Alert: THAT TIME OF YEAR: Need suggestions for Summer Series

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
1. Your top 5 plays in Iowa State sports history that, if given the chance, you could redo.

2. A feature on 1970s ISU football and its success, and why it wasn’t sustained.

3. Johnny’s turnaround of ISU hoops and creation of Hilton Magic.

4. Favorite Campustown establishments past and present.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Can you conduct a series of player/coach interviews? Would love to hear from Rudy Wade concerning summer conditioning. I could listen to Pollard, Walters, & Heft all day. Or bring in a few members of the women's basketball & volleyball teams. Ask them about "Wild Bill" Fennelly stories, what conference foes they love to hate, or favorite Bachelorette seasons.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Pete Taylor and the birth of ISU fandom...

If you are 40+ it is where and the only place to get isu b-ball and fball..

The call- Marv Seiler
The run- Seneca Wallace
Barry Stevens game winning shot vs Mizzou
2001 comeback vs Iowa
ISU first bowl game and win since forever

For 30 years one voice carried the soul of ISU Athletics.

Funny story about the Marv Seiler run. I was a young kid playing a pick up fball game in a grass lot with 5-6 neighborhood friends..We had the ISU/ Neb game on a boom box sitting on a picnic table just loud enough that if something was happening you could hear Taylor voice calling you to the boom box. Our QB was throwing a ball deep into the endzone and as it as caught for a TD we heard Taylor’s voice explode on the run by Seiler...6 kids went running to the boom box as Seiler was running down the sidelines...We all gathered around the picnic table listening to Taylor call the TD and put isu on top for good. I can still hear Pete’s voice on that call and it’s a day I and my friends won’t ever forget..It was a different era and way of following ISU athletics... That day cyclone fans were born and it was because of “ The Voice”.

Reactions: cyclones500

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Do a feature on the 2005 football season. For the following reasons --

-- It is one of the ultimate what if scenarios in Iowa State football history considering the quality of that defense and some of the offensive talent and how many close games it lost.

-- It was our chance to really break through nationally, like Mizzou and Kansas did a few seasons later, feasting on the weakness of the Big 12 North to launch ourselves.

-- I was a freshman on campus that season, and barely knew what was going on around me, and I think CW/Blum were juniors... wrap the thing in gooey nostalgia for warm fall days, the green grass of campus, and being young and innocent together.

-- You get to talk about 23-3 and the Tornado Game again. That is enough on its own. It was a cool season for its ups-and-downs and incredible stories just on their merits.

-- We get to imagine if we would have done better than 70-3 like Colorado did against Texas and having the honor of Vince Young destroying us up and down the field.

What Could Have Been, 14 Years Later -- The Story of the 2005 Iowa State Football Season

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Can you conduct a series of player/coach interviews? Would love to hear from Rudy Wade concerning summer conditioning. I could listen to Pollard, Walters, & Heft all day. Or bring in a few members of the women's basketball & volleyball teams. Ask them about "Wild Bill" Fennelly stories, what conference foes they love to hate, or favorite Bachelorette seasons.

Heft would be a great one!

I think people have tried before and she wasn’t interested but I am always intrigued by the admin assistant for basketball. She’s been around since Johnny and it seems like she would know everything.

Reactions: CYCLNST8

Nuts4Cy

Mar 21, 2006
Blum and I will launch season whatever of the Williams/Blum Summer Podcast Series later this week and are looking for topics you guys want us to tackle. Any suggestions?

Football & basketball recruiting during the last 15 years. Which high profile recruits almost signed, who visited but didn't sign, and how could their commitment have changed the team.

1a) What really happened with Eljin Cook and Richard Armandi recruitment's. Both signed but neither ended up at ISU. In Armandi's case - his scholarship was pulled late. The real reason why.

2a) The Wesley Johnson situation. What really happened.

3a) How did Bryce Dejean-Jones affect that 2014-15 team? Did he really throw a chair at halftime of the UAB game in the NCAA tournament? Was that the downfall of Hoiberg's 1st tenure in college in that he couldn't take the recruiting any longer after that detraction?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
There are always lots of suggestions for bad things—-what would have happened, etc. those are probably more interesting, but are depressing.

How about the inside story on good things?

1. The Oklahoma football game. When did insiders really start to hear Park was gone? Did the coaches really think Kyle was any good?

2. The turnaround in Montes senior year. How did it happen?

3. How did the team regroup and beat NC after Georges broke his foot?

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Deep dive into Jack Trice and Clyde Williams. Both have fascinating histories (most know more about Jack obviously)

Reactions: CYKID and Cycsk

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Transfer U Episode 4.

And a previously unplanned Episode 5 with just fart noises related to Fred doing west.

• Funny
Reactions: jcyclonee

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Deep dive into Jack Trice and Clyde Williams. Both have fascinating histories (most know more about Jack obviously)

Good idea. I don't know very much about Clyde Williams. Seems like it should be a bigger part of our fan knowledge base.