The fix is in...

LAClone

Apr 26, 2010
This is more than just the one disputed TD catch in one OSU game based on two or three hyper-slowed hyper-zoomed video frames. This is a consistent pattern of questionable calls on the field almost always going against Iowa State, and instant reply almost never favoring Iowa State. That's really the discussion we should be having.

andybernard

Oct 22, 2009
This is more than just the one disputed TD catch in one OSU game based on two or three hyper-slowed hyper-zoomed video frames. This is a consistent pattern of questionable calls on the field almost always going against Iowa State, and instant reply almost never favoring Iowa State. That's really the discussion we should be having.

If you take your blinders off, you don't need a "hyper-slowed hyper-zoomed video frame" to see that it hit the ground and slid in him arms.

I'll agree on so many other calls, but this is not the one that we should be upset about.

LAClone

Apr 26, 2010
Yes you do. Otherwise, the announcers wouldn't have been in agreement immediately after the play and while watching the replay footage that the touchdown should stand. It took 30 minutes of hunting, zooming, and freeze framing to find one or two frames that make it look likely that the catch wasn't complete -- but that's not the standard. I don't find those frames eliminating "any and all doubt" (and I'm not going to just assume that the reply officials were looking at those two frozen frames from that one magic angle).

Regardless, even if the refs were right on this one -- even if they saw these two frames from this one angle that have convinced some of you that we didn't get screwed here -- we've had a number of situations in the past few years where the roles are reversed, and the ruling on the field stands.

The refs are using a standard with respect to ISU football that differs from the standard required in the rulebook and used in other Big 12 games. That's my point, and the point that a lot of other posters are trying to make. I'm not sure why we can't unite on this one, given the historical evidence.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bottom line, catch or no catch, ruling on the field stands there for most other teams in the conference.

andybernard

Oct 22, 2009
Yes you do. Otherwise, the announcers wouldn't have been in agreement immediately after the play and while watching the replay footage that the touchdown should stand. It took 30 minutes of hunting, zooming, and freeze framing to find one or two frames that make it look likely that the catch wasn't complete -- but that's not the standard. I don't find those frames eliminating "any and all doubt" (and I'm not going to just assume that the reply officials were looking at those two frozen frames from that one magic angle).

Regardless, even if the refs were right on this one -- even if they saw these two frames from this one angle that have convinced some of you that we didn't get screwed here -- we've had a number of situations in the past few years where the roles are reversed, and the ruling on the field stands.

The refs are using a standard with respect to ISU football that differs from the standard required in the rulebook and used in other Big 12 games. That's my point, and the point that a lot of other posters are trying to make. I'm not sure why we can't unite on this one, given the historical evidence.

I agree that we get screwed on a pretty regular basis. I've gotten to the point where I just assume any review is going against us.

But in THIS INSTANCE, which is literally the only play that MiniClone and I are arguing, the correct call was to overturn it into an incomplete pass. I saw it during the first set of replays, I turned to my friend that I was watching the game with, and pointed it out to him. We both agreed that it was going to be overturned.

andybernard

Oct 22, 2009
And just because the announcers didn't see it right away, doesn't mean they spent the next 30 minutes searching for an angle. In fact, it's ridiculous to assume they cared about that play at all to keep looking at it.

A more likely scenario...a crew member probably saw the angle that showed it right away, but heard the announcers saying it was the wrong call. Probably brought it up to the broadcast team, they decided to blow it up and show it to admit to their mistake.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I agree that we get screwed on a pretty regular basis. I've gotten to the point where I just assume any review is going against us.

But in THIS INSTANCE, which is literally the only play that MiniClone and I are arguing, the correct call was to overturn it into an incomplete pass. I saw it during the first set of replays, I turned to my friend that I was watching the game with, and pointed it out to him. We both agreed that it was going to be overturned.
The point that you are failing to understand is that even if we assume that it ends up being the correct call, there is no way that you can argue that it should have been overturned.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
And just because the announcers didn't see it right away, doesn't mean they spent the next 30 minutes searching for an angle. In fact, it's ridiculous to assume they cared about that play at all to keep looking at it.

A more likely scenario...a crew member probably saw the angle that showed it right away, but heard the announcers saying it was the wrong call. Probably brought it up to the broadcast team, they decided to blow it up and show it to admit to their mistake.
That isn't how it works. If they saw it right away they would have notified the announcer when it was happening.

andybernard

Oct 22, 2009
The point that you are failing to understand is that even if we assume that it ends up being the correct call, there is no way that you can argue that it should have been overturned.

Other than the fact that the one angle clearly showed the ball hit the ground and slid up his arm before he controlled it with the other. But besides that, sure.

andybernard

Oct 22, 2009
That isn't how it works. If they saw it right away they would have notified the announcer when it was happening.

We both have no idea what happened. But...

Fact: The ball hit the ground.
Fact: The ball slid in his hands.
Fact: The announcers originally said it should be confirmed a TD.
Fact: They later admitted that they were wrong and that it was incomplete.

D UP Clones

Oct 25, 2006

We both have no idea what happened. But...

Fact: The ball hit the ground.
Fact: The ball slid in his hands.
Fact: The announcers originally said it should be confirmed a TD.
Fact: They later admitted that they were wrong and that it was incomplete.

Fact: the play was ruled a touchdown on the field
Fact: everyone after seeing replays said it was a catch
Fact: after several minutes of reviewing a play everyone thought was a catch they overturn it.
Fact: had to be indisputable to overturn. No still frame as they don't show movement.
Fact: isu fans go nuts on social media
Fact: a still frame is somehow presented 30 minutes later that supposedly shows the tip touching. No movement of course. It's a still frame.
Fact: announcers change their tune as they did on the rest of the calls the rest of the game. See terrible spots not mentioned. See push offs and how each is describe.
Fact: there is all kinds of indisputable evidence the officials spotted the ball intentionally short and wrong to hurt isu.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I saw the replay right away and thought it would be incomplete. You could see it from the first replays. Just because the announcers couldn't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

No, you didn't. You saw that it was going to replay and adjusted your nut cup. Now you will go to any length possible to pretend that, in fact, you weren't caught adjusting your nut cup.

LAClone

Apr 26, 2010
Anyone who's been watching ISU football over the past few years upon hearing the play was under review should have realized we were playing a #8 OSU and immediately started adjusting their nutcup.

andybernard

Oct 22, 2009
Fact: the play was ruled a touchdown on the field
Fact: everyone after seeing replays said it was a catch
Fact: after several minutes of reviewing a play everyone thought was a catch they overturn it.
Fact: had to be indisputable to overturn. No still frame as they don't show movement.
Fact: isu fans go nuts on social media
Fact: a still frame is somehow presented 30 minutes later that supposedly shows the tip touching. No movement of course. It's a still frame.
Fact: announcers change their tune as they did on the rest of the calls the rest of the game. See terrible spots not mentioned. See push offs and how each is describe.
Fact: there is all kinds of indisputable evidence the officials spotted the ball intentionally short and wrong to hurt isu.

Not everyone.

Not everyone.

Not supposedly. - Not that the still frame should count for anything anyways, just helps those that are still in denial.

There IS indisputable evidence on the replay that starts at 27:03. If you refuse to see it, then we are going to have to agree to disagree.

[video=youtube;6BEsPScymi4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BEsPScymi4[/video]

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
Let me play a game against you several times. Each game I will get several small advantages and you will get several small advantages. Occasionally I will flat out cheat just to make sure I keep my advantage. When you lose you can just tell yourself how you should have done better to beat me because I was obviously the better player since I won. Sound fair?

No one is saying that Iowa State has no chance to win because of the calls against them. They just become an extra burden to overcome that they shouldn't have to face. There comes a point in time where you have to put your foot down and demand a fair playing field.

When Iowa State has a chance to beat a great team but they have to fight an additional team on the field playing against them (the officials) it takes some enjoyment out of the game. I'm sick of watching it and I'm sick of people accepting it.

So now it's a conspiracy theory to keep us from winning. Gotcha. They did such a good job of making us lose that we had the ball TWICE with a chance to take a late lead. What did we do with those opportunities: nothing. So in this game we are going to play several times where you have advantages over me, if I have a chance to win the game late I like my chances because I won't be focused on what didn't go my way earlier-I'm going to be focused on doing what j have to for the win. Again-life will hit with adversity. How does one respond when it hits usually determines a winner from a loser.

Calling ryens play a td would have been a tie game anyways and nothing was guaranteed we'd win in overtime.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron