D
2. Terrance got absolutely mauled going for a lay up no call at all. He waited for the dude to post up on the free throw line and when dude went up to bring in the pass undercut him at the knees. Crowd loved it but the refs did call a foul on him.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Stevens, Grayer, Niang. But as many others have said Johnny Orr. When him and Pete died I was truly sad. Even though neither one knew me they were instrumental in my Cyclone Fandom.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Super interesting to see so many mentions of Alexander. Maybe we are all about the same age?

It's a bummer that the trio of Alexander, Baugh, and Mack didn't play together for 4 years. That would have been quite the run.

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I have been a Cyclone fan since I could breath but I would have to say Jeff Grayer, Jeff H and Sam Hill, also Big Vic. Of course Johnny Orr is the big reason.

Chitownclone2

May 13, 2010
Stevie Johnson coming over from football to rebound for LE.
Wasn’t Stevie a 4 year basketball player before he joined the football team his 5th year at ISU? I don’t recall him playing both during a year, but I could be wrong.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Wasn’t Stevie a 4 year basketball player before he joined the football team his 5th year at ISU? I don’t recall him playing both during a year, but I could be wrong.
You're right. He was basketball and joined football after his eligibility was exhausted.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
As much as I loved the players during Hoiball, watching players like Rahshon Clark, Curtis Stinson, and Will Blalock play when I first started at ISU probably set me on the path to fandom for life. I wasn't huge into basketball at the time but I begrudgingly went with the guys on my floor since I had the all-sports ticket, and I'm glad I did now. 2004-05 was a great first impression of ISU basketball.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I grew up in Husker country and despised them because of the 24/7 coverage, so I never paid attention to college sports. I grew up a big NBA fan. That being said I knew next to nothing about Iowa State coming into my freshman year '02-'03.

So....
1. Is Jake Sullivan, he was my favorite player from the 02-03 team (HM to Vroman (RIP) and Homan).
2. Curtis Stinson (HM Blaylock/Clark) for some real fun years although didn't bring much late season success.
3. John Neal. I'm going to throw this out there as it was the first time I got a taste of 'Hilton Magic' and how much the fans get behind a team. All the chants for the bench guys, and how everyone went nuts for Neal after that game, really showed how the fans were more of a community.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I was a fan before the Fred (playing) era and loved Grayer, Thigpen, Doerrfield, Big Vic, Brian Pearson, etc…but Fred was the guy. And in turn the guys on his team’s became my favorites along with Fred. Hurl was from Des Moines, Fred was from Ames which was close enough. Then you toss in Michalik and Meyer. Howard Eaton was a dogg. Morgan Wheat came in for a year another Des Moines guy. Just a ton of local flavor during the Hoiberg playing era and they were going up against a bunch of hok teams with a lot of local guys as well. Cool time for CBB in Iowa. Just doesn’t happen that much like that anymore for a state like Iowa.

Reactions: drlove and 0u812