That burnt out feeling...

Hackgolfin72

Jan 30, 2015
Ankeny
Coming to CF on this Friday looking for some inspiration.

I've got that burnt out feeling w/ my current job. Just totally disinterested and bored. There are the obvious motivational factors: mortgage, cars, utilities, food, etc. With that being said, I still feel just "blah" about my current position.

Any CF's out there have any suggestions, maybe motivational books, music, videos, workouts, etc. that they've used to combat a similar feeling in the past? What have you done when you've experienced this? Again, aside from the above obvious things that we all go to work for everyday. Thought I'd come here for some wisdom and maybe a few tips/tricks on how to crank up my energy level.

HAPPY FRIDAY!

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
You tell that slimy piece of worm ridden filth you'll get such inspiration from us.
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...DDD93FF0D198A9B7A1D6DDD93FF0D198A9B&FORM=VIRE

On that note I am in the same boat as you and have been for awhile. I changed jobs within my company a couple of years ago. Worked for about a year and now have I feel pretty beat down. I am researching things to do for myself like buying a business or really getting into real estate. I hope to get out soon.

BTW, I would love if I was asked to leave and given a severance package out the door.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Read about and practice mindfulness. I think it gets a rap for being hippy-dippy and all that but it's more about the ability to be present. It tends to slow things down for me which is helpful.

Otherwise learning new interesting hobbies is fun. I recommend fly fishing to anyone who wants to learn patience and about all that's going on in any body of water.

Routine exercise and concentrating on a diet that's more about fuel for the body than just things that taste good never hurts (if that hasn't been taken into account).

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I started riding a bicycle. It's my therapy now. My wife understands it. It's great for working out. Meeting new people. Anytime I'm down about something I ride. I come back home a couple hours later a new person.

Also find some hobbies away from work.

the thing about these answers is it doens't change the 8+ hours a day people are at the job they don't like. riding a bike is great but it doens't change the constant dread of sitting in an unchallenging or bored environment for most of the week.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
I am in the process of saving Christmas, ( a major steamship line filed bankruptcy and containers are stuck on ships all over the world) I think jobs need to present challenges or they do become mundane. Sounds like your job does not present you any major hurdles.

Right now have lots of headaches trying to get a container out of China, Korea, etc but love it.

Because of time difference my hours suddenly shifted from day to more night, for the short term. So have to adjust personal calendars too.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
It'll almost certainly pass, as I go through that periodically. Finding a hobby will help. I'm a fan of Anthony Robbins "Awaken the giant within" just for the fact that it gets you to reassess things and examine them in a different light (and to take some action). He's kind of goofy, and I started to watch his Netflix show and turned it off because he's got a fairly off-putting approach now, but that book was really good for me.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Not sure if there is anything you think you would like better, or if in a position to do this, but maybe take some classes to do something else? Looks like you are close to educational opportunities.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I am in the process of saving Christmas, ( a major steamship line filed bankruptcy and containers are stuck on ships all over the world) I think jobs need to present challenges or they do become mundane. Sounds like your job does not present you any major hurdles.

Right now have lots of headaches trying to get a container out of China, Korea, etc but love it.

Because of time difference my hours suddenly shifted from day to more night, for the short term. So have to adjust personal calendars too.

WHY THE **** ARE YOU POSTING??? GO SAVE CHRISTMAS DAMMIT

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
the thing about these answers is it doens't change the 8+ hours a day people are at the job they don't like. riding a bike is great but it doens't change the constant dread of sitting in an unchallenging or bored environment for most of the week.

He asked about workouts and other stuff... Gave an answer. Sorry it doesn't help you out.

If things are as bad for you as you paint it to be... Then get a new job. It's simple really. I hated my previous job, it was a go no where thing that was heading to a slow death. I've been in my latest job for 10 years and love it. Yeah it can be boring and stressful and a pain in the ass. But life is too short not to find something you like. I could make more working somewhere else, but I make enough and enjoy it.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
WHY THE **** ARE YOU POSTING??? GO SAVE CHRISTMAS DAMMIT

Ha ha, because China/Korea/SE Asia/India are closed right now get a little down time.
Christmas will be saved.. (Save Christmas is a running joke from Family and friends since I pretty much don't spent time with either last 3 weeks)

Don't worry though, the PS4 virtual reality goggles will get there in time to spoil kids minds. (Anybody test these things out, freaking amazing)

Challenges are what make working interesting...

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I get that feeling of being burnt out quite often. It seems to come from not being challenged in new ways. When I get something different to deal with I can sit and work pretty much non stop. Sometimes I wish I would stretch it out.
One time I was asked if I would be able to write a call out program for a new client. I could have stretched that out for a couple of weeks but had the initial draft in front of the client within 24 hours.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
1. How long have you been in your current position and the workforce in total?
2. What do you like about your current role? Besides the fact that it pays the bills?
3. If looking for something new, what would you want out of that role? More responsibility, more variety, less stress, etc.
4. Can you get your answers from #3 from your current company? Could you talk to your manager about advancement opportunities or new projects you could be involved in? Are there currently things going on in your company that you think "yeah, I'd like to be a part of that."
5. Do you have hobbies outside of work?
6. Do you see friends often outside of work?
7. Do you currently exercise at all?

If you are going to work each day and then spending most of your time at home not putting any time into hobbies, friends, self-improvement, etc......that's a great recipe for burnout, imo. And not something likely to be remedied by a new role.

• Agree
Reactions: madguy30

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
I'm a firm believer that if you get to a point where you aren't looking forward to your job when you get up in the morning, if you're bored, uninspired, etc then it's time to start looking for another job. You spend so much time at your job, if you aren't happy it's gonna bleed into your personal life. It's just not worth that. If you really like the company, the benefits, or there isn't anything similar to your current job in your market that is hiring, try doing a reboot...take a week or two off (if you can) and 100% unplug from everything with your job. See how you feel when you've stepped away for a bit.

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
I was in the same boat this last spring. But, it was full on "hate my job". It got so bad I quit without another job. Took a couple of months to decompress, spend more time with my family, do some things around the house. I have a few connections that I was able to find something rather quickly that is exactly what I want to do for the remainder of my career, and I could not be happier.

Now I understand doing what I did is not feasible for everyone, but it's amazing what it can do to your stress level, outlook, sex life, attitude, sleep ability, energy level if you can. I cannot remember the last time I was this happy and content. Maybe when I was 8.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I went through exactly what you're talking about recently. I quit a job I liked (for personal reasons) and took a new job. The new job did not fit and I knew it at about 2 months in. I really struggled to find a purpose in that job. It was a good company with good people, but it just didn't fit me. I had to dig deep into what I wanted in life and in work. It took a lot of reflection and outward study/exploration to find what I really wanted. I'm in month 2 of a new job and I'm loving it.

Steps I recommend:
  1. Spend some time in a quiet place with a notepad. Think about your "why". Ask yourself why you do you what you do. What do you want in life? Why do you want it? As the old saying goes "A strong why can get you through any what"
  2. Talk to someone, maybe even multiple people. Seek out wisdom both inside and outside your current company. Talk to respected family members and friends. People are willing to help, you just need to ask.
  3. Make your decisions based on hope, not fear. Many people stay stuck in crappy jobs because they're afraid of change. There's good fear and bad fear, don't give into the bad fear.
Books I can recommend:
  • The Art of Work by Jeff Goins: Talks a lot about finding your "calling". It was a great read when I was going through what you are.
  • Quitter by Jon Acuff: I haven't read this one myself, but it's on my list
PM me if you want to talk more