Tailgating 101: Must have essentials

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I probably sit for 20 minutes the entire time I'm tailgating. I have to sit at work. I have to sit when I drive down to Central Iowa for the game, and sit when I drive home.

I'm not going to sit while I tailgate. Hard to play bags, catch, beerball, flippy cup, etc from a chair.

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
Last edited:

yler4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA
I just bought a 22ft flag pole. It has worked great for camping and can't wait to use it for tailgating. The whole setup will be in full effect next weekend.

ThurgoodMarshal

Jul 18, 2011
Ankeny, IA
A sack to carry beers from the grass lot tailgate to the paved tailgate, that way you dont have to trust a friend not to lose your cooler during games. A lockable cooler so you dont come out to find your beers missing to some highschool kids. 12 packs of ciggerettes. You would be amazed at how many ciggerettes 20 people who dont smoke can smoke during a 6 hour tailgate.

This! I used to find it shocking how many cigarettes the non-smoker's would blow through when there's alcohol around.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
I fly a 6' x 10' American flag in G7. :wink:

Should clarify - only 6'x10' Iowa State flag in the north lots :biggrin: I'm sure you've experienced the joy of easily directing friends to your tailgate, "Yeah, see the big flag? Yeah the biggest one. That's us."

The 16' pole now has a I-State on top, Jolly Roger on the bottom. Vintage (late 70s/early 80s) pennant hanging off the hatch strut (the same one that Webster had in his room, IRRC.)

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Should clarify - only 6'x10' Iowa State flag in the north lots :biggrin: I'm sure you've experienced the joy of easily directing friends to your tailgate, "Yeah, see the big flag? Yeah the biggest one. That's us."
Haha, yep! One of the funniest times was when a person passed us while talking on their phone, clearly looking lost, and I overheard "I dunno, I'm by the big @$$ American flag."

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Hot tub. Only thing about this is that the next year after we brought our hot tub on a trailor for multiple games, they made a rule for no Jacuzzis allowed. I said good thing we have a hot tub and not a Jacuzzi then.

Why would they ban a jacuzzi? It's not like you're pumping water out of a faucet on their dime. Fear of drunken nudity? Fear of spreading skin funguses? I don't get it.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Hot tub. Only thing about this is that the next year after we brought our hot tub on a trailor for multiple games, they made a rule for no Jacuzzis allowed. I said good thing we have a hot tub and not a Jacuzzi then.
So much win right here. I'm jealous I didn't think of this first!

livinthedream

Feb 4, 2008
Elk River Mn
I drilled 2 holes in the upper most section and put the zip ties thru the holes and into the flag, I then zip tie it to the ladder on the motorhome. works awsome and stores nicely.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Haha, yep! One of the funniest times was when a person passed us while talking on their phone, clearly looking lost, and I overheard "I dunno, I'm by the big @$$ American flag."

tailgating directions are the best. "ya uh, i'm like not on the fence line, but right across the gravel, oh hey man whats up long time no see, uh like 5 cars down from the campanile towards the bridge, oh ya I'll play bags with you give me a sec, no not central campus campanile you idiot, the one by reiman garden. Hey grab me a beer to while your at it. See the big Walking Cy Flag by the blue tent, ya near that." Except you have to add in the phone cutting out half the time.

mganzeveld

Jun 14, 2010
Cedar Rapids
Those of you who are looking for ISU tailgate tents in Cedar Rapids, I just picked up one at Samsclub for $139. This is the same one that is on Amazon for $199 and on the Walmart site for $159. If you have a membership, they presently have two ISU tents left!