That's Why You Foul

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
Check out the Iowa game. Down 3, MSU fouls. Iowa makes first and gets rebound on the second then is fouled

They had more time left and Iowa went for a layup when they were fouled. Actually Izzo was good with not fouling. It was a foul on the shot. A little different senerio, but yes, it almost bit them in the Azz

D

DistrictCyclone

Check out the Iowa game. Down 3, MSU fouls. Iowa makes first and gets rebound on the second then is fouled

Too bad Iowa couldn't pull that off tonight; would have been a nice win for their little program.

Waterfall

May 30, 2012
Cedar Rapids
Karma. All I heard at work today is that CFH should have fouled last night. Exact same scenario tonight. MSU was up by three with 8.6 seconds left. Izzo let Iowa play after the FT but didn't foul. How could that be? So one of the best college coaches decide not to foul but CFH does?

I trust Izzo and I trust CFH!

Cyclone1985

Nov 18, 2008
Grimes
MSU should have fouled in that situation!!!!! Up 3 with under 5 seconds left!!!! C'Mon, what the hell is Izzo thinking??!?!

wait what, he missed the 3? nevermind then.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Guys, I'm not picking a side BUT:

There is a difference between Iowa and Kansas

There is a difference between a game-tying 3 to take a game into overtime in Carver than Allen Fieldhouse

There is a difference between playing an Iowa team in Carver in overtime compared to a Kansas team in overtime.

The whole foul situation depends on the team and the atmosphere.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Izzo didn't foul in the EXACT SAME situation. I think he knows what he's doing.

No. He's been dumbed down by Hoiberg.

Edit---Serious answer: With the ball in Clemmons' hands, either decision is the same. 55% free throw shooter who was clanking them, and not a good 3-point shooter.

Rough finish for Iowa. They will feel that they had that one, and they just about did.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
Later, MSU got fouled and made 2 free throws which gave them a 3 point lead with 9 seconds left. Iowa got the ball......Izzo chose not to foul....and Clemmons from Iowa missed the 3 point shot.

Plus, on the first foul....MSU had the three point lead....16 seconds left......and fouled the Iowa player on the drive. It was not an intentional foul at all....just in the course of play. Iowa made one of 2, got the rebound on the miss, and got fouled again.....and again only made one of two.....and MSU got the rebound this time.

So the first time when MSU fouled was really more similar to the situation CFH feared last night....if the Iowa player could have tapped the ball to the outside after the missed FT. The second time......Izzo chose not to foul and take a chance on the outside shot....which is what CFH did last night.

Funny stuff here...........

Bill Fennelly@ISUCoachFen Tom Izzo is a great coach and HALL OF FAMER! He does not foul at the end up 3! They win the game--So NOW what will the experts say??

Last edited:

IowaStateClones

Dec 7, 2009
deadhorsebeatdown.jpg

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa

Izzo didn't foul in the EXACT SAME situation. I think he knows what he's doing.

Nah.... because I have read here today that EVERY coach fouls up 3 less than 5 and if they don't they are not a good coach.

Duke Vitale told me that.

Karma. All I heard at work today is that CFH should have fouled last night. Exact same scenario tonight. MSU was up by three with 8.6 seconds left. Izzo let Iowa play after the FT but didn't foul. How could that be? So one of the best college coaches decide not to foul but CFH does?

I trust Izzo and I trust CFH!

MSU should have fouled in that situation!!!!! Up 3 with under 5 seconds left!!!! C'Mon, what the hell is Izzo thinking??!?!

wait what, he missed the 3? nevermind then.
I think most reasonable here recognize that not every game should be handled the same in terms of this situation. With Zach McCabe being the biggest 3-point threat on the floor and the horrifying offensive style of game that was being played, I would absolutely have handled things the same way Izzo did.

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
Kirk Haaland tweeted this article earlier about a study that was done regarding this issue. The conclusion is that there is no large difference between the two strategies. There is merit to both ideas and to me, in last night's situation with Ben McLemore on the floor, we should have fouled plain and simple. I would much rather take my chances with a wild tipped ball situation with less than 5 seconds left than any chance of him getting the ball.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
HN is awesome right now. Whoever is trolling over there, you deserve rep.

Bobby45

Aug 15, 2012
CFH called his old coach Tim Floyd and Tim said he would have FOULED in that situation...

Poor Fred even his old coach agrees with me and not Fred...lol

Pitt_Clone

Nov 15, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
CFH called his old coach Tim Floyd and Tim said he would have FOULED in that situation...

Poor Fred even his old coach agrees with me and not Fred...lol
He called Johnny Orr and Johnny said he definitely wouldn't have fouled in that situation. Even his old coach agrees with him. Woo-eee!