The Big 12 AD meeting Thursday night

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Of the former Big 12 members, Missou, CO, Neb, A&M, which one was most culpable or guity to the problems or disunity?

From my mostly uninformed viewpoint I would say Neb. Others could specify the reasons and what happened with the other schools. I would like to hear that again.

On the other hand, would ISU behave in a completely altruistic manner if we had a chance to maybe better ourselves? Would we not look out for our own interests also? So there is that.

So what happened with Missou, CO, A&M, Neb and their leaving? What were their sins? Would we have been different in their shoes?
Mizzou started it by begging for the big ten spot. Nebraska then was chosen over them.

• Informative
Reactions: t-noah

CyclonesForever

Nov 5, 2011
Ames, IA
I think Iowa State needs to try and align with Kansas. Approach the Big Ten and recommend themselves and the other school for consideration. I mean, I guess the Big Ten could try and raid the PAC-12, such as Colorado, but if they're looking at teams in the ACC, they're not getting any of them for a minimum of 15 years, if ever.

QCCyclone

Feb 10, 2013
I have belonged to the Texas Premium site Inside 40 Acres for about 18 years. The Texas fans don't understand how to perceive college football. For example, playing TCU doesn't get Texas fans excited. Playing Tennessee would send them to the moon in excitement. The problems is Tennessee fking sucks at football and TCU is very competent at football. TCU is the better game to watch, the better team. But Tennessee has that big stadium and SEC affiliation. So for years Texas have been ******** they play in a **** league with Okie State, Iowa State, TCU, Baylor, etc... Never mind that most of the Big 12 is pretty decent to good at football. They would rather play a brand that is not good at football than another school that may not be a brand, but good at football. For example, playing a top 10 Iowa State team would not get Texas fans as excited as playing South Carolina or Arkansas. It's just football ignorance. Texas fans seemed extremely happy in the old Big 12, they really were. When they lost NU, and Texas A and M, and to a lessor extent CU, and at the time top 10 Mizzou, they lost enthusiasm for the league and have been trashing it as a **** league every since. Texas A and M leaving for the SEC and getting to play brand names has made the Texas fans very very jealous, and this just amplified those negative feelings about the Big 12.
I mean, I'd also rather play Tennessee than TCU.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
For all the concern about the PAC12 and late night games, I'm not sure that aspect would be too bad. If they add 4 teams and let's say those were the 4 Big8 schools (ISU, KU, KSU, OSU). Then you'd have a division with those, AZ, ASU, Utah, and Colorado. With a 16 team conference, you're not playing many games outside your conference so that's not too bad of a road schedule.

If course money is still a problem with the PAC, but maybe there's a contract negotiation somewhere to help. There's still a lot of TV spots to fill and the SEC can't fill them all.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
For all the concern about the PAC12 and late night games, I'm not sure that aspect would be too bad. If they add 4 teams and let's say those were the 4 Big8 schools (ISU, KU, KSU, OSU). Then you'd have a division with those, AZ, ASU, Utah, and Colorado. With a 16 team conference, you're not playing many games outside your conference so that's not too bad of a road schedule.

If course money is still a problem with the PAC, but maybe there's a contract negotiation somewhere to help. There's still a lot of TV spots to fill and the SEC can't fill them all.
I don’t think we are going to have a lot of leverage to play in contract negotiations. I mean, in that scenario, we will be lucky that we even have a seat at that table.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I don’t think we are going to have a lot of leverage to play in contract negotiations. I mean, in that scenario, we will be lucky that we even have a seat at that table.

Absolutely. But the PAC needs earlier games. If they can have an East division with all central and mountain time zones, that gets them into earlier timeslots for a TV deal. Outside of the Big10 pipedream, this is the best outcome for ISU. And the occasional road trip to Colorado and Utah wouldn't be bad at all.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
All with "horns down" emphatically!!

And if that gets us a penalty the next game, so be it. Would it?

As written the answer should be no because it comes from the fans. The taunting rule is supposed to be player to player.

I'm going to miss OU, original member of the Big 8, our FB record against them is terrible but we've had some dandy MBB games against them through the yrs. Texas can die as far as I'm concerned, their fan base at least on the internet is as entitled as can be though their actions on the field haven't been good for over a decade. The cartoon upthread showing Tx as the grim reaper of conferences is pretty darn accurate IMO.

Reactions: t-noah

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Absolutely. But the PAC needs earlier games. If they can have an East division with all central and mountain time zones, that gets them into earlier timeslots for a TV deal. Outside of the Big10 pipedream, this is the best outcome for ISU. And the occasional road trip to Colorado and Utah wouldn't be bad at all.
That makes sense. But I am not a fan at all of those late night road games. That will be terrible. I still question how much us hosting a UCLA or a Stanford in Ames earlier than they would normally play will move that needle much but your right, it’s something to think about.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
If I was Pollard I'd give the notice (12 hours?) that we are exploring other options. Get the ball rolling, this conference is done. Thanks ou and Texas. you greedy, selfish, fuks!

Yeah...Pollard won't do that unless he's absolutely certain we've got a spot elsewhere

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Just have to make ourselves stick together with KU. Hopefully being the higher ranked AAU schools can facilitate that.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Exactly.

So I'm not sure how people are so sure that there will be a new Big 12 vs. ISU joining an already established conference.

I think a new Big12 is about 3rd on the list of best for ISU.

#1 - Big10 invite 5% chance of happening
#2 - PAC invite 20% of happening
#3 - Big12 raids AAC / BYU 70% of happening
#4 - Meltdown - KU & ND to Big10, OSU & Tech to PAC, Baylor & TCU to AAC, ISU & KSU to MWC 5% of happening

Reactions: madguy30

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron