That's Why You Foul

CyCy

Nov 7, 2006
From what I can tell, Fred not fouling at the end of the game last night has completely ruined the life of some people. I would suggest that those people find another outlet for their time other than ISU basketball, because I'm pretty sure Fred will do the exact same thing next time.

Cyclone1985

Nov 18, 2008
Grimes
Please tell me that you are not defending Paul Janssen. He is a corrupt official.

Babb's phantom foul of Ben Mac on the made 3 was as damaging as any call last night.
Thank you. Babb came from the side, so any sort of "foul" or contact with the hand or arm would have sent the shot flailing to the left....but instead, he drained it.

If Jansenn would have been the ref next to Mclemore when he shot game tying three, he would have called a foul on McGee for touching his hand too hard.

troutslayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 28, 2011
My biggest fear with fouling is that we would have fouled with 4-5 seconds remaining to make sure we didn't foul in the act of shooting. With that much time, he could have easily made both and then we would have had to get the ball in without turning it over (in a 1 pt game now) or they foul us with little or no time coming off the clock. We could have put KU in a position to HAVE the ball in a 1 pt game with 3-4 seconds left on the clock now shooting for a win instead of just a tie.
The outcome sucks. We all know that. Time to accept it and move on to UT.

I agree. If you're going to foul you need to do it fairly quickly so you're not fouling them in the act of shooting. That in turn leaves time on the clock and extends the game for KU, which is NOT what you want to do at Phog Allen. There are too many variables that come into play in this scenario.

KSUcat

Sep 27, 2009
I just can't believe how many people actually think that there is any chance in hell KU makes the first and then tips it back out for a 3. Compare how many times you've seen that happen vs. how many times you've seen a team come down and make a last-second 3-pointer. It's not even close.

I can somewhat buy the "make the first, tip in the second" argument although I still say that's a rare occurrence.

This. Many are saying there are too many variables. Yes there are many variables, but the variables are against KU, not ISU. All ISU has to do is call foul at mid court. They aren't ever going to call an intentional foul in that situation, it never happens. Then KU has to make one free throw, then miss the second so that it bounces perfectly into KU's favor so they can just get a chance to shoot the ball again. After that, KU then has to make a desperation shot with only a couple of seconds left or tip the ball in with 4 ISU defenders in Withey's face.

I was listening to 810 today and Kietzman was explaining the odds for both situations. KU had a 1 and 5 chance of winning if ISU doesn't foul. KU had a 1 and 20 chance of winning if ISU does foul. The choice seems so obvious to me. It surprises me that so many in this thread agree with Hoiberg's decision not to foul.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
This. Many are saying there are too many variables. Yes there are many variables, but the variables are against KU, not ISU. All ISU has to do is call foul at mid court. They aren't ever going to call an intentional foul in that situation, it never happens. Then KU has to make one free throw, then miss the second so that it bounces perfectly into KU's favor so they can just get a chance to shoot the ball again. After that, KU then has to make a desperation shot with only a couple of seconds left or tip the ball in with 4 ISU defenders in Withey's face.

I was listening to 810 today and Kietzman was explaining the odds for both situations. KU had a 1 and 5 chance of winning if ISU doesn't foul. KU had a 1 and 20 chance of winning if ISU does foul. The choice seems so obvious to me. It surprises me that so many in this thread agree with Hoiberg's decision not to foul.

See my post above. If we foul at midcourt like we would need to do to make sure he wasn't shooting, there would have been at least 5 seconds left on the clock. In that scenario they make both FTs instead of make one, miss one and try for the tip. We have the ball up by 1 needing to inbound it. All sorts of bad things could happen at this point. At best they foul us with 4 seconds or so still on the clock.

ISUME

Mar 13, 2012
See my post above. If we foul at midcourt like we would need to do to make sure he wasn't shooting, there would have been at least 5 seconds left on the clock. In that scenario they make both FTs instead of make one, miss one and try for the tip. We have the ball up by 1 needing to inbound it. All sorts of bad things could happen at this point. At best they foul us with 4 seconds or so still on the clock.

ISU still had a timeout, so they had 2 chances to find an open man.

KSUcat

Sep 27, 2009

There would be 5 seconds at most. And then there shouldn't be much trouble inbounding the ball when you have two or three timeouts left. The odds are so much in ISU's favor to foul that I'm not sure why so many of you are against it. You HAVE to foul in that situation because it gives you the best opportunity to win.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
There would be 5 seconds at most. And then there shouldn't be much trouble inbounding the ball when you have two or three timeouts left. The odds are so much in ISU's favor to foul that I'm not sure why so many of you are against it. You HAVE to foul in that situation because it gives you the best opportunity to win.
I don't think too many people are against it, so much as they don't think fouling results in a guaranteed win (which is what it seems like a lot of people are saying). If we had fouled, I wouldn't have a problem with that, but I don't like the idea of allowing the officials to save Kansas. When you play at Kansas, it seems like you're playing 5 against 6 or 5 against 7. The officials give them so many breaks. I'd rather force Kansas to make an incredible shot, then foul and let the officials send Kansas to the line on a three point shooting foul.

BallSoHard4Cy

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
The argument Fred made was a good one. We have no height and and KU has Withey and Young we can get the boards. Plus you're missing Niang, who's also not very tall, but still very skilled. I think Fred made the right coaching move, but that's just my opinion. While I agree this would have been a positive program win, I think it's also I positive program loss. It hurts now, but now at least we know that these guys have got some kind of heart, and they'll be hungry. Texas better be scared.

Bobby45

Aug 15, 2012
I just can't believe how many people actually think that there is any chance in hell KU makes the first and then tips it back out for a 3. Compare how many times you've seen that happen vs. how many times you've seen a team come down and make a last-second 3-pointer. It's not even close.

I can somewhat buy the "make the first, tip in the second" argument although I still say that's a rare occurrence.

I agree with your analysis btw the way elijah johnson was shooting free throws HE would have MISSED 2 in a row and we would have rebounded the miss and been shooting free throws at the other end of the court.

Bottom Line We Blew It............

KSUcat

Sep 27, 2009
I don't think too many people are against it, so much as they don't think fouling results in a guaranteed win (which is what it seems like a lot of people are saying). If we had fouled, I wouldn't have a problem with that, but I don't like the idea of allowing the officials to save Kansas. When you play at Kansas, it seems like you're playing 5 against 6 or 5 against 7. The officials give them so many breaks. I'd rather force Kansas to make an incredible shot, then foul and let the officials send Kansas to the line on a three point shooting foul.

That's why you foul well before KU is looking to shoot the ball. Then, you don't have to worry about the officials sending KU to the line on a three point shooting foul. Plus, when KU is in a situation like they were last night and they need a three with little time left, they run the same play every time, which involves one or two passes, so you know whoever dribbles it up the court isn't a threat to shoot it. The play they ran last night at the end of regulation was essentially the same one they used to tie Memphis in '08.

KSUcat

Sep 27, 2009
The argument Fred made was a good one. We have no height and and KU has Withey and Young we can get the boards. Plus you're missing Niang, who's also not very tall, but still very skilled. I think Fred made the right coaching move, but that's just my opinion. While I agree this would have been a positive program win, I think it's also I positive program loss. It hurts now, but now at least we know that these guys have got some kind of heart, and they'll be hungry. Texas better be scared.

You have 4 guys down in the block compared to KU's 2. No matter how tall Withey is, the odds are in ISU's favor to get the rebound in that situation.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
You have 4 guys down in the block compared to KU's 2. No matter how tall Withey is, the odds are in ISU's favor to get the rebound in that situation.

Come on, the officials have yet to call a foul on Withey this year*. Do you honestly think they are going to call a foul on him when he climbs over our player to get the ball. They will call a foul when he puts it up and in though so he can go to the line for the win.

* Yes I know that is hyperbole, but 18 fouls in 14 games is ridiculous low especially when you see how he leans into the screens he sets at the top of the key and how he uses his off hand to gain leverage on the offensive player while he is blocking the shot with his other hand. He's a great player but he definitely is getting the elite calls this year.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

Why don't you worry about your own team and we'll worry about ours, OK?

My big fear with fouling is that the officials would swallow their whistles until Kansas was actually shooting. Also the offensive rebound thing with our short lineup would be a real concern.

BallSoHard4Cy

Apr 20, 2012
Ames

I know the odds. But the odds were also good that the offline 3 wouldn't bank. McLemore did not call bank by the way. Just a cocky attitude by a guy who was having some success. You can tell he's not staying another year.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I know the odds. But the odds were also good that the offline 3 wouldn't bank. McLemore did not call bank by the way. Just a cocky attitude by a guy who was having some success. You can tell he's not staying another year.

Self is going to have to pull another rabbit out of his hat next year, that is for sure. If McLemore leaves they will lose Young, Withey, Johnson, Releford along with him. To put that in perspective that would be:
100% of the steals,
100% of the blocks,
94% of the assists,
85% of the points,
82% of the minutes and
82% of the rebounds from last night's game.

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames

I hope the players remember his "I'm really good" attitude when they visit Hilton.

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
I can understand how people/fans would think you need to foul McLemore in the waning seconds of regulation up by three. But, I don't think people/fans should get on Coach Hoiberg's case for choosing not to foul. McLemore threw up a prayer, and it banked in. It was well defended by us. Yes, we could have fouled McLemore way before he came to the perimeter and have him earn it at the line. But, play this scenario---what if McLemore made the first free throw intentionally missed the second and Withey got the offensive board and stuffed it in. Would have equated to the same result. You know..you can Monday morning quarterback this thing forever!! I would say most coaches would not have fouled in that situation, and I think it was a good decision not to foul by Coach Hoiberg!

BallSoHard4Cy

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Self is going to have to pull another rabbit out of his hat next year, that is for sure. If McLemore leaves they will lose Young, Withey, Johnson, Releford along with him. To put that in perspective that would be:
100% of the steals,
100% of the blocks,
94% of the assists,
85% of the points,
82% of the minutes and
82% of the rebounds from last night's game.

They will reload. We know that for sure. They may be like UNC or UK this year.