The MAC cancels its fall football season

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
Was thinking "But don't they smoke more?" which would seem a factor is a respiratory killer. Looked it up and 28% of EU smokes compared to USA at 19%. But we still have more deaths /100K from smoking, so weird. Than looked and saw that 40% of USA smokers suck down more than pack a day and EU only 9% of smoker suck more than a pack of heaters/day.

I saw a study a while back that showed smokers were not getting the virus. I was looking for it to post the link but of course can't seem to find it. The jist was that they weren't sure if smokers weren't getting the virus or if they were just asymptomatic and therefore not being tested.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Yes, clonedude has been droning on for weeks about how stupid people are and if everyone would have just stayed home we somehow would miraculously have been able to have a normal football season.

I've never said it would be a "normal" football season, but we may have been able to have football with a very limited number of fans.... like mostly just family and friends of players, coaches, etc.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Maybe that's the key. Show people it's a privilege.
If you want that privilege back do your part and hold those around you accountable for their part. Let's limit three spread like 90% of other developed countries and get back some normalcy.

I think in Alabama they tried this and said 'if you want college football, follow the safety measures' and it worked for a while but then they reportedly started having Covid parties to bet on who could get it first.

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
To me, the MAC did this to try and put pressure on the P5 to do the same since MAC schools are set to lose a lot of money with conference only games being a thing. I still think every attempt will be made to play football in the fall. Ia it possible that we don't make it through an entire season, for sure, but I see no way this cash cow is not at least attempted.

Just my opinion, flame away.

I think it comes down to whether university presidents view having football as a risk to the university's school year plans. The ISU AD budget is $86M while the university budget is about $750M. There's the risk both of having students being in large groups and traveling off campus with football and then also the PR risks. Based on the fact the Big 10 presidents met yesterday and the negative rumblings last night, it seems the presidents are leaning towards no football this fall.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I saw a study a while back that showed smokers were not getting the virus. I was looking for it to post the link but of course can't seem to find it. The jist was that they weren't sure if smokers weren't getting the virus or if they were just asymptomatic and therefore not being tested.
I could see that correlation being accurate. Smokers generally already have at least minor respiratory problems so minor Covid symptoms might not really seem that out of the ordinary to a smoker.

kcbob79clone

Yes, clonedude has been droning on for weeks about how stupid people are and if everyone would have just stayed home we somehow would miraculously have been able to have a normal football season.

Sadly 2020 was doomed from the start, no matter what was done. I preferred to remain somewhat optimistic about CFB and a little more optimistic about MBB/WBB.

kcbob79clone

That's not a very good point. We would have CFB if people would have changed their habits, wore masks and social distanced.
Look at the community spread in other countries. They would absolutely be playing CFB. We can't but that's ok, we have our freedom to not wear masks.

Clonedude and others would still say we couldn't play CFB

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
If the US had controlled the spread as well as the EU, we wouldn't be talking about canceling the season.

image.png
probably have 10% of fans for the first game and based off of how it goes, increase it as time goes on. England is hoping to allow fans back in the stadium in October after having no fans to finish out the domestic season and are now finishing the European cups over the next 2 weeks.
We would definitely have a season but with limited fans.

For the country as a whole, actions (or inactions) have consequences. This is a consequence for not taking covid seriously at the beginning and implementing stricter measures such as countries like New Zealand.

I feel bad for people who took the proper measures and have their livelihoods affected by this. For people that thought this was a hoax and now have a loved one passed away or very sick, i hope you use this as a wake up call.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

kcbob79clone

If this logic were used for other things, we could deny that a whole bunch of stuff has happened.

There's examples of games being cancelled late but not last minute.

I somehow forgot that there is a lack of a sense of humor. OP sounded like first hand so I made a JOKE

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I somehow forgot that there is a lack of a sense of humor. OP sounded like first hand so I made a JOKE

Yeah wasn't arguing just commenting.

There are people out there that operate like this though. It's fascinating.

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
Has Iowa State announced anything about the level of enrollment for the fall semester, this year compared to last?

I know this is a football discussion, but the financial impact and effect on the future of the University is a real problem. I think the numbers they have already announced on the whole University effect is over $150 million.