The Big 12 AD meeting Thursday night

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I think this idea that the pac and big are suddenly going to start handing out invites to be a bit of a fallacy. Nothing left moves the needle for them.

Fear might.

Fear the SEC poaches Oregon/USC or Ohio St/Penn St. Better become "super" yourself or you end up like the Big12 remnants.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
The future is all about streaming, not cable subscriptions, and ISU will do better in this area than several of their current members (including their newest members - Rutgers and Maryland). IF the Big 10 wants to get to 16 teams, there aren't other schools (who aren't already locked into a P5 conference) that check the Big 10's boxes as well as ISU does.
Streaming content is a good point. I can buy this as a big pro.

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
The future is all about streaming, not cable subscriptions, and ISU will do better in this area than several of their current members (including their newest members - Rutgers and Maryland). IF the Big 10 wants to get to 16 teams, there aren't other schools (who aren't already locked into a P5 conference) that check the Big 10's boxes as well as ISU does.
As much as nebr will gloat about the B10, they aren't 100% happy. I think they would totally support ISU and ku in the B10. If the B10 wanted to expand to counter the Sec.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
We provide content. I think people underestimate how important more content is especially if college football is moving away from the NCAA and non conference games go away or are reduced.
Content has to include the opportunity to make money. When you have a small fanbase like Iowa State does that's not a lot of eyeballs. If that content doesn't bring enough value it hurts the existing members and they're not going to do anything.
Nothing says they have to do anything. If they think they can "answer" the SEC by adding anyone currently available they're going to be sadly mistaken. OU and TX are big fish. There aren't other big fish. They could actually hurt their position by pulling additional teams in. More money yes but more mouths to feed.

Rutgers and Maryland were about getting BTN on the local cable package. They're already on the local cable package in Iowa.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I think williams reported this caught everyone off guard.

Yup, in his article, I think Wednesday, he said that at Big 12 media days, no one was talking about this, not even rumor among those in attendance.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Content has to include the opportunity to make money. When you have a small fanbase like Iowa State does that's not a lot of eyeballs. If that content doesn't bring enough value it hurts the existing members and they're not going to do anything.

Nothing says they have to do anything. If they think they can "answer" the SEC by adding anyone currently available they're going to be sadly mistaken. OU and TX are big fish. There aren't other big fish. They could actually hurt their position by pulling additional teams in. More money yes but more mouths to feed.

Rutgers and Maryland were about getting BTN on the local cable package. They're already on the local cable package in Iowa.

ISU doesn’t play themselves every week. Content is content. It produces ad revenue. There are even commercials on during a Siena vs UNC Greensboro basketball game on ESPN + and sponsorships of the games.

• Agree
Reactions: JCity

Inthesystem

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 12, 2009
I think williams reported this caught everyone off guard.
i’m not disputing that this particular story at this momentcaught everyone off guard. I stand by the statement that Big 12 ADs were not surprised that Texas and Oklahoma were looking for greener pastures and have game-planned to some extent.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Obviously the B1G would be the very best option for ISU.... in fact it would be a gigantic step up from where we are even now. So that is the dream scenario right now, not even a question.

The next best option IMO, is to join the PAC 12. I know there are people out there that poo poo that idea, but the money isn't much of a drop from where we are now, and the schools/teams would be WAY, WAY better than anything the Big 12 could throw together. I don't know about any of you, but I'd be thrilled to see USC, Oregon, Washington, UCLA, and even Colorado playing in Jack Trice Stadium. That would be sweet.

And I surely wouldn't mind taking a road trip to Boulder now and then. And we'd still have several of the same Big 12 teams we've been playing against forever too. I don't see how the PAC is so terrible if we don't land in the B1G? It surely beats a revamped Big 12 with Cincy, Houston, etc.... which don't do anything for me. I'd rather play USC and Oregon in the Jack than Cincy or Houston.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I think they would totally support ISU and ku in the B10.
What logic dictates this? Admitting more schools costs the existing schools money.

Let's say they're at $500M per year currently for the 14 teams to split. $36M each.
They add 2 teams and they renegotiate to $550M. $34M each.

They aren't expanding to cost their members money. If the schools available were worth having the Big 12 would've been gone the last time this happened.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
What logic dictates this? Admitting more schools costs the existing schools money.

Let's say they're at $500M per year currently for the 14 teams to split. $36M each.

They aren't expanding to cost their members money. If the schools available were worth having the Big 12 would've been gone the last time this happened.

What if the renegotiation is 600 million? You just threw out a totally random number that worked for you.

Thorongil Clone

Gone to Numenor
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2021

This assumes that the respective teams were worth similar amounts then as now and that the same market forces were in play. I'm not sure those assumptions hold out. But we shall see--much has changed since 2011.

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE

That's why I said IF the B10 would expand to counter the Sec. It's an arms race and they might feel the need keep up with Sec. What if with 16 teams the sec can really max out contracts with ESPN/streaming because of how they set it up.
B10 may look at that and my example is we might have an ally in nebr because they miss the rivals and shorter travel between schools.