Tamin Lipsey Commits

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Other names to watch tonight are LaBeaux and Phillips.

I believe LaBeaux is the #5 recruit in the state. He’s fun to watch - high energy, great ball handling and high level skills around the rim. I could see him playing D1 somewhere.

Phillips is a HS coaches best weapon. D1 Tight End who is difficult to move in the paint and can shoot the three.
I was not impressed with Lipsey.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
I thought he made some heads up plays, was good at drawing fouls and was crafty getting to the rim against a team that was longer and more athletic than Ames. He probably needs a little more arc on this free throws and jump shot. Echoing what others have said, he’s not overly athletic, I worry a tad about him staying in front of guys in the Big 12. Of course, maybe anyone would look sluggish when they play the whole game. I’m a random person with a an opinion but I think with college S&C and not being forced into being the number one scoring option he’ll be fine.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
How many games are you judging that on?
One - based upon that, I was not impressed.

And, for the person who asked, I watched the whole game.

And, I totally trust and believe in TJ. Great person and coach.

Of course, that is a minimal sample size. Hopefully just a bad night. I had a close friend who coached at ISU, and other places. He said if there is a D1 talent on the floor or field, you should be able to tell immediately. Lipsey did not stand out last night. Sorry - just what I observed.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
One - based upon that, I was not impressed.

And, for the person who asked, I watched the whole game.

And, I totally trust and believe in TJ. Great person and coach.

Of course, that is a minimal sample size. Hopefully just a bad night. I had a close friend who coached at ISU, and other places. He said if there is a D1 talent on the floor or field, you should be able to tell immediately. Lipsey did not stand out last night. Sorry - just what I observed.
The little bit I've seen him....I've walked away with the same thoughts. Trusting the staff though and rooting for Lipsey to have a great career as a Cyclone.

Reactions: cycloner29

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
You can tell a D1 player on the floor when they play in Iowa. When you’re the only D1 player going against 4 D1 players, it changes the playing field. He didn’t look amazing against Waukee last year either.

His shot is his biggest weakness. He has elite defense and ball handling skills for a high schooler and finishes well.

Ames doesn’t have a post. When they go against a kid like Bol last night or Biliew from Waukee, Lipsey is limited to just shooting.

While he will certainly see 7 footers at Iowa State, he will also have reliable posts who the 7 footers will have to respect. From there, he will make great decisions.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
Lipsey will be a great pg for us. His handle, vision, and high iq combined with his sneaky athleticism and tenacity on D give him a shot at being in the second tier of all time pgs at ISU. Don't see him being mentioned with the likes of Tinsley, Monte, and maybe even Stinson but will be right there in the mix with anybody else. Maybe I'm wrong but I just see this kid being a true pg for us and the glue that holds everything together.

OtownClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2021
I have watched a decent amount of Lipsey highlights prior to last night’s game and I am happy he will be a Cyclone. I saw him limping out there a bit last night. Did not look great last night overall. I agree in general with the premise that D1 talent should stand out (even in comparison to teammates). He didn’t seem to have that gear last night. But anyone expecting another Tyrese Hunter will probably be disappointed. Not on the same tier athletically and similar shot issues. Lipsey has good vision and passing. Good handle and agility. Just not as explosive as a guy like Hunter. He will be a good defender for his size. I think we see a different version of him if fully healthy, playing in smaller spurts, and when he gets coached to play with the level of intensity we are see from the Cyclones this year. I have hope that he will become a knock down shooter as well by the end of his ISU career.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
He is a pass 1st PG who does not turn the ball over, and is a borderline elite ball handler. At least to start his career he will be more of a Jacy Holloway type guy.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
He is a pass 1st PG who does both turn the ball over. At least to start his career he will be more Jacy Holloway than DeAndre Kane.

He will be able to come in without any pressure to be the guy with Hunter running the show. All he has to do with his minutes is play hard and be smart, get better everyday. It’s a cliche but it’s true

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
He will be able to come in without any pressure to be the guy with Hunter running the show. All he has to do with his minutes is play hard and be smart, get better everyday. It’s a cliche but it’s true
Yes. Play good defense, play smart on offense, and backup Hunter. Lipsey will have the easiest job on the team next season.

Reactions: CycloneVet

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Why are people questioning his athleticism? Isn't the kid an elite track star? He's got some amazing football highlights. Maybe he can't jump out of the gym, but he seems like a plus athlete to me.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneVet