That's Why You Foul

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
Alabama/Tennessee today......Alabama leads by 3...a few seconds left.....Tennessee ball......Alabama chooses not to foul at all.....Tennessee misses 3....'Bama wins.

It's 50/50 people. You take a chance. Sometimes you win.....sometimes you lose.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
CFH called his old coach Tim Floyd and Tim said he would have FOULED in that situation...

Poor Fred even his old coach agrees with me and not Fred...lol

You must be one of those that CFH was speaking of that have never picked up a basketball in your life.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Alabama/Tennessee today......Alabama leads by 3...a few seconds left.....Tennessee ball......Alabama chooses not to foul at all.....Tennessee misses 3....'Bama wins.

It's 50/50 people. You take a chance. Sometimes you win.....sometimes you lose.

But we don't see enough coaches use the fouling strategy to get a clear picture on which "chance" is better to take, that's the problem. They're set in their ways.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Vanderbilt got beat last night by not fouling at the end of the game while up 3 points:

Ole Miss Rebels vs. Vanderbilt Commodores - Recap - January 15, 2013 - ESPN

Theirs was almost more brutal than ours. Vandy hit a 3 with 3.2 seconds left to take the 3 point lead, then let Ole Miss inbound the ball and get all the way down the court for the desperation heave to send it to OT. Foul the Ole Miss player in the back court and they likely never have the chance to tie it.

Rick

Mar 18, 2007
Ankeny
I think the next person to put a post on here about fouling should follow it with their career win-loss record in coaching. It's hard to believe all these DI coaches coming on here helping out Fred instead of coaching their own teams.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
#19 VCU had this happen to them on Thursday night as well:

Virginia Commonwealth Rams vs. Richmond Spiders - Recap - January 24, 2013 - ESPN

At least their coach was willing to admit it was a mistake.

Rams coach Shaka Smart said he considered having his team foul to prevent the Spiders from hitting a tying shot, but with 12 seconds left and his team having missed two free throws already in the final 27 seconds, he played the percentages.

"Obviously, in retrospect, we should have fouled," he said.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
We lost because we fouled. Plain and simple. Gave them too many chances at the end of regulation to make something of that last 7.9 seconds.

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
Add Iowa State at Texas, February 13, 2013, to the list.

Some day our coaches will learn to foul in that situation. Some day.

I hope you're kidding. We fouled with 7 seconds left, which allowed them to have a 2nd possession only after we made a couple pressure filled 1-1 FTs. Texas didn't foul us up 3 at the end of the game and they won. If anything this game strengthens the case to not foul.

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
I swear to God, every person that complains about fouling needs to be hit with the ban hammer.

Did any of you watch the game? Catch and shoot. They were going for catch and shoot. If you foul in that situation, there is a VERY high chance you give them the 3 foul shots, or God forbid, a 4 point play. Not that it mattered in the end.

Cyclone1985

Nov 18, 2008
Grimes
We lost because we fouled. Plain and simple. Gave them too many chances at the end of regulation to make something of that last 7.9 seconds.
This. We lengthened the game and they made us pay in the end... that and Clyburn's stellar defense.

jberryma

Oct 5, 2006
I hope you're kidding. We fouled with 7 seconds left, which allowed them to have a 2nd possession only after we made a couple pressure filled 1-1 FTs. Texas didn't foul us up 3 at the end of the game and they won. If anything this game strengthens the case to not foul.

100% false and not true. When you foul with 7 seconds left, you sure as heck better foul with under 5 and the guy that catches the ball is inside the 3 point line. No excuse for not fouling when that got caught the ball looking away from the hoop. No chance at that point of ANYTHING bad happening.

CYclist

Mar 17, 2006

Actually, I'd say UT didn't get called for a foul at the end of the 2nd OT. I think Felix was attempting to foul, but the O's didn't give it to him. Go figure.

jberryma

Oct 5, 2006
I swear to God, every person that complains about fouling needs to be hit with the ban hammer.

Did any of you watch the game? Catch and shoot. They were going for catch and shoot. If you foul in that situation, there is a VERY high chance you give them the 3 foul shots, or God forbid, a 4 point play. Not that it mattered in the end.

Not correct. You foul the guy that caught the ball that was not facing the basket. 0% chance of anything bad happening.

Help Support Us

Become a patron