Dec 17, 2008
Ames

Don’t worry everybody

oVpylL.gif

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
That's good info. I remember after Basabe's freshman year, there was talk on Hawk sites about him leaving after his sophomore year for the NBA. And don't get me wrong, he started great. He just never got any better. By the time he was a senior a segment of their fans had completely turned on him.

Basabe is also a classic example of the many roster mismanagements by Fran. He had a ton of potential but Fran is just so damn inconsistent with usage.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
If I'm a Hawk fan I would pump the breaks on Murray. He was a nice boost of energy coming off the bench but he was also surrounded by a bunch of scorers. His life is gong to get a lot harder next season when teams key in on him more. He kind of reminds me of Aaron White. Bursts onto the scene but then just kind of fades into the background.
I'm with you on this. Murray and Frederick both seem in for a dose of reality when all of a sudden they are the "men on the team" and not the after thoughts. Can they become the guys on this team? Iowa's success depends on it, I certainly don't see it coming from anywhere else. Maybe Patty can provide 10 and 6 on a regular basis.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
That's good info. I remember after Basabe's freshman year, there was talk on Hawk sites about him leaving after his sophomore year for the NBA. And don't get me wrong, he started great. He just never got any better. By the time he was a senior a segment of their fans had completely turned on him.
I don't think Pemsl belongs in this conversation necessarily, but he also stood out as a FR and was never the same player after that.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Clemmons doubled his points but he also played double the minutes. His 3 pt percentage fell off a cliff too. Also, he shot 60% his senior year from the FT which is horrible for a guard. He was a very "meh" player imo.
"Clemmons was good as a senior" (not even HM All Conference)

Also

"The best shooter and passer ever at Iowa better not come back an extra year"

• Winner
Reactions: chadly82

Nate STANley

Feb 4, 2021
Clemmons doubled his points but he also played double the minutes. His 3 pt percentage fell off a cliff too. Also, he shot 60% his senior year from the FT which is horrible for a guard. He was a very "meh" player imo.
He was a good defender I thought. Despite his 3pt pct his FG pct was quite a bit better and he was a good passer. He was a nice piece next to Gesell.

Nate STANley

Feb 4, 2021
"Clemmons was good as a senior" (not even HM All Conference)

Also

"The best shooter and passer ever at Iowa better not come back an extra year"
“pretty good”. Didn’t say he was good for the conference, was saying he was pretty good for Iowa’s team. Taking my words out of context lol

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Also, Hoks are the champions of polishing turds. They used to talk up Clemons and tout his defense and passing. The guy had really unimpressive assist numbers and used to get lit up by every shooting guard he played. They also love Connor (another turd) and tout his "toughness" and ability to feed the post. Same as they bragged about Flemings ability to feed the post.

And remember Woody? The guy could not block shots, rebound, and could barely dunk. Other centers ran circles around him. Yet Hoks polished that turd as well by saying he was a great "positional" defender.

They try really hard to find one positive about a player and then overvalue that one aspect of their game. Can't wait for next year to hear about how fast Low-T can play (turd), Connor's post feeding (turd), or some guy who can dribble with his left hand better than anyone.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Also, Hoks are the champions of polishing turds. They used to talk up Clemons and tout his defense and passing. The guy had really unimpressive assist numbers and used to get lit up by every shooting guard he played. They also love Connor (another turd) and tout his "toughness" and ability to feed the post. Same as they bragged about Flemings ability to feed the post.

And remember Woody? The guy could not block shots, rebound, and could barely dunk. Other centers ran circles around him. Yet Hoks polished that turd as well by saying he was a great "positional" defender.

They try really hard to find one positive about a player and then overvalue that one aspect of their game. Can't wait for next year to hear about how fast Low-T can play (turd), Connor's post feeding (turd), or some guy who can dribble with his left hand better than anyone.

Garza really did Iowa a disservice. He worked his ass off and made himself a legitimate player DESPITE being at Iowa and playing for Fran. It happens just often enough that hoks think it's the norm but it's not. Back to the wasteland they go. Now it will be exacerbated by Connor and Patrick taking up spots that Fran could lucky again with.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloner29 and GTO

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
So 2, maybe 3 have improved with Fran's coaching in 10+ years?

Hopefully, Garza can make it to the next level and you can start to watch some NBA games next year.
I assume a NBA team will take Garza late in the 2nd round and will then stash him in Europe.