Suspect Play Calling

HoibergIsMyHero

Mar 15, 2014
Is it just me or have we lost our marbles this year in play calling? A few calls stand out in this game:

Down 14 and we have the ball on the OU 45 and it's 3rd and 4 and we decide to punt when our defense was getting shredded like swiss cheese. Why not go for it and try to gain some momentum?

We stop OU on a big 4th and 1. We do the zone read, an option, a slant, and go 3 and out. All momentum lost. I know CW did not like that series. Why not throw a deep ball to Lazard or a pump and go like we saw in the 2nd half to Montgomery?

1:30 or so left in the first half. Do we try and get some points or pack it in and kick off to OU to start the 2nd half? Seems like we choose the latter as we run a QB draw, aren't in any rush, and don't take a timeout. Then we have a couple of nice plays, but by the time we get to field goal range, the clock runs out.

I know Mangino is calling the plays and has control, but can't Rhoads get involved in some of these situations? Frustrating.

FanatiClone

Sep 26, 2012
wherever i go, there i am
Yeah, not exactly sure why Mangino hasn't been called out like Wally. We looked almost as unprepared offensively today as we did on defense. I know MM's history, which makes it all the more perplexing that he didn't put a better game plan together.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Yeah, not exactly sure why Mangino hasn't been called out like Wally. We looked almost as unprepared offensively today as we did on defense. I know MM's history, which makes it all the more perplexing that he didn't put a better game plan together.
I think the one important thing you're forgetting is they're waaaaaayyyyyyyyyy better than us, gameplan shmameplan, their players are heads and tails above ours.

HoibergIsMyHero

Mar 15, 2014
Seemed like we also gave up on the WR bubble screens that had been working so well as a substitute for a run game and didn't target West until later in the game.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I think the one important thing you're forgetting is they're waaaaaayyyyyyyyyy better than us, gameplan shmameplan, their players are heads and tails above ours.

Yes, they are better, but the OP has a point (though we never punted on 3rd down :smile:). The play calling was abysmal.

That said, it was almost a complete team effort. We were dog **** in almost every phase of the game. The lone exception? Punt coverage. Special Teams, Baby!!

Last edited:

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
All 3 phases of the game deserve ridicule today. I wasn't impressed with anything today.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Yes, they are better, but the OP has a point (though we never punted on 3rd down :smile:). The play calling was abysmal.

That said, it was almost a complete team effort. We were dog **** in almost every phase of the game. The lone exception? Punt coverage. Special Team, Baby!!
Also though I'd say no less than a dozen terrible throws/miscommunications/WR drops.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Seemed like we also gave up on the WR bubble screens that had been working so well as a substitute for a run game and didn't target West until later in the game.

Im going to say it...I've thought this for a long time, but never wanted to bring it up because I didn't want to rock the boat...I don't think West makes our offense better.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Digging into play calling after getting physically dominated in all aspects of the game is like checking to see what radio stations you have tuned into your car radio after the wrecked car has been towed away after crashing into a train.

FanatiClone

Sep 26, 2012
wherever i go, there i am

I agree whole heatedly that OU has more talent on the field than us. However, that said, MM called a very conservative game and didn't make any significant game time adjustments. A poor game plan was part of the issue.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Digging into play calling after getting physically dominated in all aspects of the game is like checking to see what radio stations you have tuned into your car radio after the wrecked car has been towed away after crashing into a train.

You might have a good little metaphor working for you, unless you've read the game thread. No hindsight here, Fella.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Every went into the game expecting to lose.

So, are you saying the staff kept this one close to the vest, so as not to tip Kansas off?? Did Paul mention this in the post game?

"We were well aware of the talent gap between us and them. Now...we have a team, next week, who we match up with...at least a heck of a lot better than we do with Oklahoma. I mean, did you see those kids out there? They have a bunch of cyborgs in Norman. I can't run a nice game plan out there. Shoot, Kansas would have some decent film to review if we did that."

If that's the case, fantastic game plan.

Last edited:

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Any slim to none chance that we had to win this game ended after we stopped OU on 4th and 1 at midfield with the score 21-7, and proceeded to go conservative on offense instead of going for the jugular and went 3 and out and gave the ball right back.

When you have a glimmer of a chance to put some doubt in OU's minds, you HAVE to go for it. But we go back to running the offense that you'd run if you thought you could pull out a 10-7 type win. Hard to explain.

Every time we've thrown deep this year, it's been successful or just an incomplete pass for the most part. Today we did it twice, and got a PI call on one and a TD on the other. But then never did again.

HoibergIsMyHero

Mar 15, 2014
Any slim to none chance that we had to win this game ended after we stopped OU on 4th and 1 at midfield with the score 21-7, and proceeded to go conservative on offense instead of going for the jugular and went 3 and out and gave the ball right back.

When you have a glimmer of a chance to put some doubt in OU's minds, you HAVE to go for it. But we go back to running the offense that you'd run if you thought you could pull out a 10-7 type win. Hard to explain.

Every time we've thrown deep this year, it's been successful or just an incomplete pass for the most part. Today we did it twice, and got a PI call on one and a TD on the other. But then never did again.

This exactly. Reminds me of when we forced Baylor to a 3 and out and then ran it 3 straight times...

Or when we packed it in at half against Baylor.

It's like we play to not get beat that bad... doesn't seem to work though.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
CPR's clock management and play calling (or his O-coach both) have been very poor at the end of the first halves.....bush league in fact. ABS...Always be scoring. taking knees and running draws are lazy coaching and dumb really when you are ISU and you are trying to WIN against often times superior competition and not just managing a game against an FCS cupcake....oops.
For the record....I similarly defend CPR on his fake punts and fourth down tries.

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
"Suspect play calling" today is the same as a leaky faucet on the Titanic.

Cyclophile1

Dec 14, 2009
Overland Park, KS

We had obvious execution errors on about half our plays, most of them were just basic fundamental football too. Our plain execution of plays was terrible. OU had something to do with a few of them, but we were just OFF and not ready to play today in many areas on both offense and defense. We flat out sucked in the passing game.