The impact of Vette (or any Iowa HS player)

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
The IHSAA has named 29 kids "Mr. Basketball" since 1981. In my opinion, only 4 of these players have went on to have significant careers...Hoiberg, LaFrentz, Hinrich, and Collison. We all hope Vette is someday listed with these players but the percentages don't seem to be with him.

Here is the list of all of the kids named Mr. Basketball since 1981. Some of them had average college careers, some had poor college careers, and some I can't even recall. If you have any info on any of these kids, please post it!

81 Berkenpas (iowa, I believe?)
82 Kraayenbrink (UNI) / Burbach (ended career at ISU, I believe)
83 Lumsden
84 Lorenzen (the Vanilla Gorilla...iowa!)
85 David
86 Gaines
87 Johnson (ISU)
88 Lookingbill
89 Bergman
90 Davis
91 Hoiberg (ISU)
92 Pothoven
93 Settles (iowa)
94 LaFrentz (KU)
95 Spanich
96 Wessel (did this kid go to Arizona?)
97 Oliver (iowa)
98 Newman
99 Hinrich (KU) / Collison (KU)
00 Worley (iowa)
01 McKinney
02 Horner (iowa)
03 McKowen (UNI)
04 Reed
05 Van Es
06 Bohannon (Wisconsin)
07 Vette (ISU...Iowa not Indiana State!)

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I would consider Horner and Oliver to have had significant careers. Wasn't Horner a 4 year starter? Also, Bohannon got a lot of playing time as a true freshman on a top ten team. Worley I also remember as being solid, although he never matched the hype.

clones11

Apr 2, 2006
Marion
bohannon is look like he wil make a splash at wisconsin and i think this vette guy was a lot of potential to be a solid contributer under Gmac it seems as though he already has the body now its just fine tunning it to become a big 12 machine

psycln11

Apr 20, 2006
Ankeny
I would say Lorenzen and Oliver had significant careers at Iowa. Tyler McKinney did a great job at Creighton and went to several NCAA Tourney's. It's too early to say for Bohannon, but he had a good freshman year for Wisconsin.

FWIW...Settles had a great 7 year career at Iowa!! It's just too bad injuries plagued him or he could have made it 10. :laugh8kb:

CY ST8T

Mar 23, 2006
Even though you could debate a significant career, we would have started and played Worley, Bohannon, Settles, Lorenzon, McKowen, Horner and Oliver. Sorry, but this really makes no real point. And with good coaching who knows if one or two more could have been better. 6'9" and 245 pounds is all I care about right now and I am liking the outlook.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I'll Take a Homan Type Career

The Mr Basketball thing is just a label.

At this point the ISU hoops program needs quality players and if Vette can develop into a Brunner or Homan type player we'll be in good shape.

Going back 120 years or 25 years the past avails itself to exceptions. I look at G-Macs track record and he did a pretty good job with underrecruited big kids like Gruber, Coleman, Stout and another that escape me.

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
If it plays out like I think it will, Vette will be a mainly a role player, much like CJ. That's ok; the team needs players like that too.

You're right and I think some of us (me included) don't always look at it like that. We expect everyone we sign to be this future star, when in reality you need players like CJ, Vette, Damian Stapple, Stevie Johnson, Paul Shirley, etc.

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
81 Berkenpas (iowa, I believe?) Maple Valley; went 8-9 in his 1st game at Iowa then Lute tossed the reigns on him. he was never the same after.

82 Kraayenbrink (UNI) Paulina / Burback Dubuque Wahlert (ended career at ISU, I believe) Kraayenbrink was very good at UNI

83 Lumsden played in my conference at Linn-Mar; kinda chubby with a mullett but could really shoot. not a D1 prospect.

84 Lorenzen (the Vanilla Gorilla...iowa!) extremely highly rated in HS at CR Kennedy. was a contributer but definitely had a disappointing career at Iowa.

85 David Lute gave him a scholarship at Zona; role player there. As a Sr his Carroll Kuemper team beat Gaines, Terry Woods and co. for 3A state title.
86 Gaines stud; two-time WAC player of the year at Hawaii; Waterloo East teammate Terry Woods had a solid career at ISU.

87 Johnson (ISU) DM Lincoln; never overcame that handicap. played at ISU

88 Lookingbill Fort Dodge; edged out Troy "Atari Man" Skinner for Mr. Basketball. along w/ Les Jepsen was not one of Tom Davis' stellar recruiting classes. (honest to God, Iowa students called Skinner Atari man because he always dribbled w/ his right hand and shot just like the Atari basketball video game)

89 Bergman Waverly-Shell Rock; decent career at ISU off the bench

91 Hoiberg (ISU) Ames High aims high; star

92 Pothoven never heard of him (I graduated from ISU in 92 and left the state so my memory fades here)

93 Settles (iowa) some small school; 7 years of college down the drain; actually a quality player sans the injuries.

94 LaFrentz (KU) MFL-Monona; star

95 Spanich went to USC; I saw him nail a 3 to beat UCLA once, so that's respectable. don't know what HS

96 Wessel (did this kid go to Arizona?) did go to Zona; decent role player like Brian David a decade earlier; from CR?

97 Oliver (iowa) Mason City; quality B10 player

98 Newman Roosevelt; Northwestern/Drake; I was in grad school at NU at the time and saw a ton of his games; he started right out of the box; was 5-5 from 3 in the first half in an eventual OT lost to Knight and Indiana, then students started chanting "Daavviddd Newmmaan, Daavviddd Newmmaan", so he jacked up an off balance 3 from the corner and missed badly. Kevin O'Neil pulled him and cussed up a blue streak. The big post Evan Eshmeyer graduated after Newman's FR year and they cratered after that.

99 Hinrich (KU) / Collison (KU) Sioux City East? / Iowa Falls; damn Tim Floyd, damn Jerry Krause. big stars.

00 Worley (iowa) Iowa City West?; OK player, Hawk fans disappointed.

01 McKinney don't know HS; did he play at Nebraska?

02 Horner (iowa) Mason City; quality B10 player

03 McKowen (UNI) UNI; plays, but not an impact player. except 1 damn game against us this year.

04 Reed Carlton Reed? -- Waterloo East; not good at Iowa

05 Van Es don't know

06 Bohannon (Wisconsin) Cedar Rapids; good player. Is he Gordy Bohannon's son?
07 Vette (ISU...Iowa not Indiana State!) Waverly-Shell Rock; hopefully a big time star

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Can we just leave Vette alone? It seems like every couple of days someone questions his ability. Give him a couple of years before we judge him. Its my belief that he will be one of major contributors from this recruiting class.

JHudd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Plano, TX
96 Wessel (did this kid go to Arizona?) did go to Zona; decent role player like Brian David a decade earlier; from CR?

Yes, CR Prairie. The best school in CR might I add! He was a year older than me and a really good guy.

PsychedClone

Apr 11, 2006
Visit site
Can we just leave Vette alone? It seems like every couple of days someone questions his ability. Give him a couple of years before we judge him. Its my belief that he will be one of major contributors from this recruiting class.

Hmmmm..... Interesting comments. Let me see if I understand. Someone starts a thread titled "The impact of Vette", and we can only opine if we think he will be a major contributor. Otherwise, we should just keep a lid on our opinions.

I see nothing in any of the posts in this thread that portrays Vette in a negative or deragatory manner.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Bohannon is actually from Linn Marr which is right by Cedar Rapids i believe

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I don't think the Mr. Basketball label is all that important. What is important is that there have been a lot of seriously good Iowa kids over the years, not all of whom have won that award. Korver, Funk and Cochran come to mind, and I am sure there have been many more.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Hmmmm..... Interesting comments. Let me see if I understand. Someone starts a thread titled "The impact of Vette", and we can only opine if we think he will be a major contributor. Otherwise, we should just keep a lid on our opinions.

I see nothing in any of the posts in this thread that portrays Vette in a negative or deragatory manner.

I see what your saying but lately when people start talking about Vette it turns into an argument about Vette's abilities.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
I don't think the Mr. Basketball label is all that important. What is important is that there have been a lot of seriously good Iowa kids over the years, not all of whom have won that award. Korver, Funk and Cochran come to mind, and I am sure there have been many more.

It pains me to say this but Ricky Davis as well

Schroed

Apr 10, 2006
Played HS ball at Urbandale, and played college ball at Creighton.

I went to High School with McKinney and graduated with his younger brother (who was insane anywhere from inside half court... no kidding).

Tyler was 2 time all state as a receiver in FOOTBALL. He would have been able to play receiver at a lot of places. Just wanted to play bball more.

Unbelievable athlete.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron