The Big Ten Cashes In

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
We see a lot of projected numbers. I'm guessing its gonna be more in the mid-high 40's once the real numbers come in.

mikesright

Sep 3, 2012
No, those will almost certainly be the floor for where they come in. These schools generate these based on worst case estimates.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Holy crap. That's an increase of almost $15 mil per school in one year...

"The new television football/basketball agreements boosts the Big Ten conference revenue disbursements to $51.1 million, up from $36.3 million in 2017. The Big Ten took the unusual step of using multiple television partners in this deal, with the ESPN/ABC group taking some of the football slate and Fox taking a portion."

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...iversity-michigan-athletics-budget/401101001/

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
No, those will almost certainly be the floor for where they come in. These schools generate these based on worst case estimates.

I guess time will tell. Even the SEC's "projections" from last year came in lower when the real numbers came out.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Time will tell when the bottom is going to drop out. It will eventually.

No different than society as a whole right now. The "have's" keep getting more and more while the "have not's" keep losing out. Sports is certainly no different. Kinda sad really.

Would it ever get to the point where people just stay home and watch on TV because it's too expensive to go?? That would be strange to see nearly empty stadiums, but schools still raking it in because of the TV deals.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneCJ

mikesright

Sep 3, 2012
I guess time will tell. Even the SEC's "projections" from last year came in lower when the real numbers came out.
Schools and conferences are different. Conferences are a little bit more aggressive since there is a marketing advantage there and don't answer to much regulation. Schools/Athletic Depts have to answer to Regents. I know Iowa projected $45 million for 2018 for revenue distribution but that was about a year ago before all the contracts were signed.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
My guess is that if there is any basis to what you're saying, those projections were not from a Board of Regents report. My guess is B10 numbers will be at least this and continue to increase in the following couple years.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
Schools and conferences are different. Conferences are a little bit more aggressive since there is a marketing advantage there and don't answer to much regulation. Schools/Athletic Depts have to answer to Regents. I know Iowa projected $45 million for 2018 for revenue distribution but that was about a year ago before all the contracts were signed.
The last B10 negotiations led to huge increases. Maybe the 45 was determined prior to those negotiations.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Someday
original.gif

oldwiseman

Oct 10, 2009
What is more ridiculous to me is the fact that with all that revenue, they only predict a $2M surplus. What the heck? Talk about wasteful spending.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
What is more ridiculous to me is the fact that with all that revenue, they only predict a $2M surplus. What the heck? Talk about wasteful spending.

Those bagmen don't pay themselves, you know!

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Time will tell when the bottom is going to drop out. It will eventually.

No different than society as a whole right now. The "have's" keep getting more and more while the "have not's" keep losing out. Sports is certainly no different. Kinda sad really.

Would it ever get to the point where people just stay home and watch on TV because it's too expensive to go?? That would be strange to see nearly empty stadiums, but schools still raking it in because of the TV deals.

It's already happening with a lot of conferences and teams, the Midwest schools are lucky with their attendance numbers for FB and BB. Just watch the games as the season goes on they might have sold seats but lots of attendance issues as the season goes on. ISU fans are extremely loyal for the product we have put on the field. Even when we sucked at BB are attendance was respectable around 10,000 if I remember right. I think this year there may be a dip in BB attendance if they don't get off to a good start. I think the season ticket numbers will be strong, but single game attendance will drop if we are around the .500 mark IMO.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron