Tailgating Hacks

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I'm sure everyone has their list and supplies for tailgating items. We have a tote (grill, propane, larger items), a sterlite pull out drawers unit (spices, consumables, etc.) full of things for tailgating and extreme cooler.

Our supplies usually include the following but not limited to:
Propane tank and spare (small cylinders)
Paper towers, plates, napkins, silverware
Aluminum foil
Seasonings
Grill utensils
Trash bags
Clorox wipes
Food
Drinks

What is one thing you have discovered that is a must have for tailgating to make things easier/better?

Ours was using one of those sterlite pull out drawer organizers for all the small stuff (seasonings, utensils, paper plates, garbage bags, aluminum foil, etc.) We just lay it on its back when driving so stuff doesn't go all over and just set it up right when we get there. Here is an example:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilit...hguid=aecbd19b-d45-16c3e7e1da1627&athena=true

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
pack-perfect-beer-cooler-800x800.jpg

Put beer and ice in a cooler to keep it cold.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I'm sure everyone has their list and supplies for tailgating items. We have a tote (grill, propane, larger items), a sterlite pull out drawers unit (spices, consumables, etc.) full of things for tailgating and extreme cooler.

Aluminum foil
Seasonings
Grill utensils
Trash bags
Clorox wipes
Food
Drinks

What is one thing you have discovered that is a must have for tailgating to make things easier/better?

Ours was using one of those sterlite pull out drawer organizers for all the small stuff (seasonings, utensils, paper plates, garbage bags, aluminum foil, etc.) We just lay it on its back when driving so stuff doesn't go all over and just set it up right when we get there. Here is an example:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilit...hguid=aecbd19b-d45-16c3e7e1da1627&athena=true

Recommendations in priority order:

4. Broom for sweeping the gravel from our spot on the "pavement."
3. Rake for taking care of leaves in the grass.
2. Orange cone for saving some space in front of our RV.
1. Tailgate fund bucket to encourage contributions!

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
If you put the sterlite drawers with the front tight against the wall of your truck bed, you should be okay. I find things get more messed up if I turn it on its back because then things fall out the open top.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
pack-perfect-beer-cooler-800x800.jpg

Put beer and ice in a cooler to keep it cold.

Low-budget tailgating tip:

Take the cans or bottles out of a case of beer (6, 12, 24, 30 pack).
Put a plastic bag inside the case, leaving a wide side open.
Fill partially with ice.
Put the cans back in, adding more ice occasionally.

Ta da. You have your own disposable cooler.

It won't keep them cool for long, but it works well when you show up at a tailgate with a pre-chilled case and a bag of ice.

• Winner
Reactions: 0u812

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Couple seasons ago we added a camp stove that’s been pretty cool to do some different recipes with.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
jello shot syringes are great and less messy than the little cups.

Also, After the first game last year when we weren't paying close enough attention. We let or battery on the bus get too low. (The power inverter was supposed to cut out before this would happen) didnt have jumpers in the bus yet. Luckily a nearby truck had some so we traded some food and a beer for a jump start. Now we make sure to have a booster pack, Jumpers, and a battery charger that can run off the generator. We also put in a much larger battery.

Even if you don't think you will need it, you could save the day for someone (as was the case for us.) This is why I always keep jumpers in my vehicles. We just had neglected to put any in our new bus yet.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Wranglerstar on youtube just uploaded his water solution for his outdoor kitchen on his conversion van.
Looks like it could be nice to have at a tailgate.
I have 2 5 gallon water cans and I very well may buy one or two of the valve kits he tests here. Mainly for hand washing or getting most of the gunk out of cooking supplies.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

Aluminum foil
Seasonings
Grill utensils
Trash bags
Clorox wipes
Food
Drinks

One thing I've come to rely on is baby wipes for wiping hands and faces. You have Clorox wipes, which work well for surfaces, but are a bit harsh on skin.
Since we've had the third little one, baby wipes have become much more common and well used in our house and for camp outs/tailgates. You can get ones for sensitive skin (with less fragrance) that don't make you smell like a fresh diaper as well.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I always have medical exam style rubber gloves in my tailgating kit. Put on a pair before I handle any raw meat and then throw them in the trash when I'm done. Works pretty slick.

I get what your saying, just had to go there!! :):)

4" PVC pipe about 2' long filled with concrete and an eye bolt on one end. One tube at each corner of our canopy hanging by a bungee cord and a piece of velcro to wrap around the canopy leg. No need to anchor it down on asphalt and doesn't take up a lot of space. Also a spring loaded fold down canvas trash can.

Can't forget duct tape for Edward Forty Hands either!! Never know when 40 oz beers show up at your tailgate.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I get what your saying, just had to go there!! :):)

4" PVC pipe about 2' long filled with concrete and an eye bolt on one end. One tube at each corner of our canopy hanging by a bungee cord and a piece of velcro to wrap around the canopy leg. No need to anchor it down on asphalt and doesn't take up a lot of space. Also a spring loaded fold down canvas trash can.

Can't forget duct tape for Edward Forty Hands either!! Never know when 40 oz beers show up at your tailgate.
Small (2-3 gal.) bucket half full of Quikcrete with bolts sunk in the concrete. Shorter canopy legs sit on top of the concrete and secure down with wingnuts on the bolts. It raises the canopy half a foot higher and anchors it down at the same time. We have 8 of these, 4 with two bolts each and 4 with 1 bolt each so we can anchor all 3 of our canopies down side by side. Handles make easy carrying and you can still stack them for storage.

Height is an issue because he have several regular tailgaters well over 6 foot.

Last edited:

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
We also do the Sterilite drawers. Changed our lives. I still lay it down because I can get all my tailgating crap in the truck and still roll up the tonneau. I believe it'd be too tall to stand up under it.

• Agree
Reactions: jdcyclone19