The impact of Vette (or any Iowa HS player)

Oldgeezer

Mar 18, 2006
Waukon, Iowa
Mike Bergman did not have a great career at ISU. He started a game of 2 before Christmas his soph year, and got hurt. Transfered somewhere? Spanich played HS ball somwhere in the "corridor" Cedar Rapids-Iowa City? I think, but it seems to me he transfered back to the midwest to finish his college career. Really, the media picks the Mr. Basketball doesn't it? And they put the most emphasis on who offered, just like the recruiting services. I would have put my vote (if I had one) to Barz from Johnston. Vette and his team won the state tournement, Barz didn't so the nod goes to Vette.

psycln11

Apr 20, 2006
Ankeny
98 Newman Roosevelt; Northwestern/Drake; I was in grad school at NU at the time and saw a ton of his games; he started right out of the box; was 5-5 from 3 in the first half in an eventual OT lost to Knight and Indiana, then students started chanting "Daavviddd Newmmaan, Daavviddd Newmmaan", so he jacked up an off balance 3 from the corner and missed badly. Kevin O'Neil pulled him and cussed up a blue streak. The big post Evan Eshmeyer graduated after Newman's FR year and they cratered after that.

Newman went to Hoover not Roosevelt.

http://www.iahsaa.org/bb_mr_bb.pdf

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Hmmmm..... Interesting comments. Let me see if I understand. Someone starts a thread titled "The impact of Vette", and we can only opine if we think he will be a major contributor. Otherwise, we should just keep a lid on our opinions.

I see nothing in any of the posts in this thread that portrays Vette in a negative or deragatory manner.

Well said.

We each have our opinions about the current and incoming players. As long as it doesn't get mean/derogatory as PsychedClone stated, there shouldn't be an issue with it.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
Are those statistics supposed to make people feel good about dis'ing Vette?

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Neither of you had info on Mike Davis of Waterloo East in 1990, so I went looking and found this...

MIKE DAVIS. Mike graduated from East in 1990. He received many honors while playing basketball at East. Mike was a member of East High's State Basketball Champion Team in 1990. He received 1st Team All-State honors in 1988, 1989 and 1990, 1st Team All Big 8 Basketball honors in '88,'89 and '90, 1st Team All Big 5 honors in '88,'89 and '90, was selected as Mr. Basketball of Iowa in 1990, was selected as the Iowa Gatorade Player of the Year 1990, was the USA Today State Player of the Year 1989 and 1990 and was a Days Inn Naismith Basketball Award Winner. Mike went on to play two years at Southeastern Community College in Burlington, IA scoring 1,100 pts. and being selected as an All JuCo player, both years. He went on to finish his college basketball at Southwest Missouri State. While at Southwest Missouri, Mike participated in the NCAA Tournament his junior year and the N.I.T. his senior year. For the past five (5) years, Mike has worked in the business division of SprintlPSC. Mike lives in Chicago with his wife and his son.

.... Also, Van Es is playing at Northwestern (Iowa).