Talk to me about Jim Walden

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I was visiting a relatives house today and discovered a signed photo of Jim Walden. I am a somewhat younger Cyclone who grew up playing on the hillsides pretending to be Troy. So, I was a bit young to have any first hand memories or knowledge of the Walden Era. I do have some second hand knowledge of him but would like to become more educated on this time of Cyclone Football. I thoroughly realize that this was not a good era by any stretch and I have heard that he was far from a great coach like the one we have now. But I know that if I ask this question on here, I will likely get a wealth of information on Mr. Walden. TIA

jay moe

Apr 10, 2006
southern iowa
He was handcuffed from the start with reduced scholarships because of Criner. Also didnt have very good facilities for a Big 8 school. Seemed like a great guy, just didn't really have a chance to succeed, recruiting was shaky too.

Reactions: Yorel Fusspucker

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
I'll never understand why he wouldn't play a guy who rushed for more than 4000 yards the next 2 seasons.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
I know many here who remember those days don't care for him but I liked the guy, I was in the 9-14 range when he coached and the thing I remember most is you did not know what the hell you were gonna see. He will always have that huge upset over Nebraska which as a kid was the coolest moment as a young cyclone fan.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
He was handcuffed from the start with reduced scholarships because of Criner. Also didnt have very good facilities for a Big 8 school. Seemed like a great guy, just didn't really have a chance to succeed, recruiting was shaky too.
Not to hijack my own thread, but I’ve heard about that. What exactly did Criner do?

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
I know many here who remember those days don't care for him but I liked the guy, I was in the 9-14 range when he coached and the thing I remember most is you did not know what the hell you were gonna see. He will always have that huge upset over Nebraska which as a kid was the coolest moment as a young cyclone fan.
Didn't he beat Oklahoma also. If I recall correctly, I went to the Des Moines Airport to greet him and the team coming back from the OU win. He and Johnny Orr were a hoot together, made some great commercials.

Reactions: Macloney

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

He won at Oklahoma, too. That was cool.

Reactions: LindenCy

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
He was able to adjust on the fly. Short on talent he'd find an offense to suit the available personnel. There was a game against Missouri I remember He just kept running 3 options out of the same play and they couldn't be stopped. Modern terminology would call it an RPO.

The commercials with Johnny were classic.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Besides OU and Nebraska there are 3 other games that stand out: 91 a 23-22 win at Mizzou behind 3rd string QB Kevin Caldwell, the 91 snow game against Colorado where if you got to the game you were able to come in and the crazy game at home with KU where both teams managed to blow 20 point leads and we lost. That game featured the good ol' fumblerooski.

Reactions: oldman and neiacy

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I remember the team singing the fight song after playing Oklahoma State to a tie in 1994....the closest thing to a win that season.

Tickets were easy to get and hard to get rid of.

In the moment I thought Walden was a joke. My first instinct is to say "SUCKS" when I hear his name

But looking back I realize he was trying to win games with the deck heavily stacked against him

Now....he's my pic on this CF deal.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
He was able to adjust on the fly. Short on talent he'd find an offense to suit the available personnel. There was a game against Missouri I remember He just kept running 3 options out of the same play and they couldn't be stopped. Modern terminology would call it an RPO.

The commercials with Johnny were classic.
Can someone find and post these?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I was young too but iirc he was likeable and goofy and in some ways kind of a good fit for what ISU had going at the time.

If you're going to be bad, you might as well be a little crazy.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
For some reason, switched to the triple option when we lacked running backs. Things fell apart from there.

That was right after the Steve Lester saga. Tried to use the "wind tunnel" excuse as to why he switched to the option, but I think he was fed up with the university administration.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I like Walden. He had probably the best special teams in America. But he had no resources or support from the administration.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Criner and Walden has no shot to win. They just had the worst facilities in college football. Rusty lockers, it was terrible. He didn’t play Troy because Troy could not learn the blocking assignments and had trouble remembering all the plays. Mixed with the fact they were just trying to get his grades and get him familiar with college and our state.

Reactions: CyBobby

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I thoroughly realize that this was not a good era by any stretch and I have heard that he was far from a great coach like the one we have now. But I know that if I ask this question on here, I will likely get a wealth of information on Mr. Walden. TIA

He was able to dig his way out of Criner's mess before creating his own.

Almost ended the Iowa streak in year 2 ('88).

Year 3 ('89) was a 6-5 season, which would be an automatic bowl game now. Probably would have been 7-4 and a shoe-in for a bowl had Shudak not gotten suspended.

Year 4 ('90) was set up with Pedersen and Bryant returning, but they both got hurt at Minnesota (4-point loss) and both missed the Iowa game (10-point loss). Those two losses, along with the tie against Kansas, kind of derailed the season. Oklahoma wasn't OKLAHOMA in that era, but it was still a road win over a ranked team.

Switched to the option in '91.

'92 had the first loss to UNI along with the Marv Seiler game. Both were inexplicable. The NU win probably saved his job.

The comeback home win over ranked KSU in '93 almost offset another oh-so-close game against Iowa.

And then 1994 happened.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
He went 6-5 one year (I think 1989) with Blaise Bryant as RB. Obviously now that would get you to a bowl game, but not back then.

FWIW, Bryant was an underrated running back who was fun to watch. As I remember, he was actually back for the 2011 Oklahoma State game.

Walden was a good guy who didn't have much of a shot at winning here.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The only two coaches I've talked with at official functions that didn't acted somewhat annoyed to be talking to some "commoner" alumni were Jim Walden and Paul Rhoads.

Somehow got on the subject of the 23-23 tie with Nebraska back when from when I was in school. Turned out Walden was an assistant for Nebraska at that time so that connected. Thought it was funny when he said "we" meaning Nebraska when we talked about that game, perfectly logical of course but still remember that for some reason. BTW, Johnny was hunkered down at the bar knocking down cocktails, didn't get a chance to chat with him at all. ;)

Reactions: Waukee4Cy