The Cyclone Slant: QB Controversey?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I agree with your choice of terminology. It's a competition, not a controversy.

I'm comfortable that the staff will put the best man in there next fall. I'm also more comfortable with the situation now that Jantz has been signed. Tiller has shown me enough that I feel confident that he will be serviceable at QB next year if he's the man. I don't think he's shown enough to know for sure that he'll be better than that. We'll see.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I have seen nothing from Tiller to make me think he's even serviceable. Hes a football player, but he's not a QB past the HS level.

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
I don't think our staff will kiss anybody's ***. I trust in this staff to put out the best QB. Thats what i like about our staff. There is no *** kissing and they will do everything possible to win. If that means Tiller has improved and wins the job. More power to him. If he doesn't win the job, then thats great too.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
I have seen nothing from Tiller to make me think he's even serviceable. Hes a football player, but he's not a QB past the HS level.

By my definition, serviceable= he probably won't win you games that you would normally lose, and he won't lose you games that you would normally win.

Anyway, I'm hoping that he (and other players) use the off season to make big strides in their understanding of the offense, and in their execution.

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
Depends on your definition of 'serviceable', but I agree with the general tone of your post. Tiller is a good backup QB in that you can put him out there and feel fairly confident that he's not going to lose the game for you. That said, to this point in his career, he's also shown that he won't win a game for you. That doesn't mean he can't improve, but you can see why the staff wanted to bring in another 'experienced' QB to push the competition. Personally, I think they're hoping one of the young guys can win the job, and that Jatz can be a quality fall-back if a guy like Barnett can't take it by the horns.

As I was writing my latest blog post, I was thinking about Tiller and I recalled a lot of the criticism that was directed at AA this past season. I then tried to think of something that Tiller clearly does better than AA, and drew a blank. If I sat down and watched a bunch of game tape, I could probably come up with something. But as I stated on my blog, Tiller has a lot of work in front of him to simply become as good, let alone better, than our outgoing QB.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
We could get by with Tiller if we had one of the best rushing offenses and one of the top defenses in the nation.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
You don't bring in a JUCO if you're completely sold on the options at hand, simple as that. I really only think there's three real competitors for the job as of right now - Jantz, Tiller and Capello, with Barnett having an outside shot. I think Barnett's injury really held him back last year, and, remember, he was functioning as the scout team QB this fall rather than getting any reps at all with the first and second team offense. I know Jantz hasn't either, but it puts him behind the learning curve of Tiller and Capello, and we all remember Arnaud discussing how the offense was a bit complicated.

For the offense to take the next step next year, improvement is probably needed at the WR position more than anything else. We desperately need a playmaker to step up and take a little pressure off of the QB and the running game. I don't doubt Shontrelle will be fine as the starter next fall, but we need a guy like Jarvis West or someone with some pure speed that can go in motion, stretching the field horizontally while other guys stretch the field vertically.

With the spread commitment to the zone read, I like what I've heard as far as Jantz running the zone read. I don't see us abandoning that. It's also why I think Capello will get reps - he's quicker than Tiller.

It should be a very interesting battle.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Heres how I see it shaking out. Jantz roughly 40% chance of starting. Capello 25%, Barnett 25%, and Tiller 10%

Now I could also see Tiller being our #2 still if Jantz wins the starting job because they could want an experienced backup still. If it were me though, I think we have to get him in the field at another position... hes too talented to not get playing time somewhere.

I'm also in agreement that they wouldn't have brought in a Juco QB if they had no doubt Tiller could win the job. Not to say he can't, but I'm thinking they are thinking hes a long shot to win it even though he will more than likely enter spring ball with the job.

I believe Sam Richardson is our best QB on the roster(assuming he signs), but I think he could be even better if he redshirts to continue working on his game and learning the system first. That is also the part of me that would like to see Tiller or Jantz win, the faster our starting QB graduates the faster Rich gets on the field.

All in all I feel like this is going to be a great competition, I am comfortable with three of those four starting, and the fourth one I believe has more "upside" than the last few QB's we've had starting for us.

Go Cyclones!

bpmcclain

Nov 17, 2010
Ames
Ill probably get hell from the Tiller fans for this but Id like to see him get moved to WR; he is certainly athletic enough. And who knows, maybe he can actually catch the ball unlike some of our returning WR's

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
Ill probably get hell from the Tiller fans for this but Id like to see him get moved to WR; he is certainly athletic enough. And who knows, maybe he can actually catch the ball unlike some of our returning WR's

As much as I'd like to see him do that, Jantz would have to be all that he's advertised to be, and at least one of the others would have to be fantastic.

sogocat

Nov 15, 2009
If Jantz clearly wins the QB battle this spring, which of the others could and would switch positions??

hawkeyeh8r

Jun 10, 2010
Ames
if tiller doesnt get the starting job does he transfer like bates did so he can be a starter somewhere? maybe toledo or some other **** MAC school

DesertClone1

DesertClone
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 6, 2009
Queen Creek, AZ
if tiller doesnt get the starting job does he transfer like bates did so he can be a starter somewhere? maybe toledo or some other **** MAC school

lets hope not... he's too athletic to not be on the field. i would love to see him at the wideout. I think he has the capability of running the deep routes and he's relatively fast so hopefully CPR will find a place for Tiller if he isn't the starting QB

bigmark

Apr 21, 2009
Ames, iowa
Here's a new piece that I'm going to start trying here at CF. I hope you enjoy it.

Chris Williams' Iowa State Cyclone Slant: QB controversy? | Cyclone Fanatic
Tiller will be starter, Jantz will be back up...took AA 2 yrs to learn Hermans O"....Capello and Barnett are not even close to being ready....you do not bring in a Juco if u think Capello or Barnett are ready or even capable, nor do they have confident in the 2 commit QB, which for sure one will drop off with another Qb in the picture... This is not Auburn where you pay a QB and he is all that....

They needed to get some Juco Recievers who are not scared to run across and catch the ball!!! They played like HS players in the MO Game..finish your damn route...they played like that all year long, scared!!!!!

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
Tiller will be starter, Jantz will be back up...took AA 2 yrs to learn Hermans O"....Capello and Barnett are not even close to being ready....you do not bring in a Juco if u think Capello or Barnett are ready or even capable, nor do they have confident in the 2 commit QB, which for sure one will drop off with another Qb in the picture... This is not Auburn where you pay a QB and he is all that....

They needed to get some Juco Recievers who are not scared to run across and catch the ball!!! They played like HS players in the MO Game..finish your damn route...they played like that all year long, scared!!!!!

I would be scared to when I have a QB (Arnaud) who was incapable of throwing an accurate pass. It was either too high, low, or behind a receiver. Than you have a back up who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
lets hope not... he's too athletic to not be on the field. i would love to see him at the wideout. I think he has the capability of running the deep routes and he's relatively fast so hopefully CPR will find a place for Tiller if he isn't the starting QB

He could be our very own Marvin McNutt.

FootballinTexas

Aug 2, 2009
I thought I'd point out this column by the Ames Tribune's Bobby La Gesse. We somewhat agree on this topic. But La Gesse states that Jantz will likely be the "odds on favorite" at QB next spring. Check it out.

Go Cyclones - Column: How Jantz changes the ISU QB situation

I'm not sure why anyone would be a favorite. None of the QB's have proven he can win in the Big 12. That's why we are having this conversation. As for Jantz, I have said this before and will say it again.... All of you can annoint him as the guy because he played Juco and has a cool name, but I watched his highlight video and it looked like high school football here in Texas. The speed of the game was slow for college football. That's where he'll have the most trouble in competing with Tiller, Barnett, and Capello. Those guys have worked and competed with D-1 football players, Jantz has not. Even when he had am opportunity to do that at Hawaii, he felt the need to transfer. I'm calling it the way I see it. He is not a favorite, Tiller is the front runner because of experience and Barnett is next because of the number of reps he took in scout and his weekly scrimmages. Capello is behind because he did not get weekly reps because Austen and Tiller got them. I'm sure that't why he didn't get to play in mop-up duty. Jantz still has an offense to learn in a short period of time. That's difficult since no offensive coordinator has the same terminology, reads, passing tree, checks, hot reads,
etc. He is behind all of our current QB's for that matter.

Reactions: cycloneG

Bigguns

Sep 22, 2008
I don't think that bringing in a Juco QB is a sign of the staff not being confident in any position. If a top 3 (or 5 for that matter) Juco player at any position fit our system and was interested in ISU we would be foolish not to go get that player. It doesn't mean the staff doesn't trust anyone it means they are trying to get the best players available somewhat regardless of need. We shouldn't pass on a top QB to offer a D-lineman that doesn't fit or isn't worthy of a scholarship.

And Xbox AA was more accomplished than Seneca Wallace. He was the most accurate passer in ISU history and as biased as I am for AA you seem to be against him(maybe he did something to wrong you in some way)

Last edited: