The Last of Us HBO series

bstegs

SuperFanatic
Apr 11, 2006
Champaign, IL
This show will probably be epic if it is 30ish episodes at the current pace. Unlike Walking Dead where I had read the comics, I've never played this game. It seems they are keeping spirit of the game but changing some small details from what the creators say in the feature after each episode.
This is definitely true. I've played the first game 3 times and the second game twice. It has meant some aspects of the show haven't captured my attention, but there are plenty of others where I've been stunned by how well they executed or incorporated a sequence. This was particularly true with the end of the KC episode and the flashback episode. The Bill and Frank episode is just a fantastic story all on its own.

Reactions: HFCS

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I believe the first episode was actually shot as 2 separate ones, felt it worked better as a single episode. That's why we got 9 instead of 10.

The first episode originally ended with Joel throwing that kid's body on the fire.

HBO wanted them to combine episode 1\2 because not only would that be quite a downer first episode, but it wouldnt introduce the driving force of the story (Ellie and their journey across the country) at all.

That being said, I think this would have benefitted from being like a 12 episode order (with those 2 episodes being combined, getting 11). Having some more time to see Joel and Ellie's relationship grow, a few more run-ins with infected, etc would have been beneficial. Episode 6 could have been split into 2 episodes and both fleshed out. We're never going back to 20+ episode seasons but I think the sweet spot is somewhere in the 12-15 episode range, and almost all the shows that go in the shorter 8-10 ranges end up feeling rushed.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloneworld

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
It's a great episode but it's kind of a bummer they are consistently dropping moments with the infected in favor of adding background for side characters.
I don’t know. Characters are more interesting than zombies. That’s what sets a good show apart.

JCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 9, 2009
I generally prefer a season ending with me wanting another episode otherwise it's too easy for filler shows.

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
My only complaints about this episode are that Joel found Ellie outside instead of pulling her off David and that they didn't use the All Gone music.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I'd been looking forward to this chapter for awhile. It was absolutely brutal in the game.

The episode did not disappoint. The actor who played David did a great job of capturing that creepiness that he had. And Bella Ramsey really showed us Ellie's violent side (something people have been concerned whether she could handle in Pt2).

Nailed the line “tell them Ellie is the little girl that broke your ******* finger”. Their whole back and forth after she’s captured was excellent. And Troy Baker got a great death.

Can’t wait to see the finale.

• Agree
Reactions: alarson and legi

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Nailed the line “tell them Ellie is the little girl that broke your ******* finger”. Their whole back and forth after she’s captured was excellent. And Troy Baker got a great death.

Can’t wait to see the finale.

Yeah for sure. That line really sold me.

I loved this comparison someone on reddit pulled together

94wrc62145ma1.jpg

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
My only complaints about this episode are that Joel found Ellie outside instead of pulling her off David and that they didn't use the All Gone music.

Same. It’s much less dramatic, for Joel to not be the person who essentially pulls Ellie back from losing herself (justifiably) to blind rage, and I think rather significant in that now Joel never actually sees first-hand the exact situation that Ellie was in, and therefore the violence that she’s capable of. I actually think there’s a decent amount lost in this moment vs the one in the game. I also didn’t really like how they chose to do it (in comparison to the game).

Joel, as a character, is also more human overall in the show, with a bit less of an emotional wall, so this big moment of him repeating that line “it’s okay baby girl” was going to have less dramatic impact in the show than in the game, because in the game this moment was a pretty huge breakdown of his emotional walls to associate with Ellie like that, albeit perhaps less realistic.

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
Yeah for sure. That line really sold me.

I loved this comparison someone on reddit pulled together

94wrc62145ma1.jpg

Yeah, it seems clear that they have been planning for Part II, and they’re trying to establish Ellie’s penchant for violence.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

I can see benefits of both ways.

In the new way, we see Ellie saving herself, not having to be saved and that might have some value going into part 2.

We also add some depth to Joel's fear of failing Ellie like he feels he failed his daughter. Once again, he wasn't able to be there. All he was able to do was see the aftermath and be there for her.

I think this just adds to Joel's motivation when the fireflies are going to kill Ellie to make the vaccine. In his mind, he can't fail her again, no matter the greater cost.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL

They explained this in the after episode commentary. TLDR version, it’s Ellie growing up and learning from Joel to survive when Joel is not there. They wanted to build that from a character standpoint, to the point where they even mention your exact scenario.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Just finished the finale. A quick episode, but so was this section of the game and I don't feel like they really removed anything of substance.

Having Ellie's voice actress play Ellie's mom was perfect. Loved that addition.

Giraffes! :D

Adding the touch that Joel tried to kill himself after Sarah was an interesting addition. Adds another level to Joel's character, and how he couldn't deal with that kind of pain again.

I wondered how they were going to do joel's rampage through the hospital given they've toned down the violence quite a bit from the game and man, I think they did that well.

Almost everything from there was pretty much a direct adaptation from the game. Loved that.

Great season of TV, id probably say 9/10 adaptation because there are some things I would improve on (a bit more length in the middle, some more of the infected). Its going to be a long wait for season 2.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Just finished the finale. A quick episode, but so was this section of the game and I don't feel like they really removed anything of substance.

Having Ellie's voice actress play Ellie's mom was perfect. Loved that addition.

Giraffes! :D

Adding the touch that Joel tried to kill himself after Sarah was an interesting addition. Adds another level to Joel's character, and how he couldn't deal with that kind of pain again.

I wondered how they were going to do joel's rampage through the hospital given they've toned down the violence quite a bit from the game and man, I think they did that well.

Almost everything from there was pretty much a direct adaptation from the game. Loved that.

Great season of TV, id probably say 9/10 adaptation because there are some things I would improve on (a bit more length in the middle, some more of the infected). Its going to be a long wait for season 2.
Does the game end like that? Kind of abrupt at the very, very end

Kaner04

Apr 22, 2019
Great series. Have never played the games surprisingly since I’m a big video game guy. Next thing to watch is a play through of Part 1.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron